• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wingtips with shorts?

random512

Reaction score
I've seen some pics online of wingtips worn with shorts. This can look pretty good I think. Brogued wingtips have always seemed too ornate too me but with shorts I think they could have a nice, modern, well-heeled look. I was thinking about getting a pair of the AE McAllisters in Walnut and then applying Saphir Renovator.

Saphir Renovator provides a nice conditioned look to the leather and darkens it a bit without making it look as glossy as pate de luxe, although I love pate de luxe for office shoes. AE's walnut shoes come with a natural brown sole edge as well so I think if I keep the natural brown sole edge then this would also help these shoes look more convincing with shorts. Also, I think wearing a $425 pair of AE's with shorts would be a classy touch at face value. Agree or disagree?

Last edited:

greenhouse

Reaction score
I would not do this. Shorts are too casual. A dress shoe is a dress shoe, even if you try to make it more casual by choosing a country color. It will not look classy; it will look odd.

LLEE

Reaction score
The McAllister is a very nice Oxford, and therin is the issue. Full brogue derbys are hard enough, an Oxford with shorts is a huge no for me.
To sport a brogue with shorts requires the perfect shoe, with a sole that compliments the shorts cut. A grain gunboat is fairly casual, but storm welts and shorts is a walking contradiction, but a lot of the nicer single soled look too ‘refined’ for shorts.
If you’re at all questioning if the shoe in question would work, you don’t have the ‘sprezzacodeformessy’ to pull it off. Probably because no one can pull off Oxfords with shorts.

Blake Stitched Blues

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a hard no for me unless they're open laced, chunky, suede and on crepe soles. These would work in my opinion.

Also, bespoke shorts?

6a475020dcd8372477e2e10d30093459.jpg

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trolling again?

It's a crazy idea, shorts are by their nature, casual, relaxed wear; any form of formal dress is utterly out of place in their company. Do you wear a tie with a polo shirt as well?

Just ten days after asking about how to polish shoes, you are now giving advise on the subject? QED

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Also, I think wearing a $425 pair of AE's with shorts would be a classy touch at face value.

So the whole point is to call lots of attention to how much you paid for your shoes?

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No. Those guys look terrible.

Few people look good in shorts in general. Wingtips are clunky. It’s a hard look to pull off well. Nick Wooster and Mark Mcnairy are among a small group of people I’ve seen pull this off.

Stop talking and wear it already. Post pics of your failure. Get feedback. Try it again and again until you get it right. All this talking is useless.

You also should learn how to embed photos in a post. Nobodies trying to visit outside links.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
What, you don’t like viruses and malware?

alexSF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a very bad look, especially with walnut color

I tried years ago to wear a pair of red sole dirty bucks with shorts (they theoretically should work) but seeing me in the mirror I laughed at myself.

If you want to be "classy" buy a good quality pair of suede penny or tassel loafers, they're perfectly fine with shorts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads