• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where would you prefer your clothes/shoes/accessories to be made, and why?

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master Squirrel
I'm from America and take pills so I can pee Red, White and Blue.
I pee red, white and blue but it all depends on how much Scotch I've had that day which color you'll get
frown.gif

JammieDodger

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Seymour
American Apparel claims all their stuff is made in the US. Specifically, in California.

You're right as well.

I thought there was one which manufactured in China but paid US minimum wage and supplied workers with bicycles etc.

Nevermind, AA seems ethical enough for me.

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
USA, simply because they are cheaper and for equivalent quality to the Brits, Italians, and French. Come on, do you really want to pay Papworth's shipping? And not to mention US vintage goods, which at one point were the best in the world.

Shirts-Hamilton
Suits-Oxxford
Bags-Ghurka
Pens-Chilton
Shoes-Alden
Ties-Olch (too many to list)
Watch-RGM
Hats-Cavanagh
Bicycle and accessories-Calfee/ Vanilla
Cufflinks-Swank
Knives-Case
Canes/walking sticks-Rosencrans
.List goes on

I think US quality is still very high, esp. in the area of men's accessories.

CashmereLover

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HHD
Generally the UK or France.

I think "Made in France" is pretty rare, unfortunately. Don't see it very often. I love France so I'd also love to have something made by a Frenchman.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JammieDodger
You're right as well.

I thought there was one which manufactured in China but paid US minimum wage and supplied workers with bicycles etc.

Nevermind, AA seems ethical enough for me.

Whatever shoe company that donates a pair for every sold says they do this.

They manufacture in the third world at "fair labor" prices, then sell the ugly canvas shoes to guilty white wealthy liberals for $200/pr. Brilliant. I wish I had come up with that scam.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CashmereLover
I think "Made in France" is pretty rare, unfortunately. Don't see it very often. I love France so I'd also love to have something made by a Frenchman.
Rare? I have an MTM suit by Pierre Cardin, a pair of Loding shoes, boat load of Hermes ties and accessories. I had before some pieces from YSL. They're all made in France. Some John Lobb shoes are made in France too (since they're owned by Hermes)

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thats cause their gov't pays them not to work, and charges them $$$ when they do work.

They also think they're such hot **** with their wines/cheeses. Arg, the french
ffffuuuu.gif

I prefer english made followed by italian. we should all be careful to remember the RLPL cashmere incident as well. where something is assembled might be less important than where the cloth was manufactured.

HHD

Reaction score
There are a few. For example, Corthay, Charvet and Cifonelli at the high end, JM Weston, Paraboot and quite a lot of Agnès b in the middle range. There are plenty of producers of fine accessories. There was an article on the subject of French-made clothing in le Figaro before Christmas. In an interview for the feature, Agnès b said that she's found increasing numbers of British and Japanese shoppers are demanding the Made in France stuff, which accounts for around 1/3 of her production and 2/3s of her revenues. It is possible to produce in France, but it is true that employment laws and high payroll taxes do not make it easy. On a more anecdotal level, the practices of sewing on the label and designating the item "Made in XXXXX" and/or employing vast numbers of migrant workers in sweatshop conditions while giving the impression that your products are manufactured by traditional artisans are not so widespread in France.

CashmereLover

Reaction score
Of course there are examples, like the ones you mention, I just feel that it's much easier to find clothes/shoes/accessories made in e.g. Italy.

What would you consider to be the main reason for a slight lack of French made clothes - taxes & employment laws, or is it more of a cultural matter? For some reason I believe France is more about e.g. fragrance.

Lowndes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by luftvier
Whatever shoe company that donates a pair for every sold says they do this.

They manufacture in the third world at "fair labor" prices, then sell the ugly canvas shoes to guilty white wealthy liberals for $200/pr. Brilliant. I wish I had come up with that scam.

Are you thinking of TOMS? I bought a pair of their shoes for my sister in law for Christmas and they are actually pretty cheap. Definitely not $200. More like $50 or so.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eloiseakagra700