• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's the optimum amount of exercise for healthy living?

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
That's what I'm asking. Why is strength + cardio preferable to cardio + cardio?

I think the issue of insulin resistance is a major factor here. The idea is that strength training builds muscle. Muscle being metabolically active tissue "consumes" extra glucose and helps to reduce body fat leading to greater sensitivity to insulin in our cells.

We know that heart disease due to uncontrolled blood sugar levels is the leading cause of premature death and morbidity in diabetics.

Of course, as stated before, variety in physical activity (aerobic, strength and flexibility) coupled with a low saturated fat and high fiber diet will go a long way in keeping your ticker strong and healthy.

I'm also a big believer in having positive relationships, reducing stress and laughing loud and often lead to quality and quantity of life!
lol8[1].gif

adversity04

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
That's what I'm asking. Why is strength + cardio preferable to cardio + cardio?

From a practical but exaggerated standpoint. I'm glad you can go for X minutes on a treadmill/bike/elliptical because all you do is cardio, but get to laugh when you hurt your back picking up a child. Functional strength is essential for every day living.

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
That part of his post wasn't really that bad, the rest, especially is almost criminally negligent to post as well as WRONG WRONG WRONG

Did dusty give us any background on his age, height, weight, and curent physical condition? No. I got the impression he was happy with his overall health but just worried about whether his lifestyle had a negative impact on heart health.

There are plenty of guys who are averse to the whole gym scene, especially if their time is better spent on priorities like family or community activities. If they walk 1-2 miles a day and use their body for productive activities (like a job with physical activity) then the gym is pointless.

Don't assume every guy on this forum is a 20- to 40-something "professional" (desk job) with 2-3 hours of time to kill each day obsessing over his body.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
yeah, I got your point Greg. My old boss way-back-when was a middle aged lady with a very sedentary lifestyle whose (successful) weight loss program began with simply taking the stairs and getting on and off the bus one stop down the road and walking. I also happen to know that Dusty isnt a middle aged woman though
smile.gif
Dusty - I use and recommend the Mattplan. Join a boxing gym and do a bunch of burpees. 3 hours a week. Solved.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Matt - I can program you a macro that will reply "take a boxing class" to every body consciousness thread if you need
boxing[1].gif

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by greg_atlanta
Did dusty give us any background on his age, height, weight, and curent physical condition? No. I got the impression he was happy with his overall health but just worried about whether his lifestyle had a negative impact on heart health.

There are plenty of guys who are averse to the whole gym scene, especially if their time is better spent on priorities like family or community activities. If they walk 1-2 miles a day and use their body for productive activities (like a job with physical activity) then the gym is pointless.

Don't assume every guy on this forum is a 20- to 40-something "professional" (desk job) with 2-3 hours of time to kill each day obsessing over his body.

You don't have to go to a gym to exercise, you can stay active by biking, hiking, mountaineering, running races, doing triathlons, boxing(!), whatever. But you do need to stay active and not just settle for "I'm more fit than x other guys my age!" if you want to enjoy your later years.

kakemono

Reaction score
Just a question: How long have poeple "worked out." I would think that the only reason poeple started working out in the first place is because thier everyday activities couldnt keep a healthy body. There was a time when people never worked out to kept a healthy body.

A lot of mechanics, farmers, and factory workers are very strong and healthy people... and they never work out.

My dad is 50 and has never worked out, but he is in perfect health. Lean body, ridiculously huge arms - and he will come home from work and eat an entire cake if one is sitting on the counter. Why? He works a dead-end job in a steel factory lifting steel all day, then he spent 20 years of his life after work and every weekend at the soccer fields with me and my brother and sister.

Working out is important for office jobs and those sitting at a computer all day, but I doubt any farmer really needs to go lift weights and run for 20 minutes to keep a healthy body.

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kakemono
Just a question: How long have poeple "worked out." I would think that the only reason poeple started working out in the first place is because thier everyday activities couldnt keep a healthy body. There was a time when people never worked out to kept a healthy body.

A lot of mechanics, farmers, and factory workers are very strong and healthy people... and they never work out.

My dad is 50 and has never worked out, but he is in perfect health. Lean body, ridiculously huge arms - and he will come home from work and eat an entire cake if one is sitting on the counter. Why? He works a dead-end job in a steel factory lifting steel all day, then he spent 20 years of his life after work and every weekend at the soccer fields with me and my brother and sister.

Working out is important for office jobs and those sitting at a computer all day, but I doubt any farmer really needs to go lift weights and run for 20 minutes to keep a healthy body.

I've been working out with resistance for 11 years. I didn't do it because I couldn't keep a healthy body but because I wanted to shape the direction my body was going in. I wanted more muscle, less fat and a healthy body. I played lots of sports during those years. You don't work out because you feel your body isn't healthy, some people just enjoy working out.

If your father works lifting steel, I would consider that "working out".

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads