• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why do so many people get the fabric cut on their trousers when hemming the pants?

forbritisheyes

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'd like to ask this, because I don't understand the thought process - it doesn't make much sense to me long term. Wouldn't it also add extra weight, which is good if you like wear plain bottoms?

And for the love of God It makes purchasing suits difficult. Can't all the extra fabric get hemmed under when getting it altered for the right inseam? I see so many suits in Long sizes with 30"/31" inseams with jackets that have 26"+ sleeves and I think that they should just stick with regulars.

Last edited:

Alvinbmx

Reaction score
If I understand your concern correctly, some pants/trouser cannot be left uncut as it tapers down quite drastically. In this case, it is better to cut it unless your tailor knows how to keep it.

forbritisheyes

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
If I understand your concern correctly, some pants/trouser cannot be left uncut as it tapers down quite drastically. In this case, it is better to cut it unless your tailor knows how to keep it.

Both my tailors(my grandpa and his competitor) used to make bespoke so I always feel their work is magic when it comes to my suits, but I read several posts on AAAC and here were some tailors were saying this is why they encourage people to keep as much fabric as possible.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most unfinished pants have inseams of 38". If you are say a 32" inseam, you'd have to fold over 6".

This would, imho, look weird, drape weird, and feel very heavy.

forbritisheyes

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I have a 33" inseam. I can understand 6" would be odd. I'm just thinking maybe 3". If you end up selling it like many do, it can be a benefit.

biged781

Reaction score
I'd like to ask this, because I don't understand the thought process - it doesn't make much sense to me long term. Wouldn't it also add extra weight, which is good if you like wear plain bottoms?

That's subjective. I have had temporary hems done like this and I *hate* how it makes the break look. Too bulky, it always breaks at the point in which the edge of the fold occurs.

forbritisheyes

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
That's subjective. I have had temporary hems done like this and I *hate* how it makes the break look. Too bulky, it always breaks at the point in which the edge of the fold occurs.

I didn't consider this - I don't know how this skipped my mind. That is a very valid point, about the break. I guess I'll have to become wealthy so I can buy everything new so I don't have to scour for a long inseam.

CrAz3D

Reaction score
Probably because they don't ask the tailor not to, so the tailor does it however he/she wants to.

/endthread
this. I told alterations person (chinese lady w/"okay" english) I like cuffs. She apparently took that as nonbinding language and didn't cuff the pants. they're narrow at the bottom, so they look fine, but I was kinda upset.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cchristopher