• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wholesale Electrical Supplies

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm re-wiring all the electrical in my house and can't believe how much retail costs for this stuff. I just paid $150 for two connectors to the service panel.

Anyone know of any good places online to buy wholesale romex and all that?

ms244

Reaction score
Try checking craigslist materials section.

Cut lengths of wire are unreturnable and you can sometimes get it for less then HouseWife Depot prices.

Otherwise, look up electrical distrubutors in your area, they usually have it for less. Also, try Grainger.com.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great idea on CL, I have already bought some romex from retired electricians, but it was only 3 spools.

I have a contractors account at a local builder's supply so I'll get quotes from them as well.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Romex? ROMEX?
crazy.gif
Conduit, my friend, conduit. Any elecrical supply house should do better than $150 for service connectors.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I recently had to have a 30amp plug put in to the server room for a new UPS. It cost abot $750 for the plug and the labour. The parts themselves were several hundred. I was surprised to say the least.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
50' of #10 THHN: $30 30A 2 pole breaker: $25 30A receptacle : $20 coverplate: $ 2 Getting juiced by your electrician: priceless.
laugh.gif

ms244

Reaction score
+1

I am in the wrong business if people are paying $750 to get an outlet put in.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yachtie
50' of #10 THHN: $30
30A 2 pole breaker: $25
30A receptacle : $20
coverplate: $ 2

Getting juiced by your electrician: priceless.
laugh.gif

LOLOLOLOL!!!1

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
50' of #10 THHN: $30 30A 2 pole breaker: $25 30A receptacle : $20 coverplate: $ 2 Getting juiced by your electrician: priceless.
laugh.gif

That's awesome

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ms244
+1

I am in the wrong business if people are paying $750 to get an outlet put in.

It was the building that billed us that. They said they had to order a special part. Anyway, I let the accountants deal with that ****. I've got enough things to do.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Romex? ROMEX?
crazy.gif
Conduit, my friend, conduit.

Any elecrical supply house should do better than $150 for service connectors.

Those connectors were bought at an electrical supply WITH a contractor's account!!! I'm doing all my own wiring so no electricians are owning me.

The connectors were for the service panel. Coming out from the weatherhead, in my county, you need to run the flexible metal conduit to the service panel to make sure there is no exposed #2 wire. Apparently, this isn't for safety even, it's because some people *cough cough* splice the wires before the meter and grow massive amounts of pot. So this makes it harder to do.

Conduit may be the way to go. I just bought a few rolls of Romex for cheap.

What is the main disadvantage to using Romex? I can get it ridiculously cheap off CL.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
Those connectors were bought at an electrical supply WITH a contractor's account!!! I'm doing all my own wiring so no electricians are owning me. The connectors were for the service panel. Coming out from the weatherhead, in my county, you need to run the flexible metal conduit to the service panel to make sure there is no exposed #2 wire. Apparently, this isn't for safety even, it's because some people *cough cough* splice the wires before the meter and grow massive amounts of pot. So this makes it harder to do. Conduit may be the way to go. I just bought a few rolls of Romex for cheap. What is the main disadvantage to using Romex? I can get it ridiculously cheap off CL.
If it's in the walls it's hard to replace. It's also prone to damage ( more than one has gone to meet his maker putting a screw or nail into romex that was buried in the wall. Also rodents love to chew on the insulation with predictable results. SOP here is rigid conduit from the weatherhead to the meter panel, then rigid to the panelboard. EMT everywhere else. Is what you're calling Flexible metal conduit this?
FMC_Flexible_Metal_Conduit_UL_1_Standard.jpg
That's not code for exterior work anywhere I know of. What amperage service are you running? New services for houses here are all pretty much 200A now so that'd be 0000 wire.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads