• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The French Connection Directed by William Friedkin, staring Gene Hackman and Roy Scheider as the New York D’s. With Tony Lo Bianco as the lead wise guy and Frog One Fernando Rey.

Won three Oscars for Best Picture, Best Actor Gene Hackman and Best Director. Plus a couple of Golden Globes and BAFTAS.

Exccellent entertainment.

“And I’m gonna nail you for picking your feet in Poughkeepsie”

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
upload_2018-12-16_10-43-26.jpeg

#52 THE WIZARD (1989)

Straight out of 1989, this one has a little bit for everyone — and by everyone, I mean fans of skateboarding, Nintendo, and indie rock. Fred Savage plays Fred Savage, a rambunctious boy who breaks his autistic brother out of an evil facility in order to skateboard cross-country to compete in the Nintendo Olympics. Along the way they meet young indie rock darling Jenny Lewis, whose wise ways and grifter spirit come in handy when avoiding pesky adults. The film is basically a long commercial for Nintendo and Vision Street Wear, annoying at the time, but welcome through the lens of nostalgia. Peep those screen caps below for some righteous period duds and — whoah! — a mulleted Toby Macguire.

Early Me: 4 Current Me: 6

9A0BF397-83D6-414B-A835-BEC3CE61F0AB.png

6862F21C-C47B-4659-99D8-5E04612D028B.png

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ready Player One. I really had no interest ever watching this but was pleasantly surprised. Amusingly campy throughout.

Lighthouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mowgli on Netflix. A very well made movie, but the treatment of one character has traumatized me. It is Bambi'esque sadness.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
k-rbe13_orig.jpg

Welles does noir. Score a bit overbearing at times, but overall worth a watch, with some nice long takes. The scenes Welles wanted to include, but wasn't allowed, sound like they would've been interesting.

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
tommy.jpg

The movie starts out crazy and keeps getting more and more crazy with every scene. Definite plus is a great music with cameos from Tina Turner, Elton John and Eric Clapton. Ending is a little disjointed compared with rest of the movie; build up was better than actual conclusion imo, but still very much worth the watch.

livingdaylights.jpg

First time watching of first Timothy Dalton Bond. I am pleasantly surprised. The movie overall was solid, had some good scenes. Dalton was great, he managed to crack not always funny jokes like previous Bonds and at the same time he was affected by what was happening around him; he was nervous, annoyed etc - but always kept calm and collected under pressure. Perhaps the most 'human' portrayal of Bond.

outland.jpg

Good and quite unknown scf-fi flick. Esthetics and world created very similar to those of Alien(s). Not a masterpiece but a solid movie.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I very much like Outland (High Noon in space) - and on my last viewing though the same thing, that it totally looks like it could take place in the same universe as the '79 Alien.

Edit: just found my last post on it, from 4 years ago. Over here.

Last edited:

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I very much like Outland (High Noon in space) - and on my last viewing though the same thing, that it totally looks like it could take place in the same universe as the '79 Alien.

Edit: just found my last post on it, from 4 years ago. Over here.

Interesting we picked up on the very same thing:)

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
upload_2018-12-23_14-0-39.jpeg

STOKED: THE RISE AND FALL OF GATOR (2004)

In the 1980s, skate culture was California’s chief export, and its disciples were obsessed with issues of fame and authenticity, burnished men jockeying for position in an ever-shifting world. But out in the suburbs, things took a lighter tone, where zillions of kids were perfectly happy slapping on some bright colors, failing to master the ollie, and grinding on a board with the raddest graphic they could find. For many, that board was the Vision Gator. It’s swirling fractal became an instant icon. Whether you rode it well was beside the point — it looked just as amazing propped against your bed as it did soaring over the precipice of some magazine.

26238828-1F67-429D-B75F-8CF0EF3BE604.jpeg

Stoked is the story of the man behind the board, Mark ‘Gator’ Rogowski. His tale — that of a young man unprepared for wealth and fame — is common, though the trajectory is grislier than most, ending in murder. Unfortunately, the film misses several opportunities, glossing over Rogowski’s obvious mental illness, and looking instead toward his penchant for the limelight and self-promotion to explain his tragic end. Gator’s fatal flaw, the director seems to believe, is that he was a poser. This, too, is a minor tragedy. What could have been a great film (say, in the hands of Stacey Peralta) is ultimately buried in its own unseen ironies.

(Film is available on YouTube...)

Last edited:

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Much better movie than Love Actually.

I just finished watching Die Hard and Die Hard 2, myself. Hadn't seen the second one inn a while. It's a bit dated, with its War On Drugs storyline, but still a solid action/Christmas movie.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads