• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I was not aware there was a PC cut. Did it have to do with the July 4th bit?

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nope. Sounds like you have the PC version.

Lincoln's Birthday:

"When black folks lived in slavery, who was it set the ****** free?"

Here's a video.

I think they cut this from basically every release now.

Last edited:

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The advance trailers for this reminded me of the existence of the anime, so recently I watched the first two movies. Both were worth seeing, but the first in particular was brilliant.

As for this one, it started out well enough with some great visuals, but as it went on, the (inevitable, I guess) dumbing down of the source material and the greater focus on the Major character at the cost of the bigger ideas, made it more and more dull. When it finished it felt like it had been way over two hours (it's about 1h 45mins). I'm still glad enough to have caught it at the cinema, to get the most out of the spectacular cinematics - but it isn't engaging enough that I would want to watch it again on a small screen.

And it was sad to hear that they didn't use this piece from the original during the film (a slightly different version is played over the end credits), as it was a big part of the mood of the first one.

Actually, after coming home I rewatched the original '95 anime. Infinitely better. And as good as some of the CGI and visuals of the new movie is, nothing in it is as beautiful as the montage of the city where the rain starts to fall half way through, set to the music linked above.

dotcomzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Written and directed by Jim Jarmusch. Featuring Tilda Swinton, of stuff I know I've seen but can't place at the moment. And Tom Hiddleston, of Loki from the Marvel adventures. Also John Hurt. They play vampires. Wry and deadpan vampires. And we get early on they've been alive for a while. Which I forgot this fact about vampires, but the dialogue is full of references to, as in, "Remember when you gave that string quartet to Schubert?"

They don't hunt down humans for blood, but rely on connections for "the good stuff" (apparently 0 negative is the primo ****). He's a reclusive musician, and she's his lover. It takes place mostly in Detroit. The music is on point. The pacing is very Jarmusch. Think Broken Flowers and Dead Man.

Makes for good late night viewing.

Last edited:

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sunday afternoon mindless no thinking required B grade popcorn movie. Good ensemble cast however the late Bill Paxton steals the show with. "and the Doctor says to me I need a urine, stool and ***** sample. So I say hey doc I'm in a hurry can I just leave my underpants." Good simple mindless fun and after the Alien V Predator series I read its making a comeback with Predator 4 in 2018. I can hardly wait.

Last edited:

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Documentary based on Truffaut's week long interview of Hitchcock in '62 (which itself led to Truffaut's Hitchcock/Truffaut book from '66). As such, it mostly deals with Hitchcock - and with Vertigo and Psycho in particular. Includes commentary from the guys on the poster. A real pleasure.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Poor Henry Fonda gets dragged through a Kafkaesque ordeal. Inspired by a true story, as Hitchcock himself explains at the start and the credit reminds us at the end. Appropriately bleak with great acting and camera work.

Last edited:

dotcomzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

An American historical period drama set in the 1850s Midwest. Hilary Swank plays a spinster living in the Nebraska Territory. She teams up with a lowlife wanderer played by Tommy Lee Jones to take three women who have gone batty to Iowa, where who knows what happens to them. It's okay, nothing special.

Charlie Kaufman's directorial debut. To give you an idea of what you're in for, he wrote Being John Malkovich, Adaptation, and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, among others.

Stars Philip Seymour Hoffman as a playwright who wins a MacArthur Fellowship. Beyond that there's so many motifs and themes, from Jungian psychology to burning houses and miniature paintings. Oh and warehouses within warehouses. Plays within plays. All very postmodern and bizarre. But at the end of the day it's probably just about death and decay. I liked it, and probably need to watch again.

Last edited:

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Had freebies for this last night. Entertaining and insightful film about a historical, ideological and ethical court case about the veracity of the work of David Irving (Timothy Spall) and the libel case he bought against academic Debora Lipstadt (Rachel Weisz) Tom Wilkinson and Andrew Scott play the principal beaks.

Irving has been getting some publicity of late and is still resolute that his work is correct and that he was set up as he lost the court case and had to pay over two million in costs. Total Richard Cranium if you ask me.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
London Banker