• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

whnay.'s good taste thread

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is this a good way to wear a red shirt?

I know this isn't a fit thread but the shirt and jacket both look very nicely cut.

And I think that gives you quite a bit of leeway with colors.

That said, I don't love the purpley blue tie with the shirt but I also think a navy tie would have been too facile so props on avoiding that.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
A solid red shirt would be terrible but that red pencil stripe is nice.

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
0e21a706.jpg

1: a very nice tie that I would happily buy. A very nice shirt with a well-fitting collar. Shirt & tie together are unimpeachable. They would go with a whole range of very nice suits. But then he takes this super-suity combo and wears it with an odd jacket. It’s just … off. And the jacket itself, I will explain elsewhere why patterned linen sucks, but it does.

Manton, can you elaborate on what makes a tie, particularly a neat, appropriate for a suit and what makes one appropriate for an odd jacket. I've been thinking about this--and read Practical Thoughts on Coherent Combinations (to the extent that it survives) several times--but I'm struggling a bit. I can see why the tie in Spoo's example is more appropriate for a suit, I think: city/formal material, small pattern, fairly soporific. I can't tell in other instances. Thanks!

Last edited:

kulata

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I know this isn't a fit thread but the shirt and jacket both look very nicely cut.

And I think that gives you quite a bit of leeway with colors.

That said, I don't love the purpley blue tie with the shirt but I also think a navy tie would have been too facile so props on avoiding that.

What tie color outside the blue spectrum will you recommend?

A solid red shirt would be terrible but that red pencil stripe is nice.

Thanks for the feedback. Will post more fits when I have questions/doubts

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Stitches can't stay with any one avatar for too long so Imma let it blow over.

this one will have some staying power. at least until someone makes something cooler for me to use.

I was asking myself some hard questions though when Vox mistook a Stitchy post for one of mine...

which post?

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What tie color outside the blue spectrum will you recommend?

I think blue (lighter than navy) is a good option but when it's more on the grey side of the spectrum.

Blacks works as well.

Beyond that, I really don't know. Sure there are some other options but nothing springs to mind.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
kulta's shirt, the stripes seem a little darker, more brickish. I prefer that to the bright red.

kulata

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think blue (lighter than navy) is a good option but when it's more on the grey side of the spectrum.

Blacks works as well.

Beyond that, I really don't know. Sure there are some other options but nothing springs to mind.

I'll try the black just to see if it works with my skin tone especially with a red shirt (I normally wear black ties with light blue). Very interesting suggestion. Thanks

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
are we now looking to create moar ruelz?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads