• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What would you wear to buy a car?

EdenResident

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kmwrestle
right now with bad credit our buy rate is 21% you must of had a good relationship with the bank to get 8.5, or a cosigner., or better credit than you thought. The reason they focus on payments is 1. it allows us to make more money 2. most people are dumb. they have no concept what 20,000 is but know 400/mo. last month we had a customer look at a 22,000 car we discounted to 17,000 and she agreed. when she got to the finance office the max payment she could afford was 150/mo
True. That was 6 years ago when every Joe working at McDonald's could get a 400K mortgage. Still, the strategy is get a pre-approved loan and negotiate and price and the loan terms separately. Of course there's nothing wrong with making as much money as possible off of dumb people but a good salesman needs to know when he's dealing with a well-informed and educated customer and changes his game plan.

chuckseabreeze

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ohm
Maybe not, but we'll probably be curious to see the shoes you buy with the savings.
smile.gif

See, that's what I'm talking about. Or maybe even a watch. The Stowa Airman and Marine really look like they are in need of a nice home, and I'm feeling pretty charitable nowadays.
laugh.gif
P.S. 17 % ... Oh God. Cue funny picture response from someone. Sounds like she must not like money.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For the last few years, I've spent a huge amount of time on the web prior to ever stepping foot on a car lot. By the time I'm on the lot, the deal has essentially already been consumated over the phone and web. When I go to pick up the car, what I'm wearing doesn't matter.

chuckseabreeze

Reaction score
ama, edenresident, kmwrestle, and douglas amongst others - textbook advice.

What I'm curious is are there people that really don't do this? I mean, it seems like you really must be clueless to not get a decent deal on a car considering all the tools availible, and that even someone without good face to face negotiating skills should be able to score a fair price.

Maybe, I'm just being harsh - or spoiled with good info.

ACACRefugee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by EdenResident
- get a pre-approved loan from online banks such as Capital One etc.

- once you've agreed to the price and proceed to Finance, whip out your pre-approved loan and again ask them to beat it.

Good advice.

Another game they play when they offer to finance is to pad unwanted items into the loan. For example, they matched the bank's interest rate (or they'd loose the financing), but then proceeded to offer four loan plans on a fanfold sheet. Plan 4 embedded all sorts of overt garbage. Plan 1 was purported to be the minimum package, yet careful examination showed padding as the math didn't work out. I told the finance guy I'd opt for Plan 0, financing only.

^ It's also wise to bring along a financial calculator to ferret this out.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chuckseabreeze
ama, edenresident, kmwrestle, and douglas amongst others - textbook advice. What I'm curious is are there people that really don't do this? I mean, it seems like you really must be clueless to not get a decent deal on a car considering all the tools availible, and that even someone without good face to face negotiating skills should be able to score a fair price. Maybe, I'm just being harsh - or spoiled with good info.
I know several people who don't do research and prepare financing prior to a car purchase. They boast about getting good deals, when if fact, they were screwed.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I used the research/fax/last week of the last month of the year/my own financing and it worked like a charm. On my way to pick the car up at the dealer I picked I had other dealers calling me and dropping their price.

lefty

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're any good at bargaining, what you wear will be irrelevant because the price you get will be based on what you're WILLING to pay, not what the salesman thinks you can AFFORD to pay.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I shop for cars wearing a thong, a simple black bowtie, and white shirtcuffs. Oh, and sand colored Birkenstocks. One must never underdress when one has business at the car lot.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dress like I just came off a construction site. I might look like hell but the salesman should be able to get the hint that I'm not a poor boy. Then again a wad of hundred dollar bills gets their attention too. As with any business deal it's all about negotiating and getting your terms and not theirs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 37.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads