• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Outside of designated casual periods (e.g. casual Friday), my job requires a jacket and tie?

• Yes

Votes: 103 27.9%
  • No

Votes: 266 72.1%

• Total voters

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the boss doesn't need clothing to signal where he stands.

@Riva

This is why I find SF to be super boring nowadays. People just come here to find confirmation in their bland and boring choices of signaling equipments just to impress the middle to lower classes. The real powerful business owners never need to wear a suit at work. I'm talking about majority shareholders of top companies in Taiwan, US, and ASEAN. In fact wearing one is a sign of having to conform to some applied standard. Doesn't matter if you're a CEO or a prime minister you're still an employee of someone and having to dress up as mandated by the norm. Otoh the rich can also fall under the same silly trap of conformation.

img_1559531764562.jpg

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This is why I find SF to be super boring nowadays. People just come here to find confirmation in their bland and boring choices of signaling equipments just to impress the middle to lower classes. The real powerful business owners never need to wear a suit at work. I'm talking about majority shareholders of top companies in Taiwan, US, and ASEAN. In fact wearing one is a sign of having to conform to some applied standard. Doesn't matter if you're a CEO or a prime minister you're still an employee of someone and having to dress up as mandated by the norm. Otoh the rich can also fall under the same silly trap of conformation.

View attachment 1187860

Why do you re-frame everything as a matter of signaling?

First of all, the whole underlying point of this thread is that suits no longer signal what they used to. If you want to signal that you're a big timer these days, better off in jeans and sneakers. I think everyone is aware of that.

Second, some of us have to work for a living and need to think about the professional/practical consequences of what we wear. Personally, I'd much rather wear a suit everyday--but I have bills to pay, a family to provide for, etc. So, yeah, I'll wear a Patagonia vest to work if I have to. I'm not ashamed to admit that I do what I have to.

Third, LOL about aspiring to emulate investors in top Taiwanese companies. You do realize, the entire economy of Taiwan is less than 40% of New York City's alone? What a weird benchmark for wealth and influence. Maybe you live in your own ignorant bubble.

Last edited:

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why do you re-frame everything as a matter of signaling?

First of all, the whole underlying point of this thread is that suits no longer signal what they used to. If you want to signal that you're a big timer these days, better off in jeans and sneakers. I think everyone is aware of that.

Second, some of us have to work for a living and need to think about the professional/practical consequences of what we wear. Personally, I'd much rather wear a suit everyday--but I have bills to pay, a family to provide for, etc. So, yeah, I'll wear a Patagonia vest to work if I have to. I'm not ashamed to admit that I do what I have to..

Third, LOL about aspiring to emulate investors in top Taiwanese companies. You do realize, the entire economy of Taiwan is less than 40% of New York City's alone? What a weird benchmark for wealth and influence. Maybe you live in your own ignorant bubble.

But we're not talking about entire economies but the top dogs of the country which I'm sure since you're so quick to dismiss you don't know any. Yawn...

Signaling using jeans and sneakers doesn't work everywhere. You need to go international bro.

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Riva’s idea of high status is inheriting a stream of monopoly rents from a corrupt father in a developing country.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
But we're not talking about entire economies but the top dogs of the country which I'm sure since you're so quick to dismiss you don't know any. Yawn...

Signaling using jeans and sneakers doesn't work everywhere. You need to go international bro.

LOL

My family is from Taiwan.

Dingusberry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I work for a Private Bank where the only dress code is "always tie". You always have to wear tie, but you do not have to wear a suit. Working in a bank wearing a tie without a suit or jacket is silly, so it ends up that everyone wears a full suit or blazer. We also do not have casual friday. I am not in client facing role, and even I have to wear a tie.

Last edited:

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
lol Riva.

foo has a good point: we have to wear what we have to wear. I would love to wear jeans everyday, but I also have to hold a job, so...

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I work for a Private Bank where the only dress code is "always tie". You always have to wear tie, but you do not have to wear a suit. Working in a bank wearing a tie without a suit or jacket is silly, so it ends up that everyone wears a full suit or blazer. We also do not have casual friday.

That sucks bro. None of my PBs need to wear a tie. The presdir doesn't even wear a jacket during the last event. We really care only about how much net gain we get at the end of the year.

Dingusberry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That sucks bro. None of my PBs need to wear a tie. The presdir doesn't even wear a jacket during the last event. We really care only about how much net gain we get at the end of the year.
The boss pretty is old-fashioned. At least Casual Friday would make things a lot easier for everyone.

I think dressing, or sligthly above in formality, like the client is the best way to go. Wearing a full pin-stripe suit with Hermes tie to meet a client who wears fisherman's turtleneck sweater and rubber boots could scare him away.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@Riva

Let's put it this way. Two statements:

1. The rich in Taiwan envy the rich in America.
2. The rich in America envy the rich in Taiwan.

One is much more true than the other. Which one?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 45 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads