• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where can I buy wool for an overcoat?

ATok

Reaction score
Hey,

I need your help in suggesting where I could find, online, high-quality wool fabric, for my future overcoat.

I'm searching for quite heavy-dense (650-900 g) deep(dark) navy wool that can withstand winds, light rain, and keep me warm at 10 celsius without much layering (undershirt + shirt).

In Israel, nobody sells these wools because the coldest days in winter rarely get below 10 degrees, but where I live (Jerusalem) it snows almost every winter (except the north of the country - Jerusalem is the only place that has snow)

As for my current budget, I can afford no more than 80$ per meter.

I tried to find some on my own, so far found only moons.co.uk, and would like to find more options to choose from. (I assume that what I'm searching for probably is made in Britain, or to say it more accurately, I would prefer it to be made in Britain :))

Of course, they should offer samples and convenient international shipping.

I'll be grateful for any help!

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Is there a reason why you don't want to choose a cloth from your tailor's books?

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there a reason why you don't want to choose a cloth from your tailor's books?
I can't speak for OP, but a major issue I had was the selection wasn't great at my own tailor. The "coatings" I was shown looked more like jacketings in smaller scale tweed.

That or 100% cashmere.

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
Hey,

I need your help in suggesting where I could find, online, high-quality wool fabric, for my future overcoat.

I'm searching for quite heavy-dense (650-900 g) deep(dark) navy wool that can withstand winds, light rain, and keep me warm at 10 celsius without much layering (undershirt + shirt).

In Israel, nobody sells these wools because the coldest days in winter rarely get below 10 degrees, but where I live (Jerusalem) it snows almost every winter (except the north of the country - Jerusalem is the only place that has snow)

As for my current budget, I can afford no more than 80$ per meter.

I tried to find some on my own, so far found only moons.co.uk that don't have a wide variety. (I assume that what I'm searching for probably is made in Britain, or to say it more accurately, I would prefer it to be made in Britain :))

Of course, they should offer samples and convenient international shipping.

I'll be grateful for any help!

Any wool coat fabric in that weight range should easily keep you warm and dry in Jerusalem. Just worry about whether you like the cloth aesthetically.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Personally don't think a heavy topcoat looks right without another layer underneath, like a sweater or even a sport coat. If you're going to wear the coat just over a shirt, I would get a lighter weight fabric.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally don't think a heavy topcoat looks right without another layer underneath, like a sweater or even a sport coat. If you're going to wear the coat just over a shirt, I would get a lighter weight fabric.
A scarf fixes the visual problem for filling up the space around upper chest/neck, if that's what you meant.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A scarf fixes the visual problem for filling up the space around upper chest/neck, if that's what you meant.

No, I mean the visual weight of the two things.

Hard to discuss this without photos, but this was touched on elsewhere. I can't find the thread right now, but someone posted a photo of himself wearing a Kaptain Sunshine traveler coat with just a shirt. It didn't look right. He then posted a photo of himself wearing it with a sweater and it looked great.

Mark briefly touches on this idea here

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, I mean the visual weight of the two things.

Hard to discuss this without photos, but this was touched on elsewhere. I can't find the thread right now, but someone posted a photo of himself wearing a Kaptain Sunshine traveler coat with just a shirt. It didn't look right. He then posted a photo of himself wearing it with a sweater and it looked great.

Mark briefly touches on this idea here

Oh I think I understand now in terms of coherence and visual weight.

Personally I find that hard to navigate practically. The difference in looking great, being warm, and overheating and sweating profusely can be a thin line with a sweater mid-layer.

That's basically the main reason stopping me from getting a turtleneck. I started sweating just looking at Mark's outfit.

ATok

Reaction score

As I mentioned, because no one works with those kind of fabric here, so he don't have any either..

As for wearing just a shirt, I probably won't wear it that way. I did phrase it that way to explain how warm I want it to be.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
STACY411