• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Who doesn't think highly of Michael Douglas? :confused:

thought this was great. i dont get to watch many 80s films or anything with douglas or close but they were fantastic in this. made me think a little more highly of them both as actors

Huh? I thought of them as one of the best Murikan actors, but what do I know.
This was fantastic work by G. Close, she should have won.

Last edited:

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm 28 so nothin in the past 10 years has peaked my interest (candelabra was the only thing or considered). And I've been hesitant to watch their earlier work as I have an aversion for late 80s - late 90s movies too. I'll have to go back and watch more of these 2 because I feel like I turned a new leaf, I'm ready to appreciate their work. I recall Albert nobbs but now I will go watch it

Last edited:

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about mid 80s? Have you seen "BRAZIL" ?

Douglas was so good in Candelabra.

Last edited:

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Naw I've had Brazil in the queue for years ever since I think you and lefty were talking about it

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a theory: Watch old , recommended movies before you watch new ones, listen to old recommended music before you listen to new one. My theory is , there was plenty of drek made in the past in art, movies and music however after many decades only good stuff is remembered and thus it appears that all **** was better 30-40 years ago...it wasn't , it just drek does not survive the test of time.
By exposing yourself to the best of the past you develop a taste for quality in any genre and subsequently save yourself significant time and aggravation by NOT exposing yourself to current drek. Skip to the good stuff, life is short.
Does that makes sense?

P.S. Watch "Fists in the pocket" it will blow your socks off. Vintage Glen Close: "Dangerous Liaisons"-superb with young Uma Turman and John Malkovich.

Last edited:

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Michael Douglas is awesome. Check out The Game by Fincher.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Michael Douglas is awesome. Check out The Game by Fincher.

Big +1.

And The China Syndrome from '79 (which he also produced, just like he did One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest).

And while Ridley Scott's '89 Black Rain didn't get the best reviews, I rather like that too.

sPaqkQe.jpg

Had a chance to show this to my gf who hadn't seen it and didn't know anything about it. Was pleased to see her suspect who Keyser Söze was around the same time I did, in the cinema those 20 years ago. Probably Singer's best film. 4/5

Last edited:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'm 28 so nothin in the past 10 years has peaked my interest (candelabra was the only thing or considered). And I've been hesitant to watch their earlier work as I have an aversion for late 80s - late 90s movies too. I'll have to go back and watch more of these 2 because I feel like I turned a new leaf, I'm ready to appreciate their work. I recall Albert nobbs but now I will go watch it

If you are just seeing Fatal Attraction, you may not have seen this:

OmniscientCause

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

if ever a movie needed to be imax...this....

I know. I may need to look into that for the dc area...i moved here in aug and saw interstellar 3 times in imax, but that was at the air and space smithsonian.

Im super anti 3d though, its difficult finding the combo of standard and imax these days

Last edited:

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
399146.jpg

Dug out the dvd of this (which reminds me I should probably pick up Eastern Promises too). My favourite of the three Cronenberg/Mortensen films. 5/5

And rather looking forward to Fury Road tomorrow.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Finally watched Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. I'm really liking these reboot POTA movies. Rise and Dawn have been pretty spectacular. I hope they keep it up.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saw Mad Max. Was pretty awesome. Stylistically, was superb. And I agree that Max was second fiddle to what'-her-muff.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads