• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to find a modestly priced suit with Natural Shoulders

bobbymilwaukee

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I've been rebuilding my wardrobe slowly but surely and evaporating my credit, and really don't need anything else drastically. I got a few pairs of MTO Rivets from Epaulet that I'm excited to receive, some A.P.C.s, 6 OCBD's from J.Crew that fit like magic, and some brown calf double monk Allen Edmonds. Uniform is usually an OCBD with a tie and jeans, but my hunger is insatiable,

For the future, I'd like to get some Wool Trousers and rebuild my sock drawer, but really what I want is a suit.

I went through a little bit of a suit craze two years ago and ended up with a Black Fleece suit in Navy that I recently sold on eBay to fund my current closet. It was a really nice suit and Thom Browne's aesthetic worked for someone with my build which is obnoxiously skinny, and it fit me pretty regularly. One thing I really didn't like though, was the shoulders. They had a really terribly noticeable roped sleevehead that stopped me from wearing it as often as I told myself I would, and it ended up being a waste of money.

My question would be, does anyone know where I can find a suit with natural shoulders? I've done some research and I absolutely love this look. The best I can describe it is that I want the jacket to fit me like a cardigan. I love Sid Mashburn's entire catalogue, and while I wouldn't crop my pants so high, his jackets look great to me. Can anyone help? I don't have a savings account and make really not much money so anything over 1000 is definitely out of reach and even that's a stretch. I know that limits my possibilities and I have to live with that, but I don't want to just grab something because it looks good also. I do care about quality.

I've looked into Benjamin Sartorial which seems like a steal for the price, but don't know much about the shoulders. Pictures I've seen have been inconsistent, with a lot having the typical padded shoulder, but some without. Another thing is the super 140's count that worries me. I'd like the jacket to fit like a cardigan and wear like one. I'd love to be able to wear this suit out and around without worrying I'm going to damage it every time I stand up.

I know Brooks Brothers traditionally has a more natural shoulder, but is it really natural or just lightly padded? I haven't tried any of their suits on, but wouldn't be surprised if they don't even fit me. I'm a 36 short if I'm lucky. I saw that they have a Design Your Own Suit option on their website that actually seems to be cheaper than buying their standard options (does anyone know why this is?), but have read conflicting reviews of their quality of late. I know I can't go GF but if the 1818 is up to snuff and has natural enough shoulders I'd be more than willing to go that way.

Any help, well, helps.

Thanks!

dreamspace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Polo Ralph Lauren suits have pretty damn soft shoulders.

I've owned one Lardini suit that was totally unstructured and fit like a Cardigan. Also currently own a Prada suit which has extremely soft shoulders

vida

Reaction score
Sid Mashburn's suits have a natural shoulder but the look is more "southern Italian" in style. The cut is slightly updated but nothing extreme. Hope this helps.

bobbymilwaukee

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Sid Mashburn's suits have a natural shoulder but the look is more "southern Italian" in style. The cut is slightly updated but nothing extreme. Hope this helps.

It does, it never hurts to know more about what you're looking at.

Polo Ralph Lauren suits have pretty damn soft shoulders.

I've owned one Lardini suit that was totally unstructured and fit like a Cardigan. Also currently own a Prada suit which has extremely soft shoulders

Thanks a lot. Checking out Ralph Lauren, and the shoulders on the Polo suits definitely look good. This is kind of exciting because RLBL fits me pretty awesome even OTR. Will the two fit similarly? I'll probably go down to the RL in my area Monday to try one on. Can they be had for less than $1500? I've seen sales on the site before but never anything in my size.

Any idea how much higher quality PRL is than BB 1818?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads