• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

whnay.'s good taste thread

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saw this comic in the Sunday papers and instantly thought you guys:

10647108674_771fd5aa15_b.jpg

Ivar

Reaction score

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@aportnoy the shirt & tie combo looks awesome

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

These are the only solid ties I'm interested in right now. Would like a mogador solid or two, as well, because mogador is beautiful, but my only example of it is a difficult stripe.

I've got a few Mogador ties arriving today or tomorrow actually, not sure if there are any solids though (don't think so). But it is a beautiful fabric and very rare to find.

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got a few Mogador ties arriving today or tomorrow actually, not sure if there are any solids though (don't think so). But it is a beautiful fabric and very rare to find.

I bought the only one I've ever seen in the flesh -- NWT in a Salvation Army in an area some of my friends found questionable. It's a wonderful object, and I happen to think that, cotton content be damned, I'll be wearing it this winter.

clapeyron

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
This is a white oxford shirt the other fabric's textures are worsted, twill, linen and lastly wool for the tie. Do you think a pale blue shirt could have complimented this outfit?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
top half seems very formal compared to bottom, but visually, i quite liek it.

CrimsonSox

Reaction score
I'm kind of down on solid ties at the moment for whatever reason. I'm sure it will pass. But the only ones I've worn recently are my knits and the more variegated cashmeres and wools, which I'm not sure really count as solid anyway. I haven't worn a grenadine in quite a while.

Solid ties can be quite stunning:

The above outfit works because the grey of the tie is a warm grey with a slightly brown tone that matches the color of the suit. Here's the same effect with the tones matching, but in a cooler bluish grey (the tie might be a near-solid or have a very small pattern). Sorry for the cross post from the Scholte thread.

There's something innately elegant about combining a solid tie with a similar tone in the suit and a white or near white shirt. It's a daytime version of the design idea behind the tuxedo (coordinating jacket and solid tie, white shirt). It's not the only combination I would wear (my favorite tie of all is a non-solid, a navy blue shepherd's check), but it's beautiful.

Last edited:

clapeyron

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
@doc, square is linen, tie is wool. I get what you mean with warm and cold colour discrepancy, however I feel like I'm essentially stuck with a solid white shirt with this tie. I don't see any hue of blue shirt working with this tie.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I like looks that incorporate near even amounts of cold and warm colors. This drives my wife crazy, and I suspect I may be in the minority here. I rather like the effect created by Clap's outfit.

In general, are there any decent rules of thumb about mixing fairly even amounts of both?

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads