• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's wrong with black?

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Adding that patch would improve most black suits.
rimshot.gif

0b5cur1ty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No matter how much time I spend on this forum, and it's too much, I will never understand the prevalent, passionate hatred for the black suit (and, to a slightly lesser extent, black itself). Nor will I ever understand why, given this received sf wisdom that black suits are 'wrong', you can post one repeatedly in WAYWRN and get only compliments.

One more observation: One of the more plausible arguments against black for daywear is that it looks dull in daylight - yet nowadays, pretty much all suit wearers spend their whole day in offices with artificial lighting, under which (according to the same argument) black looks good.

Go figure.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mkarim
Are midnight blue pants versatile or are they too close to black?

i think i would opt for something like brown or charcoal instead. I personally prefer lighter color pants because they go well with dark pattern jackets and navy.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Adding that patch would improve most black suits.
rimshot.gif

I just realized that I sported about six of those on my Lee Jeans jacket back in the day. Still curse my old gam for tossing that piece of history.

lefty

yawn123_#21

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 0b5cur1ty
No matter how much time I spend on this forum, and it's too much, I will never understand the prevalent, passionate hatred for the black suit (and, to a slightly lesser extent, black itself). Nor will I ever understand why, given this received sf wisdom that black suits are 'wrong', you can post one repeatedly in WAYWRN and get only compliments.

One more observation: One of the more plausible arguments against black for daywear is that it looks dull in daylight - yet nowadays, pretty much all suit wearers spend their whole day in offices with artificial lighting, under which (according to the same argument) black looks good.

Go figure.

i rather wear a charcoal or navy myself, yet i alternate black suits in, and blacks with pinstripe. I think it's just because the average person wears black, and "lesser jobs" like security etc. and an over-fanaticism to be different. you can learn alot about style and dress ettiquette on the forum overall. but at the same time take advice with a grain of salt ie childish avatars, childish remarks ie pics!! everytime the word boob, or girl is mentioned even if they are stated to be underage. I'd rather commit a fashion mistake, than an unforgivable social faux-pas.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a black suit. It is cheap. However, it fits well. I have used it 2 times: once for my friend's wedding where he insisted the wedding party wear black suits (it's his wedding, I'm not gonna print out a thread from SF and say he's wrong), and once for a movie shoot where I was an extra, and they asked everyone to wear a black suit.

Degendorff

Reaction score
Black suits became popular after WWI, at least in Germany, because men, who weren't able anymore to buy a dinner jacket (not to mention a tailcoat) or a morning coat, bought a black suit. In the daytime they combined it with morning trousers (and wore it as a stroller), if necessary and in the evening they wore the black suit with vest and a dark bow tie as a substitute for the dinner jacket.

So the black suit was a compromise and compomises are seldom stylish. Anyhow, vox sartorias black suit looks very nice.

Best regards

Degendorff

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Go figure.

The inertia of tradition; of course defined by those who espouse it.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
everytime I think to myself "ok, today's the day to wear black trousers" my shoulders slouch and I invariably grab any other pair of pants that are next to them, be it gray charcoal or navy.

Maybe I'm not experienced enough to make it work, but I just can't make it work knowing what I know (from SF) and seeing what I see on the street.

manouche

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jyook
I know the general consensus here at SF is against the black suit but why?

Personally, I've seen some great patterns and color schemes while shopping for some new clothes (For example, navy with very light blue stripes or a cool looking navy with purple stripes as well as a charcoal with brown and subtle orange)... But I would tend to think that black would be the most versatile suit for formal occasions and events...

You could wear it to a funeral with a solid black tie or you could be more festive just by changing the shirt or tie at other formal events... If I had to choose just ONE NICE suit (bespoke or otherwise) with some real nice fabric, it would be a black suit with some subtle weave pattern (herringbone)... Why is that so wrong?

I've used the search function and couldn't find a good explanation...

I'm looking at this from a practical standpoint but please fire away...

May be because you can not see hpw the fabric is made ?

js4design

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i went to an architecture school where it was actually the exact opposite. black was the color of the brooding, creative designer, and anyone dressing with too much color was suspected as not being serious enough. actually, its a silly look but the idea most people had (i think) was that if i wear all black, anything i have goes with everything else, so i look like i spend so much time thinking about architecture that i cant be bothered to think about matching clothes together. much less spending time posting on styleforum
blush.gif

0b5cur1ty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by js4design
i went to an architecture school where it was actually the exact opposite. black was the color of the brooding, creative designer, and anyone dressing with too much color was suspected as not being serious enough. actually, its a silly look but the idea most people had (i think) was that if i wear all black, anything i have goes with everything else, so i look like i spend so much time thinking about architecture that i cant be bothered to think about matching clothes together. much less spending time posting on styleforum
blush.gif

Proof positive that architects are more rational than sf-ers?
wink.gif

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
i think i would opt for something like brown or charcoal instead. I personally prefer lighter color pants because they go well with dark pattern jackets and navy.

True, but darker pants would go better with lighter shirts...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads