• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mystry613

Reaction score

They had a pretty large restock of BF shirts last week (first time I saw them anyway). If the Black Fleece line has been discontinued (for some time now), then where the heck are these new shirts coming from? I doubt these are actually old stock items.

I've been following the Black Fleece line for years. On occasion, they will add random items that were released years prior. The advance release date on those shirts seems suspect, but that must be some form of logistic issue on older stock rather than new items (or is it possible that they have leftover material they need to cut and create new "old stock" shirts?). I also suspect they had created BF items that were never added to the web-site but only sent to stores, which may explain why some may appear to be new releases.

What's particularly odd now is that, to the best of my knowledge, all BF items have been pulled from stores, so I'm not sure where the newly-added items are coming from. I suppose they're adding the leftover from their warehouse(s) in parts. Adding odd one-off items to the site certainly made sense when they had a network of stores carrying the items, which could send some stuff back to the warehouse.

Jackboot

Reaction score
Do you recall seeing any of these shirt styles in the past? I've only followed the BF line since it went on clearance :embar: I don't think any of the styles that were just "restocked" were also available in the last year.

My guess is that these new shirts are currently being cut & sewn using old stock fabric. If that's the case - and keeping the clearance pricing in mind - it really makes you question the markup on the BF line and the true cost of using USA labor.

Anyway, I bought another pile of OCBDs. I love the fit and quality, especially at the clearance pricing. Although I wish I could have saved another 25% off the clearance pricing like the first time I bought the BF OCBDs.

518aata

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do you recall seeing any of these shirt styles in the past? I've only followed the BF line since it went on clearance :embar: I don't think any of the styles that were just "restocked" were also available in the last year.

My guess is that these new shirts are currently being cut & sewn using old stock fabric. If that's the case - and keeping the clearance pricing in mind - it really makes you question the markup on the BF line and the true cost of using USA labor.

Anyway, I bought another pile of OCBDs. I love the fit and quality, especially at the clearance pricing. Although I wish I could have saved another 25% off the clearance pricing like the first time I bought the BF OCBDs.

I've seen most of these fabrics before, but I have no idea why they're showing up now, especially in a broad range of sizes. Bought three.

Wish some NOS BF pants would appear in the clearance section....

js4design

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been covered somewhere but BB no longer has the sizing guide for black fleece on the website. Anyone have a recommendation on what size would fit comparably to a small in the regent fit?

SklounstDraxxer

Reaction score
Thanks, I thought they had taken that down. How do you (or anyone else) find the fit when compared to Madison, Regent, and Milano?
Sorry, I have no experience with Black Fleece but am thinking to change that with this sale. Am also curious about the fit, particularly in comparison to Milano 16-34 dress shirts.

Jackboot

Reaction score

Sorry, I have no experience with Black Fleece but am thinking to change that with this sale. Am also curious about the fit, particularly in comparison to Milano 16-34 dress shirts.

I usually wear a 15.5-34 dress shirt in Milano fit. The BB1 size fits me better than any other OTR dress shirt.

I don't have any experience with Regent or Madison fits.

Compared to the Milano 15.5-34, I find that the BB1 has slightly more room in the chest, slightly less room in the waist, and is slightly longer overall. This is perfect for me as I am tall and slim overall with wider shoulders and a small waist. I usually do a military tuck, but there is not really enough fabric to do so with the BB1 shirts.

If you are a 16-34 in Milano, based on my experience you might want to try the BB2.

SklounstDraxxer

Reaction score
I usually wear a 15.5-34 dress shirt in Milano fit. The BB1 size fits me better than any other OTR dress shirt.

Compared to the Milano 15.5-34, I find that the BB1 has slightly more room in the chest, slightly less room in the waist, and is slightly longer overall. This is perfect for me as I am tall and slim overall with wider shoulders and a small waist. I usually do a military tuck, but there is not really enough fabric to do so with the BB1 shirts.

If you are a 16-34 in Milano, based on my experience you might want to try the BB2.
Thank you! This is excellent information.

SklounstDraxxer

Reaction score

Also, I find it interesting you don't wear BB2 in Black Fleece--according to the size chart, BB2 is 15.5-34, which is exactly your Milano fit.

Jackboot

Reaction score

Also, I find it interesting you don't wear BB2 in Black Fleece--according to the size chart, BB2 is 15.5-34, which is exactly your Milano fit.

I agree it's weird. As you can see in my sig, I have also tried the Milano fit in 15-34, but the neck is very slightly too small. In my experience, the neck size in BF is slightly larger than the size chart indicates. I just ordered another 7 BB1 shirts, so hopefully the sizing is consistent.

Maybe someone can confirm my experience?

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you recall seeing any of these shirt styles in the past? I've only followed the BF line since it went on clearance
shog[1].gif
I don't think any of the styles that were just "restocked" were also available in the last year.

Pretty sure those shirts are from some forgotten warehouse. I bought a BF shirt a couple of months ago and they are "old" stock. That shirt had a tag dated 2009 or 2011 (can't remember).

mystry613

Reaction score
Interesting. I've only seen dates on Black Fleece with either 2007 or 2008, I think. Another way of gauging the approximate age of an item when the year is omitted in the tag (based upon production of the particular item) is whether the main tag says "Brooks Brothers" or "Black Fleece". I believe they switched to the latter around 2010/2011 when they started selling the items in other stores, like Barneys. I point out the production of the particular item, rather than the item in general, because some items were made every/multiple years, like some of the OCBD staples (I have some the "same" (by item number) blue OCBD's, and some of the older tag, and some the newer one).

Togas

Reaction score
Do you recall seeing any of these shirt styles in the past? I've only followed the BF line since it went on clearance
shog[1].gif
I don't think any of the styles that were just "restocked" were also available in the last year.

I just picked up this shirt about a month ago from the site.
http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Khaki...ar_FE00222_Color=KHAK&contentpos=13&cgid=1592

Snagged it for $39.00 due to another sale stacking with it, plus I used a gift card I bought at a discount.
Super nice shirt.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads