• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why Facial Hair?

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I've sported a beard or a goatee a few times. Mostly it's when I get bored with the clean shaven look and just want to do something different. However, I haven't done it recently. Last time I started it came in mostly grey and added the appearance of about 5-10 years to my age.

I may try again at some point, but you really have to be in the right position where the first few weeks of stubble and scraggly beard aren't a big deal and won't cause an image problem on the job or in social situations.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Keeps my face warm in the winter, plus razor blades are the biggest ripoff I can think of.

jpb

Reaction score
I grew a beard when I turned 35. When I turn 50 I will shave it off and everyone will suddenly be amazed how young I look without the gray beard.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ I had two people comment this week on how they thought I was much younger than I am. I think that the facial hair and slightly long hair have something to do with it.

Kohan

Reaction score
My father has worn a beard my entire life, so I always knew it was a possibility. I gave it a shot for the first time about a year ago, and it was like this grand epiphany in that I felt I looked more like myself. Mrs. Kohan seems to appreciate as well.

I also get much better service now (at restaurants, etc), which is rather amusing.

+1000 on the face-blanket, definitely helps in the cooler months!

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Economics and warmth seem to be minor reasons why men have beards. (They should have been in the poll.) Though in non-tropical Third World countries, they might be major reasons.

Is it fair to say that, if a man has been clean-shaven or has had significant facial hair for years, he's unlikely to switch?

EnglishGent

Reaction score
This thread plus a friends email today has made me decide to have a No Shave November

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant
Economics and warmth seem to be minor reasons why men have beards. (They should have been in the poll.) Though in non-tropical Third World countries, they might be major reasons.

Is it fair to say that, if a man has been clean-shaven or has had significant facial hair for years, he's unlikely to switch?

yeah, I have had two sets of facial hair in 20 years - I had a mustache for 5 or so, then I added the goatee. I have shaved my whole face twice in 20 some years - first time was an accident, second time when I interviewing for a job.

I may add a full beard when I am older, but probrably not for 20 years or so. now I am very happy with the set of wiskers I have.

algernon

Reaction score
Goatees are like a mullet for your face....the old Appalachian/Floridian calling card.
My hair and cheap suit say, 'I'm strictly business' but the goatee says, 'I listen to Van Hagar and go Jet Skiing on the weekends and drink lots of beer and have a subtly hidden tribal tattoo band on my upper arm.'

I see lots of goatees through the week and very, very few actually look good. Most just make people look older or like someone you'd see at a Nickelback concert.

The indie/art beard was just as tough to stomach a three years ago when all the hipsters were trying to look like rugged mountain men to contrast their tattoos and women's jeans and leather wrist straps.

Just another way to fit in sometimes and another way to identify yourself with a particular group.
If you're going to do it, do it proper and grow a handlebar mustache.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think you are vastly underestimating the need for facial warmth. An ex girlfriend bought me a scarf once, but I never wear it. A beard works much better and is easier.

Asch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reggs
Truth is, most men do it to give the illusion of a chin they are too fat to have.
Or that they just don't have. I'm a skinny guy, and my beard helps to compensate for a rather weak chin and jawline. I've had girlfriends ask me to shave it off, convinced that they always prefer the clean-shaven look, but invariably they change their minds once they see how my facial proportions are a bit "off" without the beard
smile.gif

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe so, but hats arguably are even easier and very popular (mainly in a style grown men shouldn't wear). Also, if beards are grown in large part for warmth, why does it seem like most men have them year-round rather than seasonally? Observation: beards probably are less popular among stylish men than men in the general population. Percentage of men who wear hats regularly and are bearded - unknown.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I would actually argue that if you're going to wear a hat, it does look better with some facial hair or a pair of glasses. I guess because the hat covers the hair on the top of your head, balancing it out with a beard looks better. Even some Indiana Jones type stubble can make a hat look better to me.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe so, but hats arguably are even easier and very popular (mainly in a style grown men shouldn't wear). Also, if beards are grown in large part for warmth, why does it seem like most men have them year-round rather than seasonally? Observation: beards probably are less popular among stylish men than men in the general population. Percentage of men who wear hats regularly and are bearded - unknown.

Are you equating a hat with a beard in terms of warmth?

They cover different areas, unless you include a balaclava in the catchall of "hat".

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads