• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

notice i mentioned "in retail store"
there is a big comfort in being able to try on a suit in person prior to purchasing AND being able to return it for a full refund if it does not work out

Not if you know your precise measurements

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not if you know your precise measurements

Okay, this is a point I've been curious about for awhile. Even if you know your precise measurements, how can you be sure about how the suit will fit without trying it on first. My measurements would tell me to buy a 42L in a Hickey Freeman, but experience tells me that it is too boxy and does not look good on me. Same with a BB Madison cut. Yet, I know from experience that a 42L in the Regent or 43L in the Fitzgerald fit me much better. Short of going store to store to try on all the brands, is there some other trick to knowing how a certain line of suits will fit?

I'm genuinely curious and want to know how you go about obtaining the knowledge needed to buy comfortably over ebay and B&S.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Okay, this is a point I've been curious about for awhile.  Even if you know your precise measurements, how can you be sure about how the suit will fit without trying it on first.  My measurements would tell me to buy a 42L in a Hickey Freeman, but experience tells me that it is too boxy and does not look good on me.  Same with a BB Madison cut.  Yet, I know from experience that a 42L in the Regent or 43L in the Fitzgerald fit me much better.  Short of going store to store to try on all the brands, is there some other trick to knowing how a certain line of suits will fit?

I'm genuinely curious and want to know how you go about obtaining the knowledge needed to buy comfortably over ebay and B&S.

For the shoulders, find a jacket with medium padding. It fits well in the shoulders if the shoulder seams are located where your natural shoulder terminate. If you stand sideways next to wall and press your shoulder to it, the seam and the end of your shoulder should be flush with the wall.

Chest is usually your chest circumference + 2 or 3 inches.

Length for a regular height person should be around 29 to 30.5 inches.

Waist is easy. Rise and leg opening are personal preference.

Last edited:

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the shoulders, find a jacket with medium padding. It fits well in the shoulders if the shoulder seams are located where your natural shoulder terminate. If you stand sideways next to wall and press your shoulder to it, the seam and the end of your shoulder should be flush with the wall.
Chest is usually your chest circumference + 2 or 3 inches.
Length for a regular height person should be around 29 to 30.5 inches.
Waist is easy. Rise and leg opening are personal preference.

For the shoulders, are you measuring the shoulders on a well-fitting jacket or your actual shoulders? Same question for the leg openings, rise and waist. I appreciate your help with this.

Edit: I'm asking about the waist portion of the jacket, not pants.

Last edited:

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Okay, this is a point I've been curious about for awhile.  Even if you know your precise measurements, how can you be sure about how the suit will fit without trying it on first.  My measurements would tell me to buy a 42L in a Hickey Freeman, but experience tells me that it is too boxy and does not look good on me.  Same with a BB Madison cut.  Yet, I know from experience that a 42L in the Regent or 43L in the Fitzgerald fit me much better.  Short of going store to store to try on all the brands, is there some other trick to knowing how a certain line of suits will fit?

your concerns are legitimate and well justified

you can get two suits with the same measurements... and they can still somehow fit differently
also you can't tell what the suit FEELS like on you and to the touch
and being able to inspect it for odd lumps and wrinkles in the back or shoulders

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gilt has a two pinstripe BF suits for $329 at Sunday night steals, from 2008 or 2009

ethan

Reaction score

Four reasons to buy the suit:

1. You will not do better buying from BB. BB just raised prices on 1818 suits by $100, so this model retails for $1,098 now.
Wow... That sucks. I think I'm going to find somewhere else to shop now. It seems like BB raises their price every now and then. Soon their sales don't even worth it any more.

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wow... That sucks. I think I'm going to find somewhere else to shop now. It seems like BB raises their price every now and then. Soon their sales don't even worth it any more.

everyone raises their prices ... soon you will have nowhere to shop at

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member