• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why a Black Suit is the Most Versatile Choice

What is the most versatile suit colour?

• Total voters

HanEyeAm

Reaction score
Wow, some serious heat in here! Thanks, OP, for sparking a useful discussion.

On a slightly different topic, I've been trying to sort out how I might wear a black blazer in casual, evening settings with slacks or nice denim. Haven't quite figured it out yet.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, some serious heat in here! Thanks, OP, for sparking a useful discussion.

On a slightly different topic, I've been trying to sort out how I might wear a black blazer in casual, evening settings with slacks or nice denim. Haven't quite figured it out yet.

This probably depends highly on your style and the setting. For some reason, I fee that this look really needs denim and that chinos somehow create too much formality still. That is, the denim is so much more informal that it can take the black coat down in formality enough for some kinds of situations. Maybe go with very dark indigo selvedge jeans, black brogues, and the black sport coat with thin lapels?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Total BS!

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Black suits for funerals comes up frequently on Styleforum but I question if it is even relevant anymore. I attended a funeral recently in the Bay Area and no one wore a black suit. I was the only one in a dark suit (navy). Pretty much everyone else (100+ people) wore sport coats if they even wore a jacket. Women wore muted colors, but I don't recall seeing any of them wearing black except my wife.

I can't say that what people wore mattered. Those who attended celebrated the life of a wonderful person who lived life to the fullest. That is all that mattered.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The poll results, at this moment, seem to contradict this argument.

BXpress

Reaction score
Charcoal is perfectly fine for funerals (ofc not with a medallion tie):

Cappellimadder3.jpg

the colour may be as exciting as pudding in a retirement home but you can use it for everything else too. Also funerals make up 0.001% of my life so..

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wearing a black suit to a black tie event seems like a bigger faux pas than wearing a grey suit to a funeral.

Don't recall the last time I went to a Funeral where people wore black suits other than the immediate family members

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A black suit, with peak lapels, besom (jetted) pockets is not a tuxedo.

However, it certainly looks close.

Particularly when worn with a black bowtie, an evening shirt (i.e. with a pleated bib, concealed buttons, or black studs etc), and patent leather shoes.
Once again, misguided. A tuxedo is not a business suit and a business suit is not a tuxedo no matter how much you try to disguise it. If you try to pass one off as a tuxedo you will look foolish. And you are doing your customers a disservice if you advise them to do so.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Once again, misguided. A tuxedo is not a business suit and a business suit is not a tuxedo no matter how much you try to disguise it. If you try to pass one off as a tuxedo you will look foolish. And you are doing your customers a disservice if you advise them to do so.

+1

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have never owned a black suit, dark navy will do just as well and is far better as an option. I feel black pulls to much away from the outfit and leaves little to work with, I understand it should make for a blank canvas but, IMO, it does not.

I own one pair of black pants but rarely use them as other options do better. I bought one black SC/blazer as I thought it would be fun for a evening jacket but it just hangs waiting for that magical night. Both could just be the fabric that I do not care for but I suspect it's a bias in my head.

A true Black Tie evening is a true Black Tie evening, dress for it. Times are changing though and Black Tie evenings are becoming all the more rare in most parts of the western world, if you have a invite and it's a must for a Tuxedo then a Tux it should be. Falling down a rung on the social/working ladder due to a poor choice in clothing is a easy thing to avoid.

BXpress

Reaction score
Times are changing though and Black Tie evenings are becoming all the more rare in most parts of the western world, if you have a invite and it's a must for a Tuxedo then a Tux it should be.

Times may be changing, but it doesn't need to die and you don't necessarily need an invitation. I for one will probably start building my Black Tie attire in the next year and i will happily wear it to opera houses even if no one else in the audience does.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Times may be changing, but it doesn't need to die and you don't necessarily need an invitation. I for one will probably start building my Black Tie attire in the next year and i will happily wear it to opera houses even if no one else in the audience does.
Sure. You are free to wear it to the opera. You may or may not be the only one wearing it. I don't plan to attend the opera myself anyway.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Archipelagos