• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which are the best Italian brands for tailored clothing?

Bankers_Stripes

Reaction score
Which are the best Italian clothing brands for suits, blazers/sports jackets, shirting, and trousers?
Best is very subjective. Best quality? Best reputation? Best value?

If you are going for “best” in the truest sense of the word, meaning best quality with no expenses spared, then I would say Kiton, Attolini, and Brioni are still the holy trinity of Italian suit makers.

D’Avenza I would also rank with them.

One tiny notch below the above makers - but still absolutely very nice - I would rank Zegna Couture, Battistoni, Sartoria Castangia, Sartoria Partenopea, Luigi Borrelli, and Isaia. All are extremely nice.

But you cannot go wrong with Kiton, Brioni, or Attolini. I own suits and shirts from all the above makers I listed and those 3 are simply on another level. D’avenza I’ve found is also just as good and made suits for Bijan (they may still, not sure). I own a navy Bijan suit made by D’Avenza. It’s ludicrously nice.

Now if you’re looking for best value for your money, well that’s a different story. Kiton suits can cost upwards of $12,000 and Brioni usually starts at $6,000. If you’re looking for “value” then Canali or Caruso might be a better fit. But if you are looking for the best of the best, then my previous paragraphs should help.

Last edited:

pasadena man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
In terms of price/value, style, and quality within their segments I favor Canali and Incotex.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Belvest? I own several and they are very well-made.
I understand that Belvest is a maker that offers different
quality ranges to various retailers, so quality may vary.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The ones that make the clothes that fit your body best at your price points.

Clothing is made to be worn on a human body, not displayed on a standard mannequin.

TomTom

Reaction score
My problem with Italian makers is that they appear they make their clothes for short men. I'm 6 foot and nothing from the rack suits me as i look like I'm wearing children's clothes. I tired Antolini, Isia, Brunello ...all too short.

Bankers_Stripes

Reaction score
My problem with Italian makers is that they appear they make their clothes for short men. I'm 6 foot and nothing from the rack suits me as i look like I'm wearing children's clothes. I tired Antolini, Isia, Brunello ...all too short.
That’s interesting - I have suits from many Italian makers including Brioni, Kiton, Isaia, and Attolini. I’m 6 foot 1 inch and 38R from all the above makers fits me perfectly off the rack.

Last edited:

TomTom

Reaction score
That’s interesting - I have suits from Brioni, Kiton, Isaia, and Attolini. I’m 6 foot 1 inch and 38R from all the above makers fits me perfectly off the rack.
For instance Attolini REG52 suit which is the 42 in the UK has the jacket length 0f 77cm. That is way to short for me as I normally wear at least 80-83cm long jackets . You would think 3 cm is not that much but I can tell you that on my long body it looks comical. The last time I was trying one in person my wife was in stiches from laughing so much. Also the sleeves are short etc.

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not all the Italians are the same. I find the items from Brioni and D'Avenza tends to be longer than Attolini, Isaia or Belvest. They each seem to have their own preferences.

leapyourbar

Reaction score
^^ And if you're going to spend THAT much, you may as well spend a bit extra for made-to-measure or bespoke. I would never pay full price for most of these brands RTW.

acconrad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Best is very subjective. Best quality? Best reputation? Best value?

If you are going for “best” in the truest sense of the word, meaning best quality with no expenses spared, then I would say Kiton, Attolini, and Brioni are still the holy trinity of Italian suit makers.

D’Avenza I would also rank with them.

One tiny notch below the above makers - but still absolutely very nice - I would rank Zegna Couture, Battistoni, Sartoria Castangia, Sartoria Partenopea, Luigi Borrelli, and Isaia. All are extremely nice.

But you cannot go wrong with Kiton, Brioni, or Attolini. I own suits and shirts from all the above makers I listed and those 3 are simply on another level. D’avenza I’ve found is also just as good and made suits for Bijan (they may still, not sure). I own a navy Bijan suit made by D’Avenza. It’s ludicrously nice.

Now if you’re looking for best value for your money, well that’s a different story. Kiton suits can cost upwards of $12,000 and Brioni usually starts at $6,000. If you’re looking for “value” then Canali or Caruso might be a better fit. But if you are looking for the best of the best, then my previous paragraphs should help.
+1 - this is the correct answer. anything i could have said was said here

Bankers_Stripes

Reaction score
Attolini Suits, Jackets and shirts
Ambrosi for trousers
Every tailor I've ever talked to when asked the question about the best Italian suit makers always invariably answers me with one of 3 responses - Cesare Attolini, Brioni, or Kiton. Or they tell me all 3.

So, it quite often comes down to personal preference. Curious why you chose Attolini over say, Kiton or Brioni? There's a valid argument to be made that all 3 brands have a slight edge over the other in some regard (Attolini might have more handwork than Kiton, Kiton has better fabrics etc.) So just curious on why you say Attolini is the best.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member