• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to do when pants waist is either too big or too small?

whipcord

Reaction score
I ordered a pair of pants online that I really like. The waist is like 1" too small. I ordered the next size up. They're too big by 1". This is maddening because I own a pair of the same pants, different color in the smaller waist size and they fit perfect. I can belt the larger pair, but the problem is that the seat, thighs and lower legs are all 1" wider, so the smaller pair looks better aside from the tight waist. Would you just give up and send both pairs back? I really like the material and color, but the fit isn't perfect. Would you take a casual pair of pants to a tailor?

MattyS

Reaction score
Why not take them to the tailor? If the smaller pair has enough of a fabric reserve, then it's a relatively minor alteration just to let out the waist a bit.

Casaubon

Reaction score
I take my casual chino pants to be taken in by 1-2'' by a tailor (or rather, seamstress) regularly. Perhaps it's just my weird body, but I'm surprised you haven't run into such a problem by now, as for me it's been a reality since always. If there is not enough fabric reserve, have the waist on the larger pair taken in (if needed, also the thighs, the seat etc).

jc8715

Reaction score
I take my casual chino pants to be taken in by 1-2'' by a tailor (or rather, seamstress) regularly. Perhaps it's just my weird body, but I'm surprised you haven't run into such a problem by now, as for me it's been a reality since always. If there is not enough fabric reserve, have the waist on the larger pair taken in (if needed, also the thighs, the seat etc).

How is this done with casual pants? They don't have the split in the waist so they just cut thru at the back? Or what does this look like?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
High-quality trousers can be let out one size at the waist, which means two inches. Nearly any pair of pants, tailored or otherwise, can be taken in two inches without distorting proportions. As you go up, you may find that other proportions on the pants don't fit as well, so it's not always as easy as sizing up.

If you have a prominent seat and size up, you may need to add darts. Can be done on casual pants, as well. Like so:

whipcord

Reaction score
How is this done with casual pants? They don't have the split in the waist so they just cut thru at the back? Or what does this look like?

This was kind of my question as well. There is no split in the rear, so I don't think these corduroy pants can be "let out," or at least I don't understand what method could be used to achieve such thing.

I can actually fit into the pants, it's just they are too snug and feel tight on my hip bone. Maybe they would stretch out as I wore them, but not sure I want to try that. It's just unfortunate that the larger pair is so much bigger in the seat, thighs, etc. They are too "clown pants" like right now.

whipcord

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies. I have decided to keep the smaller pair. I tried them on again this morning and they will work. It's not like I have to struggle to close the button or anything, they are just a snug fit in the waist to where I wouldn't need a belt. The seat and thighs are plenty loose. I prefer things a bit on the loose side, but the larger ones are gigantic - clown pants like I said. It's not worth the price trying to get those tailored to my body.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics