• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which watch?

ctbrew

Reaction score
I'm trying to find a new watch for casual everyday wear and need help deciding between these two. I'm looking for a somewhat military looking watch under $200. My requirements are prominent minute and hour hands, not too cluttered of a background, and hands and markers must be luminescent. I prefer a steel band. Here are my two main contenders but I'm willing to look at others:

Seiko Snn229P1:
SNN229P1_MED.jpg

Seiko SND449P1:
SND449P1_MED.jpg

Right now I'm leaning towards the first one. Both have a case diameter of 43MM and I have average size forearms, I'm afraid they might be too big. I think the second watch would look a little smaller because its face is a bit smaller, also it's thinner and lighter. But I like the look of the first one.
Your opinions would be appreciated.

thunderthighs

Reaction score
If you're looking for simplicity and legibility then I would go for an aviator-style dial all the way. Both of the watches you listed are quartz, but if you don't mind automatics then check out the SRP043K1 and the SRP025K1:

KNPxS.jpg

XjUGV.jpg

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The first one you posted all the way. I don't like the second one. It almost looks like a knock-off.

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are deciding between the first and the second, go with the first. If you are open to suggestions, I'll second thunderthighs suggestion, and add the classic Black Monster (staying in the Seiko family):
SKX779-b.jpg

ctbrew

Reaction score
Thanks for your suggestions gentlemen. Thunderthighs I was really looking hard at this watch, it's definitely the style I want, but do you need to constantly adjust automatics? I don't mind sticking a battery in every once in a while. And I like my first choice better than this one, I really like the gunmetal band. Acridsheep I don't like rotating bezels or bezels of any kind, I don't need them and they add bulk I think, which took out all the dive watches for me. I had a Wenger that had the bezel and I kept thinking what's the point of this thing? As for the one with the military numbers, I WOULD buy that watch if it didn't have the military numbers, but they throw me off for some reason. Otherwise it really is perfect. I was looking at this one in that line but it is 19MM thick!
SNZG17K1_MED.jpg

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gwolf
going with the same flieger theme..
Good suggestion.

How about a Hamilton?

L11075384.jpg

They have quartz versions as well and some have steel bracelets. Might be a little bit more than $200 though.

thunderthighs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ctbrew
Thanks for your suggestions gentlemen. Thunderthighs I was really looking hard at this watch, it's definitely the style I want, but do you need to constantly adjust automatics? I don't mind sticking a battery in every once in a while. And I like my first choice better than this one, I really like the gunmetal band.
One of the charms (pitfalls) of automatics is that they are not as accurate and do need occasional adjustment. However, I just adjust mine whenever I need to adjust the calendar or DST anyway, and the rest of the time it's close enough that if I need atomic accuracy I just check my cell phone. I dunno, the attraction for me is this little device that depends on me to work, and like me, has a little beating heart inside it (balance wheel) and, like me, isn't perfect. Almost like having a little pet on your wrist. If none of this makes any sense to you and leaves you wondering why anyone would bother, then definitely stick to quartz, in which case I recommend a solar-atomic. Set your timezone and forget it, and you don't even need to change batteries as long as it sees light every so often. I like the high-end Casio's such as the OCEANUS series. The OCW-T100TD-1AJF for example is solar powered and receives signals from all available (as of today) atomic clock stations in the world (Multiband 6):
Z3S6n.jpg
Nicely reviewed here. Made in Japan, if that matters to you. EDIT: Well shoot, I just blew your budget by $300. Sorry.

Pieceofsand

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_6715.jpg

ktrp

Reaction score
I bought a seiko 5 automatic last fall, its currently running within 1 second/day. Which is pretty ridiculous for a $120 automatic, but there it is.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SirGrotius
The first one you posted all the way. I don't like the second one. It almost looks like a knock-off.

what he said^^

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads