• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which Airports Are a Destination in Themselves?

Trilby

Reaction score
Tegel is great - very small and close to the city centre. Sheremetyevo is horrible, but Domodedovo is actually not bad.

I wouldn't call either place a destination in its own right, though.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PARTY
BWI. It keeps getting better and better.

What do you like about BWI, PARTY? As a part-time employee I could get some brownie points by passing this on to the airport customer service staff
lol8[1].gif

JB

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JetBlast
I have a bias for Dulles International Airport in Washington, probably because I fly from there 10x more than anywhere else. Just the main terminal itself is a work of art, and no doubt my favorite piece of Saarinen architecture. The mass of the building really has a presence as you drive in. It's too bad I'll be done work there in a week
frown.gif

DSC_0467.jpg

IADTerm-Onramp.jpg

As far other airports I've visited just to go and see the airport itself:
Suvarnabhumi International in Bangkok-
_DSC1462.jpg

Princess Juliana International in St Maarten-
Juliana_2.jpg

Kansai International in Osaka-
P71114683e.jpg

Haneda National in Tokyo-
tokyo_airport_haneda_new.jpg

Chek Lap Kok International in Hong Kong-
54511.jpg

Dubai International in Dubai-
Dubai-Airport-2.jpg

King Khaled International in Riyadh-
riyadh.jpg

JB

Jet those are some nice photos

dpw

Reaction score
Riyadh Airport , Royal Terminal in Saudi Arabia is worth a mention. Airport in Kiev, Ukraine is absolutley in need of makeover. Charles de Gaulle in Paris is worst "important city" airport in the world.

PARTY

Reaction score
What do you like about BWI, PARTY? As a part-time employee I could get some brownie points by passing this on to the airport customer service staff
lol8[1].gif

JB

I actually think it's gorgeous inside. Also, and I don't know if this is because its my airport of choice or not, but it's simple to get around. I've never had a problem navigating the hallways. Which does kind of strike me as amazing, considering how big it is. Also, at some airports I've literally had to complain about employees (esp. the airport in Boston. That one sucked, whatever it is.) But at BWI, everyone is straight and helpful.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PARTY
I actually think it's gorgeous inside. Also, and I don't know if this is because its my airport of choice or not, but it's simple to get around. I've never had a problem navigating the hallways. Which does kind of strike me as amazing, considering how big it is.

Also, at some airports I've literally had to complain about employees (esp. the airport in Boston. That one sucked, whatever it is.) But at BWI, everyone is straight and helpful.

I am a big fan of the International Terminal especially, if I happen to be working the information desk there I like to draw the geometric shapes in the ceiling when I'm bored
lol8[1].gif

intlterminal8.jpg

intlterminal6.jpg

JB

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not as great architecture wise as some other airports, but I used to spend a lot of time hanging out and exploring the Frankfurt airport as well as the Rhein Mein air field across the runway when I was a kid. You probably couldn't do much of either now.

My friends and I would try to buy cheap liquor at the stores a lot.
laugh.gif

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You could probably get around FRA fine, Rhein-Main is closed and no longer operational.

JB

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You could probably get around FRA fine, Rhein-Main is closed and no longer operational.
Are the Rhein Mein facilities no longer in use then? I was under the impression that the Frankfurt airport took control of them. That would a shame if so, they had some great buildings (as far as stark 1950 era military buildings go).

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
Are the Rhein Mein facilities no longer in use then? I was under the impression that the Frankfurt airport took control of them. That would a shame if so, they had some great buildings (as far as stark 1950 era military buildings go).

I'm not sure if the buildings themselves are all still there. The US Air Force gave control of the tarmac, etc to Frankfurt Airport. Last I heard, Lufthansa was going to build maintenance hangars there.

JB

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I'm always pretty happy to go through HK's airport, free wifi is such a wonderful thing.

I actually kind of miss the old HK airport too, especially the rubberized rounded check-in counters and that huge ramp for arriving passengers to come out of. Made everyone look like they were coming down a runway while the peons beneath them looked up in awe and fascination.

LHR has great shopping and if you're ever lucky enough to go into their executive lounges, they're wonderful places to be. Last time I went, there was an old couple with a middle aged son having a domestic in there and berating the son. In the end, the son just started throwing back whiskeys and telling them to shut up. O how we laughed.

Tokyo's airports are surprisingly lame. I find most airports in China extremely useless and even frustrating. WHERE IS MY WIFI.

PARTY

Reaction score
I'm not sure if the buildings themselves are all still there. The US Air Force gave control of the tarmac, etc to Frankfurt Airport. Last I heard, Lufthansa was going to build maintenance hangars there.

JB

I must say, your airport knowledge is amazing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads