• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

whnay.'s good taste thread

ylkim30

Reaction score
Here's a question:

What types of odd-trousers are appropriate besides medium gray and possibly light gray? I'm assuming a khaki/tan odd-trouser is also appropriate. (also that charcoal and navy are both inappropriate).

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

That outfit is really, really bad all around.

I assume he smacked his head that morning. He looks like he fell out of Jos. A. Bank catalogue.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Here's a question:

What types of odd-trousers are appropriate besides medium gray and possibly light gray? I'm assuming a khaki/tan odd-trouser is also appropriate. (also that charcoal and navy are both inappropriate).

Yep. Wilder colors are preferable to charcoal, too. After all, odd trousers are supposed to be casual and odd.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Here's a question:

All kinds of tans, browns, olives.....

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would say that I am mostly against charcoal odd trousers. I have one pair that I thought was going to be closer to a medium grey (serves me right for buying off an online photo) that I only wear with one odd jacket. Otherwise, they only come into play when I am going sans jacket and that is a different ballgame from the traditional classic menswear / good taste thread discussion. From what I've read and seen in my time here, Foo is an advocate of optimization (making conscious choices to make outfits look better) as well as simplification (reducing number of choices one has to make, e.g. mostly blue shirts, the OneShoe, light grey flannel trousers (forget what he went with for summer)). In that framework, you generally want as many pieces of your wardrobe as possible to work together.

The reality is that a man could be elegantly dressed every single day wearing nothing but light grey or medium grey odd trousers (assuming an odd jacket and trouser wardrobe). The lack of variety might drive one crazy (though in Foo's case it probably makes him more sane), but there are plenty of colors that work on top of light or medium grey odd trousers. While it may not be optimal, you can also wear some tweeds that resolve to a grey here too. If you deviate from these light or medium grey odd trousers based on asking yourself, "How many outfits will actually look better with this trouser instead of light or medium grey?", it will be awhile before you get to charcoal. You probably at least find some tan and brown trousers first. There might be some things that work better with charcoal (though in most cases a non-charcoal dark grey is probably better than a true charcoal), but if you really need charcoal trousers to complete the look with a particular jacket, buying that jacket was probably a mistake. For most men, an odd jacket that is extremely hard to pair is not something that they should own. If you have a normal budget and a normal sized closet, you only have room for so many pieces and you don't want things that only work in a one off or very limited setting. Since charcoal trousers sort of fit into the limited use category (different argument if we are talking about people who do not need to wear a jacket IMO), why bother with them.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Here's a question:

depends if you are looking for office pants, house pants or pents.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This thread has turned me into a bigot. :(

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There seems to be a lot of overlap between people who don't like "northern lights" combos and those who don't like charcoal/dark gray odd trousers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads