• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which of these shirts would go best with a dark navy suit?

addikt

Reaction score
Okay, well for this one I've included pictures. I have a meeting tomorrow and would like to dress up for it, however I am somewhat puzzled with respect to which shirt I should wear with my dark navy suit. I usually wear simply a navy suit with a white shirt, but have somehow misplaced my white shirt and have to scramble for a look that doesn't look like I suffer from color blindness.

Personally, I like the blue on blue. I had to do some reading to see if you could even match a charcoal shirt with a navy suit, and apparently you can, however to me I cannot really pull off the look as I lack a tie with any complimentary colours. I could move to a tie in a more vibrant red, however it will still have strong gold and navy accents in it as all my ties are similarly patterned.

Finally, the tan shirt is just something that I found in my closet, I don't even think it fits properly as in one of the pictures you can see that under the top button there is eccess fabric, this however is concealed by the tie.

Anyways, I'm just looking for some advice from those on the forum who, after some reading, I see far out-rank me in the matters of personal wardrobe style.

Also, yes I realized a little too late that I should have cleaned my mirror before taking the pictures, and yes image quality is poor given they were taken on a phone camera.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The last two for business, however the collar on both is horrible.
Also, your tie is way too long.
Stop by Marshalls and get a moderate spread collar white shirt for 10 bucks.
It will look much more respectable and business like.

addikt

Reaction score
The last two pictures are both of the same tan shirt, I just ditched the tie. I have never liked the collar on that particular shirt to begin with, but what do you mean by moderate spread? Something more like the collar on the charcoal shirt?

Also, out of curiosity, how well do the blue and charcoal shirts work in general, without any bias regarding professionalism? Do these colours work together at all?

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yes, that is what I mean.
Looks like you need some of the basics, like a white, moderate spread collar shirt.
You could do almost any color, but please do not wear one that is too dark.
I would not do tone on tone either.
For business, white shirts are always correct.

addikt

Reaction score
Normally, it would be a no-brainer as I usually wear a white shirt however, in this particular case I have to make due with what I have at my disposal. I tore my room apart and I cannot seem to figure out where my white shirt has gone.

I appreciate the help, and will probably just go with the tan shirt, or best case try and get a new white shirt if time permits.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can not go and buy a new shirt?
If not, what size are you, myself or someone else will sendyou one.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I suppose it depends on what type of meeting it is. However, I think you could probably get away with the blue on blue and did you say that you have another tie that is a more vibrant red, with gold and navy accents?

If you're going to go monochromatic with the suit and shirt, you need the tie to pop.

Sublime_Law

Reaction score
I would ditch those shirts and that tie and go buy some white and light blue shirts and a few decent ties

addikt

Reaction score
This may sound somewhat blasphemous on these forums but, I don't exactly know my size. As a student the need for me to wear a suit has never really been prevalent. Again I'm not really sure what size shirt I wear, the tan shirt is a 15 but when I put it on it feels too large; I am used to wearing shirts that are tighter as I ditched the 'baggy' clothing a long time ago.

Yes I do have a more vibrant red tie, the only reason I was looking at monochromatic was to try something different, and the fact that I saw someone with similar skin tones pull off a decent look, with a black on black suit and navy tie to finish off the look. Not a formal look by any means, but it did look good. From what I've read it's deemed a 'younger' look.

The meeting that I'm going to is formal enough to have me dress up, but not so much that I need to wear strict business attire.

I agree that I do definitely need a new white shirt to replace the old one, however I was thinking of going out this summer and looking for a completely new (hopefully much nicers) suit with matching shirts and ties.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads