• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

how many times has Woody Allen made the same film? i liked Crimes and Misdemeanors, hated Match Point. 

I think they are structured differently, I love both. I'd take Match Point over the other though since the stronger emotional impact it had one me.

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I love kubrick, was not dissapointed. It made me think a lot in terms of how much the bulk of the plot was just an allegory.
idk if that makes any sense, what you guys think?
Basically at the end he admits to infidelity(while in the beginning she admits to psychological infidelity) and the hole plot between the fight and the confession is an allegorical journey exploring sexuality and morality- did not happen literally, in the end they decide to stay together and while he had his moment of seeing the dirty imperfect reality he chooses to comeback to his fantasy and says "forever" so he is going back to his perfect illusion perhaps?- while his wife stays 'redpilled'

Last edited:

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think that's right. It's based on a short novel by...A. Schnitlzer(?) I think? -- and that was the deal with that one. Good book, too.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Moonlight was very good. So much better than Boyhood crap.

I wish Doctor Strange was longer, good music score and Cumberbatch and Swinton were great. The ending was smart and fitted perfectly I thought.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
# 93

Platoon (1989)

Tom Berenger plays a mild-mannered staff sargent whose world is thrown in disarray with the arrival of some pacifists and goddamned panty-waists ill-equipped for the realities of a protracted land war. Character is fate, and the initial mercies he bestows upon them ultimately lead to tragedy. Nice scenery, realistic violence, and a star-making turn by Johnny Depp. B-.

Last edited:

DeSense

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ You got Willem Dafoe mixed up with Tom Berenger.
(And possibly Sheen with Depp but I'm vague on that one.)

Last edited:

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No

dotcomzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Signature Judd Apatow, take that for what you will. Seth Rogan plays a stoner who knocks up woman way out of his league, played by Katherine Heigl. The plot is fairly linear, and to be honest the only parts I really enjoyed were Seth and friends clowning around.

Last edited:

Roy Al

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Moonlight - Barry Jenkins (2016)

A 3-piece movie about how to grow up and lacking male models and how to find it difficult to accept his homosexuality.

A bit disappointed with this one. Too much hype.
The gay issue is outdated, and the movie lacks quite a bit to tell us anything about identity and how we become us. I also think the movie has too little emotional nerve. Good sound and music - clever done.

rossoz

Reaction score
Alan Hale Sr and Jr.

Robin Hood's Little John and Gilligan Island's Captain.

When you see them at similar ages it is striking.

Cheers

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just finished Into the Wild. Having been through Jon Krakauer's source book once or twice, i feel pretty confident that Sean Penn's adaptation (equal parts passion play and levi's commercial) is easily the superior telling of Christopher McCandless' story (while I think Krakauer has a great nose for a story, his books are fatally flawed albeit gripping). For example the decisive elevation of McCandless' sister from an interview subject to co-narrator is - imo - a brilliant stroke.

what else to say? Penn is a capable filmmaker. i'd recommend as a breath of fresh air from the usual hollywood fare and the rare biopic that actually plumbs human motivations (and consequences).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 37.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads