• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's the big deal with Trader Joe's?

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like Trader Joe's because it feels like a cross between a discount food store and a gourmet food store. To some extent, you can get the types of items that are carried at Whole Foods (and not at mainstream grocery stores) for quite a bit less money. I wouldn't want to rely on TJs as my only grocery option, but it is definitely useful for buying certain things without breaking the bank.

Asch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The advantages of Trader Joe's are that it's much cheaper than most grocery stores, it doesn't do a lot of discounts or "club cards" or other obnoxious sales tactics, the selection of items is manageable (there aren't 20 goddamn brands of peanut butter), and some of their staples (e.g., nuts, dairy) are very good. The biggest disadvantage is that the produce mostly sucks.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HORNS
I heard something similar to this only yesterday - except the person saying it was a deinstitutionalized bum sitting on a park bench.

laugh.gif

JBG

Reaction score
Lot's of hype for TJ's here in the town of their corporate hq.

We typically keep a number of their prepackaged frozen items on hand (the meatballs are good, so is the orange chicken) that can be put in the oven or on the stove quickly when there is just no time or inclination for "real" cooking. Wine selection can be surprisingly good at times, but I have never gotten into the 2 buck chuck thing - a rant for another thread...

We get our produce and most other staple items elsewhere...

ed1066

Reaction score
TJ's in California also sell liquor and sometimes their prices are better than BevMo. They also get some unique brand liquors that are sometimes good which I have not found elsewhere, such as the Islay single malt they sell called Finlaggen...

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
love my trader joe's lot of stuff i buy,i buy from here as it is more sensibly priced and closer to home. eggs, milk, staples like those, are usually cheaper.

lot of great grain cereals and so forth that are not found in other stores.

it is the only place i know of that actually carries 100% cranberry juice. (not cranberry juice with only 30% juice 70% corn syrup, or , 100% juice cocktail but with 80% of it apple /grape)

the only strange thing about the place it gathers alot of weird women. most are like into fitness or something nature-related or whatever but they go about their 'vegan' ways or organic pursuit or whatever political thing at that point in their life. and they act a little weird too.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by adambparker
Living in the Twin Cities, you're lucky on the co-op front. Not too many cities (outside of CA and places like Madison) that have the number of quality co-ops that Minneapolis-St. Paul does.

Yup-

we're ground zero. Three new co-ops in development currently... can't swing a bag of pachouli without hitting one.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
the only strange thing about the place it gathers alot of weird women. most are like into fitness or something nature-related or whatever but they go about their 'vegan' ways or organic pursuit or whatever political thing at that point in their life. and they act a little weird too.

this is actually historically accurate. When TJ opened, back in the late 1960s, it was known for wine and cheese (when hardly anyone else had them) and health foods (which hardly anyone else had, either). Very definitely an echt socal combination.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Worth it alone for the Trader Joe's Garden Patch Vegetable Juice. It's what V8 what supposed to be. Their Angus steaks are awesome too.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It is hard to imagine this much passion surrounding Trader Joe's. I don't shop there, because there are three or four shops within a mile or so of my house with much better meat and produce, and I don't eat a lot of premade foods. TJ's isn't bad, it just isn't what I am looking for.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wait- don't you live right in the middle of San Francisco?

That just might explain the availability of options, whereas those of us who live in the vast wastelands... we take what we can find.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by leftover_salmon
Their meat is pretty good, especially for the price...but Whole Foods is way better. Everything at TJ's is single-serving -- like an airplane-food supermarket.

I live alone...so thats a good thing sometimes. Their prices are also just so much better on some things that I like the occasional trip to TJ. Also, when they have mystery beer, I can't resist. It varies by store but mine does 12 beers in a stapled shut bag for $7.99. Last time I got a pretty good mix--only one canned beer, 4 goose islands, a pair of something that was like $10 for 4, some Mission St, and some other random stuff.

Originally Posted by adambparker
Living in the Twin Cities, you're lucky on the co-op front. Not too many cities (outside of CA and places like Madison) that have the number of quality co-ops that Minneapolis-St. Paul does.

Yeah, when I moved to chicago I figured the co-op in hyde park would be a good thing...like the co-ops back in the twin cities...oh how wrong I was. What an epic fail of the co-op idea (my dad and aunt have fond memories of it...so it can't always have been that bad). I'm so glad that **** is gone...I really liked the treasure island that moved in (combined with hyde park produce, I was pretty much set).

Now my grocery options kind of suck. I absolutely hate the jewel nearby...their high-low pricing strategy is a pain ********** and they use the clusterfuck system of organization (basically put random **** in random places and hope people buy more sale items as they walk around looking for stuff).
The Treasure Island nearby isn't so bad but it is a lot smaller than the one on the south side and just feels generally shittier...selection is lower quality too (gotta be the first time a north side grocery loses to the south side).
The Whole Foods is ok...I source a lot of my produce there but I can't handle the higher prices and limited selection on other things (I need my processed sugared cereals!).

Thus, I often go to the downtown TJ...it may not have everything and I don't want their produce...but I don't get pissed off just being in the store (and the whole foods is on my walk home from the train for produce)

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate Trader Joes. their food is cardboard crapola. Everything is cheap, but there's a reason its cheap, it sucks.

Whole Foods is where I go...good stuff.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member