• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

urfloormatt

Reaction score
Was in BB yesterday for Black Friday, and learned that their polos and sports shirts with the different label on the back of the neck are part of the Red Fleece collection. The fit is ESF. The style is casual, probably part of their effort to appeal to younger men. I've unwittingly been a big fan of this RF collection. The polos are vastly superior in fit and finish to their Golden Fleece performance polos, and since the fit is ESF, their sport shirts are my favorite fit among OTR button down shirts I've tried over the years.

What I also learned yesterday is that, for many of their Red Fleece sports shirts, the website does a terrible disservice to them. They look much, much better in person. Would recommend an in-person look.

Thinking specifically of these:

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Extra...ar_MG00706_Color=GOLD&contentpos=13&cgid=0297

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Extra...ar_MG00708_Color=BRWN&contentpos=23&cgid=0297

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Extra...ar_MG00709_Color=GREN&contentpos=27&cgid=0297

Would never purchase any of those shirts online based on those photos, but in person I was immediately drawn to them. The colors blend in a much more subtle fashion than the website would suggest. The latter two are flannel.

I'd also take issue with the fact that BB only labels pants and apparently some suiting options as Red Fleece but not sport shirts, which are instead labeled as ESF. Why is there not a RF section on their new website?

One other question, has anyone tried any of their RF pants? How's the fit? I have long shied away from most BB pants because they're simply too baggy in the leg. (Even their Milano chinos.)

Last edited:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Free shipping...no minimun..through tomorrow.

sftiger

Reaction score
Was in BB yesterday for Black Friday, and learned that their polos and sports shirts with the different label on the back of the neck are part of the Red Fleece collection.  The fit is ESF.  The style is casual, probably part of their effort to appeal to younger men.  I've unwittingly been a big fan of this RF collection.  The polos are vastly superior in fit and finish to their Golden Fleece performance polos, and since the fit is ESF, their sport shirts are my favorite fit among OTR button down shirts I've tried over the years.

What I also learned yesterday is that, for many of their Red Fleece sports shirts, the website does a terrible disservice to them.  They look much, much better in person.  Would recommend an in-person look.

Thinking specifically of these:

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Extra...ar_MG00706_Color=GOLD&contentpos=13&cgid=0297

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Extra...ar_MG00708_Color=BRWN&contentpos=23&cgid=0297

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Extra...ar_MG00709_Color=GREN&contentpos=27&cgid=0297

Would never purchase any of those shirts online based on those photos, but in person I was immediately drawn to them.  The colors blend in a much more subtle fashion than the website would suggest.  The latter two are flannel.

I'd also take issue with the fact that BB only labels pants and apparently some suiting options as Red Fleece but not sport shirts, which are instead labeled as ESF.  Why is there not a RF section on their new website?

One other question, has anyone tried any of their RF pants?  How's the fit?  I have long shied away from most BB pants because they're simply too baggy in the leg.  (Even their Milano chinos.)

Probably a great fit on this stuff, but my impression was the "Red Fleece" (that's not the real name, is it?) was trimmer and marketed towards a younger audience, but that most of it is made in China. When I've seen that stuff in person it looks to be of lower quality and I personally wouldn't buy it.

Last edited:

Willin

Reaction score
During a recent sale I bought one pair of trousers that was 34x34 and got them hemmed to a 34x30 since they were the last available option in stock in the color I wanted.

It turns out this was a bad idea and the rise is too high and they don't fit nearly as well as the stock 34x30 trousers. I have learned my lesson. My question is do you think I can return these pants? I had them hemmed at a BB location. Would I have to get them lengthened again to return them or just let BB know of the issue?

Thanks for info!

js4design

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

During a recent sale I bought one pair of trousers that was 34x34 and got them hemmed to a 34x30 since they were the last available option in stock in the color I wanted.
It turns out this was a bad idea and the rise is too high and they don't fit nearly as well as the stock 34x30 trousers. I have learned my lesson. My question is do you think I can return these pants? I had them hemmed at a BB location. Would I have to get them lengthened again to return them or just let BB know of the issue?
Thanks for info!

Maybe, especially since the SA should have told you that the rise on the 34 is longer than the 30 (I think 30 and 32 have the same rise).

fashionnoob

Reaction score
This may have been covered elsewhere in this thread, but I couldn't find a post on point in my brief search.

Last year, I recall that BB had a "40% off on a certain category" type of sale for about a week in December. (I.e., one day 40% off sweaters, another day 40% off outerwear, etc.) Does anyone know when that sale will occur this year, or whether it will occur at all?

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for info!

It's really up to the store now I think. Typically anything altered is not returnable from a general standpoint, but BB may allow it.

js4design

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's really up to the store now I think. Typically anything altered is not returnable from a general standpoint, but BB may allow it.

I think BB will take returns if they did the alterations. That is one of the benefits of having the alterations done at the store.

aj555

Reaction score
I'm still fairly new to the forum, and the world of style. But this is a semi related question to this thread. I've been reading how people say the BB 346 is basically garbage compared to the real BB lines since it's made separately for the outlets. My question is what's the point of it? I regularly get emails from the BB main stores, and with their sales it's just as cheap as the outlet. So what's the point of the outlet with the bad line?

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This may have been covered elsewhere in this thread, but I couldn't find a post on point in my brief search.
Last year, I recall that BB had a "40% off on a certain category" type of sale for about a week in December. (I.e., one day 40% off sweaters, another day 40% off outerwear, etc.) Does anyone know when that sale will occur this year, or whether it will occur at all?

This was the week before Christmas or maybe 2 weeks before as a special holiday sale.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm still fairly new to the forum, and the world of style. But this is a semi related question to this thread. I've been reading how people say the BB 346 is basically garbage compared to the real BB lines since it's made separately for the outlets. My question is what's the point of it? I regularly get emails from the BB main stores, and with their sales it's just as cheap as the outlet. So what's the point of the outlet with the bad line?

The 346 stores sell a lot of clothing to people who go shopping in the large outlet malls where they are installed. Diffusion brands are profitable. That's the point of it.

Not all the 346 lines are that much different from the mainline stores. Some of the sweaters look 100% the same to me (I see piles of mixed mainline and 346 in the one outlet mall store I visit once a year).

Also, not all the stuff in the mainline stores is really that great. The 1818 suits are a diffusion brand compared to the Golden Fleece. BB quality runs the gamut from low to high. Most of the mainline stuff is middling to high, I think. The steady middling dependability of BB has long been one of its attractions.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member