• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why would anyone wear pleated pants?

ozymandias

Reaction score
Can someone explain it to me, flat front look so much better. Why would anyone ever want to have a puffy looking ass.

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The flat front looks unmasculine for all except the very thin

It adds a level of comfort which flat fronts can not provide

English reverse pleats are the true way to go

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ozymandias
Can someone explain it to me, flat front look so much better. Why would anyone ever want to have a puffy looking ass.
They look better with pant creases. You can always slim down the rest of the pants.

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If SF was around in 1984 I'm sure the opposite would be posted. I don't wear pleated pants, but when done well I can respect them.

article400_wallst_gordongecko-420x0.jpg

mt_spiffy

Reaction score
With flat fronts, sometimes the fabric bunches up in the groin area.

I prefer single pleats but I am not picky.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't know why other.

Single pleats seem fine, but once you get past that then the imagery just reeks of mediocre Macys trousers.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif

Let me just get back to watching the Steelers getting beat, 'cause there's too much dumb **** being posted here.

MrBon

Reaction score
pleats are great for over weight yuppies who need to hide their mid-section by wearing their pants above their hips. Flat fronts are in and are great if you wear your pants at the belly button/hips. if your a pear shape man... go with pleats for camouflage.

Pleated pants makes your body look heavier/fuller, if you're tall and thin you can pull off pleats without any draw backs. Many men love pleated pants, i like a flat front pants, fitted at the leg, crotch, and butt.

Go with your style and taste.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pleats look **** when they're worn where flat fronts are meant to be worn. Pleated pants are meant to be worn closer to the true waist (e.g. belly-button) , while flat fronts are meant to be worn lower, where you might wear jeans (e.g. just above the butt).

I only like pleats when they're worn with suspenders, but that's just me.

Butterfly

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hendrix
Pleats look **** when they're worn where flat fronts are meant to be worn. Pleated pants are meant to be worn closer to the true waist (e.g. belly-button) , while flat fronts are meant to be worn lower, where you might wear jeans (e.g. just above the butt). I only like pleats when they're worn with suspenders, but that's just me.
You're onto something there. But to the person who said flat-fronts look unmasculine: please consider the fact that pleating is a technique borrowed from women's tailoring. It echoes the folds of a pleated dress. I like single-pleats, but like hendrix said, they should never be worn with a belt...

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've learned a lot from this very informative thread. Thanks for starting it.

facepalm.gif

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You got it wrong. The pleats go in the front.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Only one side of your trousers should be pleated, the other flat.

Which side is personal and depends on where the banana hangs.

- B

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member