• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

imschatz

Reaction score

Damn. I wonder what your reaction would be to a movie like the avengers. :D

I know you don't watch comic book movies
Seeing this post .. I decided to download and watch the Avengers.

Thought it was pretty entertaining. Definitely a cookie-cutter Marvel / Super Hero movie .. so absolutely nothing special about it. Which, makes it hard to hate.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am currently doing a Vietnam War movie festival over here:
  • The Deer Hunter
  • Apocalypse Now Redeux
  • Hearts Of Darkness- A Filmmakers Apocalypse (Making Of Apocalypse Now)
  • Hamburger Hill
  • Platoon
  • Hanoi Hilton
  • Full Metal Jacket
  • Casualties Of War
  • Born On The Fourth Of July
  • Heaven And Earth
  • My Lai Four

If anyone has any decent recommendations beyond this list, please let me know, thank you.
There are 2 documentary series that I have listed in the Documentaries thread as well.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am currently doing a Vietnam War movie festival over here:
  • The Deer Hunter
  • Apocalypse Now Redeux
  • Hearts Of Darkness- A Filmmakers Apocalypse (Making Of Apocalypse Now)
  • Hamburger Hill
  • Platoon
  • Hanoi Hilton
  • Full Metal Jacket
  • Casualties Of War
  • Born On The Fourth Of July
  • Heaven And Earth
  • My Lai Four

If anyone has any decent recommendations beyond this list, please let me know, thank you.
There are 2 documentary series that I have listed in the Documentaries thread as well.

Rescue Dawn
Coming Home (about the war but set in the states)
EDIT: nvmnd, already had this one on the list

Last edited:

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would add We Were Soldiers to that list. According to my old man, who was in the war, it rings the truest of the major movies about Vietnam. At the other end of the realism scale, he thinks Platoon is completely full of ****.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good Morning, Vietnam?

i really liked deer hunter, found to be really moving an intense. need to watch platoon and full metal jacket.

Last edited:

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been watching terrible movies in theatres lately gi joe was terrible as expected and evil dead had me straight up laughing in between the gore

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Rescue Dawn
Coming Home (about the war but set in the states)

Thank you Munch. I'll do them both. Never saw Coming Home when it originally came out because I was not a fan of Voight at that time but I certainly am today. Rescue Dawn...had to look that one up...Werner Herzog? In interviews, he always comes across as such an arrogant bastard.....lol...but I really enjoy his films.
My favourite words spoken by Werner are 'salmon carcasses' in Grizzly Man...it just cracks me up, even though the film itself was very sad. Thank you for the recommendations and I WILL watch both.

I would add We Were Soldiers to that list. According to my old man, who was in the war, it rings the truest of the major movies about Vietnam. At the other end of the realism scale, he thinks Platoon is completely full of ****.

Thanks Pen. Had to look this one up as well. I WILL see this for sure.
By the way, what did your dad think of Full Metal Jacket?

[COLOR=FF00AA]Good Morning, Vietnam? [/COLOR]
i really liked deer hunter, found to be really moving an intense. need to watch platoon and full metal jacket.

Good Morning, Vietnam.uhh....well, no, but thank you. It was 'ok' once but has no staying power as a valuable Vietnam war film. It did have its moments though to be fair. I'm startin' to worry about you son, and yes, you do have to watch FMJ and Platoon. ...Watch FMJ first.

Thanks to everyone!....I would love even more suggestions, but please, nothing with Chuck Norris or Sylvester Stallone...lol.
Oh, ..found another one Tunnel Rats (2008) ...haven't watched it as yet but it is on-topic.
Thanks again to all.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Silver Linings Playbook. Loved it!

i dont know why i stil have not seen this.

Good Morning, Vietnam.uhh....well, no, but thank you. It was 'ok' once but has no staying power as a valuable Vietnam war film. It did have its moments though to be fair. I'm startin' to worry about you son, and yes, you do have to watch FMJ and Platoon. ...Watch FMJ first.

twas a joak. ;)

will watch those 2.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads