• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

White Pants

iris

Reaction score
Now that memorial day is behind us, I figured wearing white pants is acceptable until labour day. Frankly, I don't know the reason why this generally accepted custom exists; I've worn (or at least, wanted to wear) white as early as April but, at any rate, I digress.

I am wondering what brands offer white pants of relatively decent quality and good value. I live in the Philadelphia metro area and I'm close to off fifth, NMLC, nordy rack, etc. (just about everything but a filene's and C21) Any suggestions?

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
good god

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I wear mine only between July 2 and August 12.

melonadejello

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seriously, I want the Opening Ceremony x Levi's white cords, but there's no way I'm paying that much for Levi's fabric and hardware, even at the 33% off they're at now.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Have you considered white denim instead of a true pant? I know there are several brands making decent white jeans these days. Try JCrew for a reasonably priced option.

I don't know the history behind the rule but I bet a google search would find you the answer.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
It's a dumb rule. And I don't think people pay any attention to it. I wear white pants (jeans and otherwise) any time of the year.

ctrlaltelite

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
choosing a great pair of white pants starts with knowing the amount of cadmium versus nickel in the zipper...

Exit English

Reaction score
That rule is so lame, and only douchebags follow it like its a religion. I love how you say you wanted to wear your white pants but chose not to because of some age old saying that everyone throws around, usually as a joke.

Ive never met any guy who would actually say something that stupid without me wanting to smack them in the face.

Here is a rule for you.. "Learn the rules, then ******* break them"

According to this article I just read, it originally referred to shoes.

----------------------
Dear Yahoo!:
Why aren't you supposed to wear white after Labor Day?
Fletch
San Francisco, California
Dear Fletch:
As with many customs and etiquette dictums, it's difficult to pin down the reason behind the prohibition against white after Labor Day. We searched on variations of "wear white after Labor Day" and sifted through the Etiquette and Fashion categories in the Yahoo! Directory. We managed to turn up a bit of information on the fashion dictate.

Originally, the rule was more along the lines of "Only wear white shoes between Memorial Day and Labor Day." Furthermore, it mainly applied to white pumps or dress shoes. White tennis shoes and off-white boots seem exempt, as are any shoes worn by a winter bride. "Winter white" clothing (e.g., cream-colored wool) is acceptable between Labor Day and Memorial Day too.

The only logical reasoning we could find cited temperature. Image consultant Nancy Penn suggests that because white reflects light and heat, wearing white would make you cooler in winter, and thus should be avoided. But others suggest the rule stems from a class issue. Acting Director of the Museum at the Fashion Institute of Technology Valerie Steele notes that in the late 19th century and the 1950s, more people were entering the middle classes. These nouveau-riche folks were often unaware of the standards of high society, so they were given specific codified rules to follow in order to fit in.

Several sites quoted a charming refrain about G.R.I.T.S. -- girls raised in the South. This bit of folklore states, "Southern girls know bad manners when they see them," and a clear sign of bad manners is wearing white shoes before Easter or after Labor Day. Because fashions in the American South can be a little more formal than elsewhere, perhaps the no-white-shoes rule came from south of the Mason-Dixon Line? Even Star Jones (an otherwise fashion-forward Southern lady) admits that white shoes "are for Easter Sunday and not the dead of winter."

We can only surmise that the point of this rule is to ensure that people only wear summer fashions during the actual summer months. The opposite probably applies as well, but people generally don't need to be reminded to avoid wearing a goose-down parka in 100-degree weather. If you live in a locale with summer temperatures year-round, we can't see the harm in wearing white shoes or a head-to-toe white outfit in October. And we promise not to tell Miss Manners.
----------------------

iris

Reaction score
hmm, maybe I should've specified jeans instead of pants

I'll go give Jcrew a look. Can anyone tell me the quality of polo ralph lauren's white jeans?

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ctrlaltelite
choosing a great pair of white pants starts with knowing the amount of cadmium versus nickel in the zipper...

Cadium should be at least a third of the alloy. You'll pay more though.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I wore white pants to dinner at a friend's house (a Southern girl) the day before Memorial Day, and she didn't mind one lil ol' bit.

iris

Reaction score
You can wear white pants any time of year. They look great on a bright sunny January day with a thick navy shawl cardigan, for example.
Duly noted, thanks for the tip.

Iris? That's a woman's name.
Your point? Everyone has them, granted they have functional, healthy eyes. And there doesn't have to be a correlation b/t your real name and an internet screen name.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads