• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MTC87

Reaction score
it all depends on your needs. imo, 30% is ok. I still believe the after holiday deal is better if you can wait and hope your size is available, and that's when your SA comes in..If the price comes out to be $450 with taxes for the BB C&J, I would rather go directly with C&J handgrade for a few extra bucks and better choices. That's assuming you know your size/fitting on a specific last.

Can anyone comment on the quality difference between the Peal & Co. captoe and the non-Peal shoes? I'm looking at two perforated captoes that are both on sale, and I'm wondering if the $150 differential is worth it between the two below options:

{Peal & Co.) http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCat...BLACK&sort_by=&sectioncolor=Black&sectionsize=

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCat...BLACK&sort_by=&sectioncolor=Black&sectionsize=

surf2japan

Reaction score
What is the difference in quality between Allen Edmonds and Peal&Co. ? I'm looking to buy my first pairs of dress shoes (one black, one brown) and am wondering if I should capitalize on today's sale. Even with the discount the Peal&Co. shoes will be about $100 more than their AE counterparts, does the difference between them justify the higher cost?

Peal & Co. Straight Captoe Blucher.
Allen Edmonds Park Avenue

Peal & Co. Perforated Captoe
Allen Edmonds Fifth Avenue

Also, does anyone have any experience with the Peal & Co. Chukka Field Boots? Would these be a better alternative to Clarks?

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is the difference in quality between Allen Edmonds and Peal&Co. ? I'm looking to buy my first pairs of dress shoes (one black, one brown) and am wondering if I should capitalize on today's sale. Even with the discount the Peal&Co. shoes will be about $100 more than their AE counterparts, does the difference between them justify the higher cost?

Peal & Co. Straight Captoe Blucher.
Allen Edmonds Park Avenue

Peal & Co. Perforated Captoe
Allen Edmonds Fifth Avenue

Also, does anyone have any experience with the Peal & Co. Chukka Field Boots? Would these be a better alternative to Clarks?

This is a question only you can answer. Keep in mind that you can typically get AE's for $200-225 during one of their many sales. I have the AE Park Avenue and the Peal perforated captoe and can say there is a noticeable difference in quality and appearance between the two. The C&J made Peal has a nicer finish, nicer leather, channeled soles and a more elegant last than its AE Fifth Avenue counterpart. Is that improvement worth $200? Maybe.

amathew

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is a question only you can answer.  Keep in mind that you can typically get AE's for $200-225 during one of their many sales.  I have the AE Park Avenue and the Peal perforated captoe and can say there is a noticeable difference in quality and appearance between the two.  The C&J made Peal has a nicer finish, nicer leather, channeled soles and a more elegant last than its AE Fifth Avenue counterpart.  Is that improvement worth $200?  Maybe.

Agreed. I own Peal & Co. black monkstraps. I own Strands and Park Aves by AE. I can the say Peal & Co. leather looks and feels nicer. $200 nicer? Like New Shoes said - that's up to the buyer/wearer.

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In regards to the classic buck, what do you think is the most versatile color that they offer. I'm leaning towards dark grey, though I'd love to get them in white. 

By versatile, I mean acceptable to work in a work environment that isn't traditional and has a liberal dress policy.

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCat...y=lowestPrice&sectioncolor=&sectionsize=#null

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCat...LACK&sort_by=&sectioncolor=&sectionsize=#null

I wish the tan was just a slight bit darker. Maybe then it wouldn't be tan? Heh. Anyways ... the light grey, tan, dark brown, and navy should all be workplace acceptable. Depending on how liberal the policy, they may all be acceptable although green and red seem like a stretch. Seems like the white would get dirty so easily and it would be a pain ********** keeping them looking nice.

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Does any of the Peal & Co lasts have a C&J 337/348 level of sleekness?
no...the perforated captoe is on the 325 last...

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wish the tan was just a slight bit darker. Maybe then it wouldn't be tan? Heh. Anyways ... the light grey, tan, dark brown, and navy should all be workplace acceptable. Depending on how liberal the policy, they may all be acceptable although green and red seem like a stretch. Seems like the white would get dirty so easily and it would be a pain ********** keeping them looking nice.

safe color is Tan...need a little pop, definitely the Navy...or get both :)

Last edited:

amathew

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
safe color is Tan...need a little pop, definitely the Navy...or get both
smile.gif

I really want the white, but I don't want to spend $100+ on shoes which I might wear 5 times a year.

Still thinking...given my luck, both will probably sell out before I can email the SA with my order. Of course, I have a pair of off-white suede wingtips from Stacy Adams that I bought just as I was getting into fashion, and before I learned about Styleforum.

Now this is a real conundrum.

Last edited:

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is Black Fleece too trendy for the work environment? Because aside from the number of vents and the quality of materials, it's the same. And everyone who jumped on that sale the other week should probably have been alerted. More importantly, lets ask why Brooks Brothers even has the line if the majority view is that those suits are business inappropriate. What is its purpose, exactly, aside from dressing the cast of Mad Men? It is not the ultra conservative option, as I noted in my prior post. But this is your contention, illustrated: Appropriate vs. Inappropriate [COLOR=22229C] [/COLOR] For what it's worth, I think the cut of the Regent jacket as illustrated above is far superior (though the poor length on the Cambridge coat's sleeves here certainly don't help the overall presentation), but to each his own. It may well be that a trendy jacket becomes unwearable due to changing fashion trends more quickly than a traditional one. But that is a risk that people who cop to the latest trends understand.
Give us some more background to your workplaces. What do others wear? Colors, textures...

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No, all C&J BB Peals are on the 240 last, which is proprietary to BB.  That said, it's very similar to the C&J 236 last.
sorry..yes your are absolutely correct...240 not 325...

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AuricG