• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

whnay.'s good taste thread

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
"InStitches goede smaak draad"

"InStitches graag naar smaak mannen"

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i zeker niet

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oke, laten we terug naar saaie kleren!

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ja, alsjeblieft. ik hou niet van waar dit heen gaat.

lets discuss how my white OCBD looked ok, and i did not need blue.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That white OCBD would have been great, had it been blue.

CaymanS

Reaction score

This may have looked better with a blue shirt, but I was in court this morning. So, white it is.

The tab-under Rumsfeld collar is impossible to pull off. It's truly a collar that needs to be buried. It creates a problem that didn't exist (the problem of not having your tie knot pinned up in the air like a #menswear advertisement) and then fixes the non-problem in the most un-aesthetically pleasing way possible. Like the 80s padded shoulder this collar needs to be added to the dust bin and then never retrieved.

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There is a guy in my office who wears the Rumsfeld collar exclusively. To make matters worse he ties a full windsor knot and it looks just awful. It actually looks uncomfortable as well. It looks like he is being choked by a huge knot the size of an apple.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

a dank. very nice. do you do RTW much anymore besides sweaters?

More and more. I'm getting a bit tired of mtm/bespoke. I know that may sound strange (or blasé)
on this forum and considering how much I've enjoyed choosing fabrics, buttons, details etcetera
in the past. And I'm happy with the MTM suits and bespoke shirts that I currently have (I don't have
bespoke suits or jackets). But I think I can get a decent fit OTR, and decent is good enough for me.
Getting the right fit on clothes is a PITA; I don't enjoy that process of tweaking and tweaking to get a
perfect (or really good) fit at all.

But ask me again in a couple of years. :)

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

More and more. I'm getting a bit tired of mtm/bespoke. I know that may sound strange (or blasé)
on this forum and considering how much I've enjoyed choosing fabrics, buttons, details etcetera
in the past. And I'm happy with the MTM suits and bespoke shirts that I currently have (I don't have
bespoke suits or jackets). But I think I can get a decent fit OTR, and decent is good enough for me.
Getting the right fit on clothes is a PITA; I don't enjoy that process of tweaking and tweaking to get a

that is fascinating. often times i begin to wonder if all the effort towards "perfection" (if that is even possible) is worth it, and maybe i should be satisfied with good enough. i always end up saying yes.

but ask me again in a couple of years. :)

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The tab-under Rumsfeld collar is impossible to pull off. It's truly a collar that needs to be buried. It creates a problem that didn't exist (the problem of not having your tie knot pinned up in the air like a #menswear advertisement) and then fixes the non-problem in the most un-aesthetically pleasing way possible. Like the 80s padded shoulder this collar needs to be added to the dust bin and then never retrieved.

Det som engang var. Hvis lyset tar oss. Aske, Filosofem Hliðskjálf.

Last edited:

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am totally okay with boring patterns and fabrics. It would be a waste to buy a bespoke sack suit anyway. :slayer:

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But ask me again in a couple of years.
smile.gif
MTM is such a pain to get right that I'm not sure it has any advantages over RTW in terms of fit, unless you have a weird physique. You'll probably end up with a lot of ill fitting suits in the process (which of course you have to pay), while with RTW you can just try things on and put them back on the rack if you don't like how they look. As long as shoulders don't look messy (even if they are a bit too wide, which seems frowned upon here), there aren't tons of extra fabric and balance isn't off, it's OK IMO. Those things usually go really, really bad on first MTM efforts. Of course you could find a MTM maker with a cut that works on you from the start, then you have the advantage of choosing styling, fabric, etc. Bespoke is a different animal, as there's more fittings involved and it has less chances to go wrong (though it's still very possible).

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads