• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I just watched Gravity.  Must say that I was not thrilled with it.  I would not recommend it to others as others have recommended it to me.

That's really one that needed to be seen in IMAX 3D. Visually it was amazing.

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My oscar rundown.

American Hustle - The critical consensus on this one is baffling. It felt like an amateur effort, as if the people involved were asked to do their best impression of a good movie. JL was the bright spot. The whole Bradley Cooper as anything other than a bit actor needs to end as soon as possible.

Captain Phillips - This was basically a remake of that movie where Hanks was talking to a soccer ball on an island, except with pirates. At least that's my understanding, not having seen the movie. Because who the **** would want to go and see this movie?

Dallas Buyers Club - Matthew Mcconaughey play exactly the same role he's always played, but since he's a gay, here comes an Oscar. Decent little flick, though.

Gravity - Great SFX, but no reason to care about these 2 characters.

Her - Best movie I've seen this year by a wide margin. The actors are spot on, the script and flow are tight, but what I really is that it dared to have a vision about the future and start imagining the emotional aspects of it. That's a very rare thing in cinema, for the sci-fi component to be more than a prop in front of which the protagonists confront traditional problems.

20 Years A Slave - Very slick and we'll done. And the chick is going to be a star. But thinking about this movie next to Her, could it be any safer?

The Wolf of Wall Street - I'm still trying to figure out what this one had to do with wall street, other than their crimes involved stocks. I was very close to boredom watching this, which is shocking for a Scorsese film. Fun to watch in parts, but this can't be best picture material.

August Osage County - Pure camp.

Inside Llwen Davis - Unlike American Hustle I can at least understand why this one got rave reviews. The protagonist is a misanthropic twat who greatly over estimates his own talent and value to society, and so the critics immediately identified with him.

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Dallas Buyers Club - Matthew Mcconaughey play exactly the same role he's always played, but since he's a gay, here comes an Oscar. Decent little flick, though.

... Ron Woodroof was straight.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im trying to think of anything that sounds more pompous than movie critiques. ah yes, i have it, movie critiques on movies that one has not even seen.

excuse me, ima go scream into a pillow now.

OmniscientCause

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Did you see the movie? He had aids.

From Wiki

Ron Woodroof (Matthew McConaughey)—a homophobic electrician and rodeo cowboy—is diagnosed with AIDS and given 30 days to live.

dont know how you can be gay and homophobic...talk about self loathing.

As for TWOWS...if you watched the movie, you'd know it was a nick name they gave him...also not sure how you found this boring

Last edited:

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

From Wiki

Ron Woodroof (Matthew McConaughey)—a homophobic electrician and rodeo cowboy—is diagnosed with AIDS and given 30 days to live.

dont know how you can be gay and homophobic...talk about self loathing.

As for TWOWS...if you watched the movie, you'd know it was a nick name they gave him...also not sure how you found this boring

According to a lot of the people who knew him, he wasn't completely averse to ********** with men.

ballmouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's alright. It reminds me a lot of the other 1940s cop films (Pickup on South Street, The Naked City, He Walked by Night). I didn't find anything particularly amazing about it though.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stray Dog is a better than average low budget 40s cop movie, but its not really what you would hope for in a Kurosawa.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Other than watching SJ(playing a Jersey chick)...this movie didn't do anything!

OmniscientCause

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

According to a lot of the people who knew him, he wasn't completely averse to ********** with men.

I havent seen it yet so I cant really comment one way or another. Ive had it on my comp for awhile just havent sat down to watch it.

I have a few I want to see but couldnt find any copies online yet: The double/the zero theorem/kill your darlings (i was able to find this)/locke

Also have been meaning to watch talented mr ripley...since PSH died, but also havent gotten around to it.

As long as AH doesnt win tonight I will be happy.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads