• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When would you wear a double-breasted navy sport jacket?

rjc149

Reaction score
No one is talking about only wearing DBs to work!!! There are people who live outside of work, and so plenty of opportunities to wear a DB suit, even if you can't wear one to work.
And that's fine -- but I've repeated many, many time throughout this thread that I have nothing against DB jackets. This is a pervasive misattribution that is just dying really hard I guess.

In the business world, yes. DB suits are out. Sorry buddy. It is what it is.

Anywhere else, they're uncommon, so they stand out. If you don't mind standing out, being a little dressier and showier than your peers, wear a DB suit to dinner. God bless.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
And that's fine -- but I've repeated many, many time throughout this thread that I have nothing against DB jackets. This is a pervasive misattribution that is just dying really hard I guess.

In the business world, yes. DB suits are out. Sorry buddy. It is what it is.

Anywhere else, they're uncommon, so they stand out. If you don't mind standing out, being a little dressier and showier than your peers, wear a DB suit to dinner. God bless.

Tailored clothing is dying out. I agree that DBs are uncommon and stand out more than an SB. But if you like tailored clothing, newsflash: it's all dying out. Especially if you like the more classic varieties. This stuff makes you stand out regardless.

rjc149

Reaction score
Tailored clothing is dying out. I agree that DBs are uncommon and stand out more than an SB. But if you like tailored clothing, newsflash: it's all dying out. Especially if you like the more classic varieties. This stuff makes you stand out regardless.
This sounds a little doom n gloom to me. Tailored clothing will become more exclusive, and maybe therefore less common. But I don't think it's dying out. No one is paying $7,000 for a suit tailored by a computer. People still want $7,000 suits.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This sounds a little doom n gloom to me. Tailored clothing will become more exclusive, and maybe therefore less common. But I don't think it's dying out. No one is paying $7,000 for a suit tailored by a computer. People still want $7,000 suits.

You can just browse the CM side of the board. The two most common topics of discussion:

1. Does anyone dress up anymore? (This question alone suggests that people do not see tailored clothing around them)

2. How can I dress up without standing out? (Again, this suggests that such people find tailored clothing uncommon in their environment)

rjc149

Reaction score
You can just browse the CM side of the board. The two most common topics of discussion:

1. Does anyone dress up anymore? (This question alone suggests that people do not see tailored clothing around them)

2. How can I dress up without standing out? (Again, this suggests that such people find tailored clothing uncommon in their environment)
I'm assuming by "tailored clothing" you mean creased trousers and jackets, button-down shirts, and dress shoes. Not necessarily that a garment has been made-to-order or otherwise underwent alterations to hone the fit to the wearer -- which these days, I'm getting the impression, can extend "tailored clothing" to jeans, chinos, casual shirts, even t-shirts.

There was a time where blue-collar manual laborers went to work wearing neckties. This wasn't considered "dressing up." It would be now, because these outfits lack comfort and practicality for those types of occupations. Over time, society's tastes have evolved to viewing uncomfortable and impractical clothing as things to be worn only when necessary, or things that we wear grudgingly (ie. men complaining about having to wear suits, or startups enticing millenial and Gen-Z employees with casual office dress codes, etc).

To a certain extent, I've held this view of tailored clothing -- or rather, I've been indoctrinated to it, since the majority of my peers (which includes my father, who wore a suit to work but otherwise dresses indifferently), see tailored clothing as less comfortable and practical for casual wear than jeans, sneakers, a Patagonia windbreaker etc. and would only wear a suit to a wedding or a funeral.

This obviously stands in contrast to its enthusiasts, men like yourself and other posters here who take issue with my observation that wearing a DB blazer or suit stands out, and the logical bridge anyone can make between "standing out" and "being flashy/showy."

So I never stated that tailored clothing is to be strictly reserved for professional business environments or special occasions. My view that DB garments are showier than their SB counterparts doesn't come from a place of fear. I'm simply opining from a more general perspective about them.

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm assuming by "tailored clothing" you mean creased trousers and jackets, button-down shirts, and dress shoes. Not necessarily that a garment has been made-to-order or otherwise underwent alterations to hone the fit to the wearer -- which these days, I'm getting the impression, can extend "tailored clothing" to jeans, chinos, casual shirts, even t-shirts.

There was a time where blue-collar manual laborers went to work wearing neckties. This wasn't considered "dressing up." It would be now, because these outfits lack comfort and practicality for those types of occupations. Over time, society's tastes have evolved to viewing uncomfortable and impractical clothing as things to be worn only when necessary, or things that we wear grudgingly (ie. men complaining about having to wear suits, or startups enticing millenial and Gen-Z employees with casual office dress codes, etc).

To a certain extent, I've held this view of tailored clothing -- or rather, I've been indoctrinated to it, since the majority of my peers (which includes my father, who wore a suit to work but otherwise dresses indifferently), see tailored clothing as less comfortable and practical for casual wear than jeans, sneakers, a Patagonia windbreaker etc. and would only wear a suit to a wedding or a funeral.

This obviously stands in contrast to its enthusiasts, men like yourself and other posters here who take issue with my observation that wearing a DB blazer or suit stands out, and the logical bridge anyone can make between "standing out" and "being flashy/showy."

So I never stated that tailored clothing is to be strictly reserved for professional business environments or special occasions. My view that DB garments are showier than their SB counterparts doesn't come from a place of fear. I'm simply opining from a more general perspective about them.

I'm confused on how this builds on our previous conversation, but yes, I agree that most men see tailored clothing as uncomfortable and this contributes to the style dying out.

As mentioned, if you like tailored clothing and want to wear it, you have to be comfortable with a certain level of standing out. This includes you in a single-breasted sport coat.

rjc149

Reaction score
I'm confused on how this builds on our previous conversation, but yes, I agree that most men see tailored clothing as uncomfortable and this contributes to the style dying out.
I didn't really see our previous conversation as being very constructive, so I'm pivoting to a different tack.

As mentioned, if you like tailored clothing and want to wear it, you have to be comfortable with a certain level of standing out.
This was all I wanted to say.

And moreover, to add, there's nothing wrong with being uncomfortable standing out. Men who dress to stand out and men who don't are going to be fundamentally opposed on this, but this invalidates neither viewpoint.

Last edited:

willyto

Reaction score
I wear DB jackets often. I wear tailored clothing 24/7 and I do not have to wear it because at work I wear a black suit and white shirt as uniform. Even when I go out for lunch, dinner or a drink with friends or dates I wear tailoring, even DB sometimes. It just depends on my mood and how warm it is. I'll change the spot coat or blazer for a leather jacket or knitwear depending on the occasion though.

I also wear bow ties and flat caps or hats. No one has ever mentioned "why are you wearing a suit?" on the contrary I get compliments all the time on how I dress.

4NNsUfT.jpg

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
I wear DB jackets often. I wear tailored clothing 24/7 and I do not have to wear it because at work I wear a black suit and white shirt as uniform. Even when I go out for lunch, dinner or a drink with friends or dates I wear tailoring, even DB sometimes. It just depends on my mood and how warm it is. I'll change the spot coat or blazer for a leather jacket or knitwear depending on the occasion though.

I also wear bow ties and flat caps or hats. No one has ever mentioned "why are you wearing a suit?" on the contrary I get compliments all the time on how I dress.

4NNsUfT.jpg
Can I ask how old you are roughly? Where do you live? And do your friends/family that you socialize with dress similarly?

willyto

Reaction score
Can I ask how old you are roughly? Where do you live? And do your friends/family that you socialize with dress similarly?
I'm in my early 30s in Barcelona which is very european city. Except for my grandfather none of the people around dress similarly, they don't judge me and I don't judge them.

I see people in suits on a daily basis, mostly people working in consulting firms, lawyers, bank workers or just the office. In general the city specially because of the very warm weather is very very casual, we're near the beach. One can tell most men don't know how to wear them and do so because it's mandatory, none of the trousers hemmed, sleeves too long, backpacks over the suit,etc. Very few wear something that fits them properly. The women on the other hand are almost always very well dressed.

For example here the official footwear for men who dress classic could be said it's Sebago loafers worn with everything from suits to jeans/chinos. Also "Naúticos" worn all the time specially spring/summer.

I'm always the one dressed up but for people being dressed up is anyone who wears a shirt and if it's tucked int then that's super formal. I'm not barney stinson wearing a suit 24/7, in fact I rarely wear a full suit but I do wear dress trousers, dress shoes and a shirt/polo on a daily basis. I already stand out because of my moustache, a DB blazer or a SB sport coat is not going to make any difference.

rjc149

Reaction score
I already stand out because of my moustache, a DB blazer or a SB sport coat is not going to make any difference.
In other words, your attire is in harmony with the rest of your appearance and your personality, so it isn't conspicuous and doesn't draw any undue attention. And I'm sure that your unique personal style is part of your charm.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In other words, your attire is in harmony with the rest of your appearance and your personality, so it isn't conspicuous and doesn't draw any undue attention. And I'm sure that your unique personal style is part of your charm.

?? so if he shaved his moustache he'd stand out in that outfit?

If I saw that outfit I'd say to myself, "oh interesting look" and move on with my day regardless of his facial hair or personality. If I never saw looks/outfits that made me pause for a second to take it in, my life would be just a little less interesting.

Cause Moe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TIL that there are people who wear suits 24/7. The suits must be horribly wrinkled after a good night's sleep. Don't the oxford shoes leave unsightly shoe polish stains on the sheets?

Crispyj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TIL that there are people who wear suits 24/7. The suits must be horribly wrinkled after a good night's sleep. Don't the oxford shoes leave unsightly shoe polish stains on the sheets?
That's why you shower every morning with your suit in. To get rid of the wrinkles.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads