• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why Days Of Wearing A Tie Are Numbered

Avers

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
I will wear ties 'till I'm in the grave. Actually, I'll be wearing a tie in my grave.
And what kind of a tie would that be?
bigstar[1].gif
Your post reminds me a military uniform collector I know, who insists to be put into his grave in full parade German imperial uniform. Unfortunately is does not include a tie, but there are some decorations they wore on a neck ribbon. Avers

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Avers
And what kind of a tie would that be?
bigstar[1].gif

Your post reminds me a military uniform collector I know, who insists to be put into his grave in full parade German imperial uniform. Unfortunately is does not include a tie, but there are some decorations they wore on a neck ribbon.

Avers

How interesting.

Didn't they wear the Iron Cross on a neck ribbon?

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kolecho
Tieless is fine, as long as one is not in a suit. I hate that look.

Agreed.

I don't wear a tie as often as I would like although it was an asset given the hot summers we had in Atlanta.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The infantilization of North America continues unabated. I for one will continue to tell society to feck it self by wearing a tie and loving it.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I might add that I do consulting for senior bankers and most of them seem to wear a sportcoat and nice trousers. I find a sportcoat and nice collared shirt plus Incotex trousers is a good play.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kuro
This logic is kind of flawed; i'm also more comfortable walking around my house in my boxer shorts, does this mean my pants don't fit?

You've said that it's more uncomfortable to have top button on your shirt done up because it "restricts" your neck. A shirt that fits well would not restrict your neck uncomfortably.

Your analogy is off-target. If you had said that you are more comfortable shirtless than shirted, and I told you that you would change your view if you wore a fitted shirt, it would be more apt.

If you are more comfortable without pants, that is all I really need to know on that subject. But if you said you're more comfortable walking around with your pants unbuttoned because buttoning them constricts your waist, I would suspect your pants do not fit.

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lawyerdad;695168 said:
You've said that it's more uncomfortable to have top button on your shirt done up because it "restricts" your neck. A shirt that fits well would not restrict your neck uncomfortably.QUOTE]

How can you be an expert on how my shirts fit when you have never seen me or my shirts? Yes, I said "restrict" but I didn't say what is restricted (actually it is the flow of air to my neck/upper chest that I don't like to restrict) and I never said my shirts choke me when I button the top button and wear a tie. You just assumed that when I said "restrict" I meant choke. Also, why do you think fit is synomous with comfort? When I buy sweaters, I buy v-necks not turtle-necks not because turtle-necks don't fit, but because I like that area open as it is more comfortable. It makes no sense that you think that if someone is more comfortable not buttoning every button on an article of clothing it must be because that article of clothing doesn't fit; when I wear polo shirts, I like almost 99% of the people I see don't button the top button. Thanks.

Sartorian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think he means, generally, when things fit better, they are more comfortable. Nowadays, with baggy being the expected and accepted norm, people thing 'comfort'=loose with lots of air and extra fabric.

I've personally found that once I started actually getting clothing that fit me well, my movement was less restricted than when I was wearing, for example, pants with the crotch fabric hanging between my lower thighs and grabbing every time I walked. It is easier to move and walk when a person's extremities are free to do so, and baggy tends to interfere with that goal. I myself have gotten so addicted to a good fit that even a few cm of loose fabric where it shouldn't be drives me up the wall.

But obviously, you know what you like, so it's up to one's individual preference.

One thing about fabric that is nice, though, is that even when it feels a bit tight, after ten minutes or so of wearing it, it loosens up and conforms to your movements. That's the way I feel about ties, and they certainly complete an outfit.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
How interesting. Didn't they wear the Iron Cross on a neck ribbon?
Only the knight's crosses and upwards were worn at the collar. First and second class were worn on the breast/from a lower button. This is common for many orders and decorations.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jeff Naylor
Until they tell me to stop, I'll be wearing a jacket and tie to work.
Yep. We have a coat-and-tie rule at work, but most, including me, seem to think that a suit is a simpler outfit to put together than an odd jacket/trou.
Originally Posted by Steve B.
The pocket square is the new tie.
Sadly, there might be something in this...

Reaction score
I hate ties. Thankfully, the days of wearing nooses as "proper dress" are almost over.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike
Only the knight's crosses and upwards were worn at the collar. First and second class were worn on the breast/from a lower button. This is common for many orders and decorations.
Interesting. So, I suppose all of these are Knight's Crosses.
kluge1.jpg
goering.gif

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I love the idea of formerly conservative items becoming symbols of rebellion--suits, ties, fountain pens, hats.

+1

I actually dress right for 2 main reasons, first because I like it, second as a rebelion to the decline of respect modern men show for their profesional lives, work partners and the civilisation in general, shown by the horrendous way they dress nowadays.

Guys where I work come even to work in sports clothes or heavy metal concert T-shirts.... I come in a sharp suit and tie.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads