• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which is your #1 tie (or ties) that people always compliment?

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lurch
yep thats the one...but why don't you buy one first and then see if you like it first...?? The style doesn't suit everyone I can imagine as it's not particularly padded, you won't get a large knot and it's a little thinner (7cm) Although on the other hand if you buy it, don't like it then I can always harrass you to take it off your hands for a little discount...
laugh.gif

+1 on both counts. Raw silk / shantung ties are not for the beginner. They are not what you will expect them to be. Not only is the silk slubbier and "rougher" than you're used to, but these particular models from Drake's are also unlined and untipped. They are also fairly thin. Basically, these are the sorts of ties you want if you've already got a big collection of staples. I wouldn't get these if they're going to be your only ties, or if they're among very few other ties in a rotation. These ties are the sizzle of a collection and not the steak, so to speak. That said, if you buy them and end up regretting the purchase, I'll gladly take them off your hands.
smile.gif

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks AB. I do not need a comprehensive foundation of daily ties for office life. ( I have a some dots, solids & BB repps, etc)

Now, I want just the opposite: the outlier sizzle tie for social settings.
a few noteworthy/unique/textured ties for parties/dates/events
1 Polo knit, 2 Drakes, 2 Hober grenadines will do it.

2 Drakes + 2 Hobers = $400. WTF. Prob. exceed my entire clothing allowance from age 20-30.
It's nice to have found something to spend my money on, I suppose.

Just curious, if I wore 'em once, and recanted, what would you offer? ($150 new)

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving
Just curious, if I wore 'em once, and recanted, what would you offer? ($150 new)

Depends on the condition they'd be in when put up for sale (would need pics). But I'm not going to offer you close to retail for something that's been worn. At that point I might as well just buy them new off the site.

What I'm telling you, essentially, is not to blindly buy these ties thinking your bets are covered by me. Buy them if you really want and think you need them. If you buy them and end up regretting it, let me know. But do not expect to recoup all your costs. I'm in the business of receiving bailouts, not awarding them.
smile.gif

Lurch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving
I like that it's a bit narrow (2.8 in)
I like it's casual.
I don't care about knot size.

This Drake's was a great find, as it's so different than 99% of ties.
And as we know, fashion is about distinguishing yourself from the herd.

Why both? The shipping is $23.
Might as well do both at once.

With the red, you said "white shirt, grey slacks"
How would you wear the navy?

I've also got some plain navy and navy pinstripe trousers which are not part of a suit, again either white shirt or light blue shirt...at the end of the day...for me these are standout ties and want them to be the feature and not my trousers or shirt...as i said though...haven't justified it to myself yet.
facepalm.gif

Lurch

Reaction score
I never tend to wear ties with jeans, if i'm wearing jeans, even with a blazer i'll always go open collar. I just think that look is always a little preppy...but personal choice etc.

For me I like it for what I call the semi formals, so the occasions where shirt shoes and trousers are essential and the tie is optional....so wedding parties or 'dress down' days at work etc...

i think it's a tie that has a great way of taking that slight edge off of formality but not making it nosedive into scruffy.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got both the ties. Love them. Width is great. A hair under 3". I think they can serve as more "formal" than you give credit for. They do not look "rough" unless you really get close. Any other tie from 5 feet. I would wear these to ANY formal "suit" event, short of black tie. Thanks for the reccomendation, can't wait to try these out, and get some comments.
BQBW.06361.004M.jpg
BQBW.06362.007_A1.jpg

PTWilliams

Reaction score
This tie, with a 1940's look.

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any of my Duchamp ties however the one I'm wearing the image below got lots at a local fundraiser from a lot of ladies attending.
4526197046_0b3c8a5e04.jpg

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member