• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

whnay.'s good taste thread

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Foo or Manton, if can you please chime in..Thanks

@Foo or @Manton...using Stitches (sorry Stitch) gray houndstooth SC being too 60's and limited usefulness, is it because of the pattern, color, or both? I have something similar in Olive/tan/blue/dark blue color; been matching with Bengal and End-on-End shirts to simplify. Any additional shirt pattern (and tie) pairing suggestion? definitely no white shirt for me on this one
[ATTACHMENT=5352]509.jpg (3,490k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

also, for a charcoal Herringbone SC [ATTACHMENT=5353]512.jpg (3,474k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]
, again very limited pairing with blue shirts (stripes and solid) and sometimes white OCBD at night. Also looking for pairing suggestions other than blue..

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
C., I still think the solid blue is a better idea. You are already wearing some busy patterns. Eyes need a rest. Shirts are inherently background players, so it's usually sensible to embrace them as such.

You know, I think I will keep the picture of today's outfit handy so that I can post a side by side with the striped shirt I have in mind. I generally tend to agree with you on the solid shirt motif and as a result I do not have many patterned shirts, but I am curious as to how I'd incorporate what I do have. Anyway, I guess we will find out when I try it.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score

C., I still think the solid blue is a better idea. You are already wearing some busy patterns. Eyes need a rest. Shirts are inherently background players, so it's usually sensible to embrace them as such.

Only in the upper class Italian style of dress which you (and to a lesser extent I) prefer. In certain other traditions, including certain circles in England, the shirt is the centerpiece. I used to dress more that way myself, not so much anymore, though today I have on a rather busy red check shirt.

The idea was that a true "gentleman" only wore his school/club/regimental ties, or else solids, and also only wore blue and gray city suits, so the only leeway he had for fun was shirts. This is why Jermyn street is so much more "vibrant" than what you see in shirtmakers in Italy, where the question is basically, "Which shade of light blue would you like, signor?"

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

If I had one I'd have chosen a lighter and less saturated blue tie, guess that would have helped. Would this be OK with a cream silk square, or is it too formal for such a dressed down blazer outfit?

A cream square would have been better. It is not defined as a formal square and can be worn in pretty much any application.

This shirt is still a big fail. It really does not work right with tweed. Also, since when did these tweed-like ties become all the rage? They are maddening and rarely look right. It should be worn with a suit, not more tweed. Your outfit is all one rough texture, and then all smooth. Also there is not enough variation in brightness. Everything is about the same.

Such jacketing- and suiting-based ties are a good example of an internet fad. The navy knit tie of 2012-2013. If you don't know what I mean about the navy knit tie, just set the time circuits in your Delorean back to 2008.

Final score: :foo:

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Only in the upper class Italian style of dress which you (and to a lesser extent I) prefer. In certain other traditions, including certain circles in England, the shirt is the centerpiece. I used to dress more that way myself, not so much anymore, though today I have on a rather busy red check shirt.

The idea was that a true "gentleman" only wore his school/club/regimental ties, or else solids, and also only wore blue and gray city suits, so the only leeway he had for fun was shirts. This is why Jermyn street is so much more "vibrant" than what you see in shirtmakers in Italy, where the question is basically, "Which shade of light blue would you like, signor?"

All true, but exactly for that reason, if you aren't wearing the very sober and plain English city suit, with a very plain regimental or solid tie, your shirt needs to quiet down. The rationale of balance is the same whether you're talking "English" or "Italian."

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I like that tie, would wear.

Shirt color is too "vibrant"

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would too--but with a navy or grey suit, not tweed.

I have tried wearing tweedy ties with worsted suits but haven't met with much success. I find it easier to wear them with tweedy jackets. And they work ok with flannel suits. I don't have informal suits, so I haven't tried that option.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

though today I have on a rather busy red check shirt.

the one from the OP? also, interesting history about the shirting in britain v italy.

This shirt is still a big fail. It really does not work right with tweed. Also, since when did these tweed-like ties become all the rage? They are maddening and rarely look right. It should be worn with a suit, not more tweed. Your outfit is all one rough texture, and then all smooth. Also there is not enough variation in brightness. Everything is about the same.
Such jacketing- and suiting-based ties are a good example of an internet fad. The navy knit tie of 2012-2013. If you don't know what I mean about the navy knit tie, just set the time circuits in your Delorean back to 2008.
Final score: :foo:

interesting, thanks. i thought the oxford weave shirt would be "textured" enough for the rough SC and tie.

I like that tie, would wear.
Shirt color is too "vibrant"

thanks, i recall you liking it last time i wore it.

Stitchy, do you have a pic from farther away?

yup. i know foo will hate the trou.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I have tried wearing tweedy ties with worsted suits but haven't met with much success. I find it easier to wear them with tweedy jackets. And they work ok with flannel suits. I don't have informal suits, so I haven't tried that option.

They don't work with worsted suits as a rule--they are just more likely to look okay with a suit than tweedy jacket. But of course, it also highly depends on the specific tie. That's why I don't like them as a category. They really should not be so prevalent and the popularity is conspicuous because they look terrible 90% of the time. I blame Pitti Uomo. They were just the next thing to sell.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

They don't work with worsted suits as a rule--they are just more likely to look okay with a suit than tweedy jacket. But of course, it also highly depends on the specific tie. That's why I don't like them as a category. They really should not be so prevalent and the popularity is conspicuous because they look terrible 90% of the time. I blame Pitti Uomo. They were just the next thing to sell.

this is actually a dead-stock zegna cashmere tie. ill bet it is at least 5-7 years old, maybe older. not sure if that predates the popularity you refer too.

Last edited:

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

All true, but exactly for that reason, if you aren't wearing the very sober and plain English city suit, with a very plain regimental or solid tie, your shirt needs to quiet down. The rationale of balance is the same whether you're talking "English" or "Italian."

I am wearing a very "Jermyn Street" shirt today - a fancy stripe with light and dark blue of varying widths and spacings. Suit is a flannel navy chalkstripe DB and tie is solid blue (black shoes). Square is a softly woven bluish gray check on a silvery white silk ground. Other than the shirt, pretty sober stuff.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member