• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What would you wear to go adventuring in the Scottish Highlands?

Reaction score
Okay, so I'm and going to Scotland for a week or two to explore all the castles and sights. It will be in September with weather between 40° to 60°F occasional wind and light rain. I won't be doing any walking through brush or climbing or cave dwelling so nothing that needs to be super durable but I am looking for some ideas that will be functional and fashionable. What type of shirts? Shoes? What type of jacket(s). Give me some ideas please, what would you wear if you were doing this?

Thanks

Edit: Oh and no jokes about wearing kilts or bagpipes please, I know that's coming, something a little more functional would be prefered :)

Last edited:

pravda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would wear layers. Nice safari or leather jacket with many pockets, cashmere sweater in a lime green or orange, suede Chelsea boots, moleskin slacks, slim-fitting Cuccinelli or Incotex and leather gloves and skull cap with silk or cashmere scarf and Prada sunglasses.

Reaction score

Reaction score
That's fine. But I was actually thiking more like this:

http://m.orvis.com/p/safari-tour-jacket/2gxy

Yea that's an idea, super adventurish.

Would you wear the cashmere sweaters with nothing underneath? What would you wear if you just wanted to wear some kind of shirt and no sweater? What type of shirts would you get? I think I might prefer to just wear a jacket over a shirt, I also have to prepare for it being too warm for a sweater.

I was thinking maybe flannel button down shirts? But i fell like there must be a better idea

Last edited:

pravda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would wear a nice cotton t shirt underneath, from the Gap or even Target. I also like chambray shirts and crisp white shirts in cotton from Banana Republic or H&M. Travelling overseas, I try to be comfortable and stylish and take mix and match pieces to limit excessive baggage

Believe it or not, I read an article in GQ praising the shirt line by Adam Levine at K Mart. Old Navy can also hold a gem or two.

I am not a fan of flannel unless I am truly going into an exclusively cold condition like a bon fire, carnival or safari. I hate to sweat so I like to layer and adjust based on my environment. When I went to Africa, I found having a jacket with many pockets advantageous. Especially pockets that zipped or buttoned. Tickets, passports, gloves, phones, sunglasses, breathmints, granola bar, chapstick, etc.

Last edited:

Reaction score
I would wear a nice cotton t shirt underneath, from the Gap or even Target. I also like chambray shirts and crisp white shirts in cotton from Banana Republic or H&M. Travelling overseas, I try to be comfortable and stylish and take mix and match pieces to limit excessive baggage

Believe it or not, I read an article in GQ praising the shirt line by Adam Levine at K Mart.

I am not a fan of flannel unless I am truly going into an exclusively cold condition like a bon fire, carnival or safari. I hate to sweat so I like to layer and adjust based on my environment. When I went to Africa, I found having a jacket with many pockets advantageous. Especially pockets that zipped or buttoned. Tickets, passports, gloves, phones, sunglasses, breathmints, granola bar, chapstick, etc.

You wouldn't wear a t-shirt as the outermost piece if you were not wearing the sweater though would you? Chambray, that is a good idea, it kind of has a rugged appeal. Another thought is twill button up shirts maybe?

pravda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably not, unless the climate is warmer. 40 degrees can be quite chilly for me, especially in the shade.

If you are partial to the shirts, check out the long sleeves t shirts that have
3 to four buttons up the chest. You can wear a fitted shirt under it for insulation and top it off with a jacket

Reaction score
Probably not, unless the climate is warmer. 40 degrees can be quite chilly for me, especially in the shade.

If you are partial to the shirts, check out the long sleeves t shirts that have
3 to four buttons up the chest. You can wear a fitted shirt under it for insulation and top it off with a jacket

You mean a henley? And I don't know, I just assumed it would look kind of weird or unfinished to wear a t-shirt or henley as an outermost piece. Maybe a thick thermal henley, that might look good

Last edited:

pravda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think a henley is fine. Just wear a more fitted t shirt or nylon under armour shirt underneath. Thermal would be good, just remember the sweat factor .

Last edited:

pravda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Check out EFV and Gerry Nelson on the WAYWN, Casual. Great layering examples.

Reaction score
My color coordination is terrible, can you give me some advice here on what I can change here to make it look decent? Haven't gotten the jacket in yet:

Also, I think my skin might be too pale to wear off white shirts

Maroon quarter zip from timberland over top the henley

matthewh

Reaction score
I've been to Europe twice. Once I spent time in southern England and another trip to France and surrounding countries. My first trip I only had a leather jacket and I was miserable. The climate was so damp and the leather was never comfortable. I ended up buying a waxed cloth coat while I was there. It was better but it always felt clammy to me.

The second trip I brought a long black wool (non-insulated) coat. It was perfect. Wool to me handles being in humid damp cold better and its harder for me to overheat when wearing it and walking.

One of my favorite jackets right now is a version of a CPO shirt. Its a single layer of navy wool. Its versatile and easy to layer with. To me, wool and tweeds are traditional to Scotland and its probably for a reason that has more to do with function than fashion. But then, I've never been there, its just my guess.

Also, I felt more comfortable when traveling in Europe wearing simple colors and basic designs. I preferred to blend in, rather than stand out as a 'Tourist'. Especially in France. I seemed to be treated better when people thought I belonged there. I also think I wore black Doc Martens as well (its been +25 years ago). Whatever shoes you wear need to be comfortable because you'll likely do a lot of walking.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads