• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Unforgiven_1.jpg

This one doesn't hold up well. I enjoyed it but I'd never guess it won best picture if I didn't know it beforehand.

On the other hand...

jaws.jpeg

This is a masterpiece. Every shot and every scene contributes. No filler. Can't believe I'd never seen this.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
welp i just watched Cars for the 20th time in the last couple months, i guess for Disney prices i'm getting my money's worth...

i'm not as into it as my 2-year-old but of the Pixar catalog it's one of the better stories. a blithe, fast-lane racer stumbles into forgotten America and discovers his own heart.
LOL. Have to laugh as with my then 2 year old son it was Babe."that'll do Pig, that'll do" Indeed.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm about halfway through "The Day After."

Think I'll watch the last half once things cool down a bit/my paranoia dissipates.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a masterpiece. Every shot and every scene contributes. No filler. Can't believe I'd never seen this.

i'm impressed that you'd been able to avoid it till now. one of the true classic popcorn movies (and the first summer blockbuster). fun fact: spielberg plagiarized himself with the climactic shot of the shark carcass disappearing into the deep (from the end of Duel, another classic). i think he even dubbed in the same 'dinosaur' noise.

btw RIP Tobe Hooper.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
It's been a ****** year for 70s horror directors.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i'm impressed that you'd been able to avoid it till now. one of the true classic popcorn movies (and the first summer blockbuster). fun fact: spielberg plagiarized himself with the climactic shot of the shark carcass disappearing into the deep (from the end of Duel, another classic). i think he even dubbed in the same 'dinosaur' noise.

btw RIP Tobe Hooper.

I knew two things about the movie: how the shark eventually gets killed, and (of course) "you're gonna need a bigger boat."

Tangent:

Does anyone still have Netflix DVD? Is it worth it?

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
1376487915_zd.jpg

I don't know why I watched the whole thing. Wasn't in the mood for something I had to pay attention to.

I feel like this is one of those movies that played (plays?) on Comedy Central constantly.

Interesting to watch Jim Carrey in an early role. Wish he got more screen time.

Wondering if the gas station scene inspired Zoolander...

Also starring the original SNL burnout, Charles Rocket, and a young(ish) Michael McKean as a surfer dude pool boy. (Not his best work.)

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Does anyone still have Netflix DVD? Is it worth it?

Yeah because I've had a few DVDs for ****...literally four years now.

I say yes because much of the library remains DVD only and of course, the special features etc etc etc.

Went to see Close Encounters.

Even though I've seen it before, man its a completely different movie on the big screen. In fact, I resolved to never watch another Spielberg film if it isn't on the big screen. Whoever it was in the pre-feature documentary said that Spielberg's films are really an exercise in saying anything is possible. And it's pretty true. All of his films are in these super-believable everyday places where the most mind-blowing stuff happens. It really is incredible how romantic every one of his films are (except maybe Schindler's List but that's different). He may be the best storyteller of our generation IMO. He certainly is the best portrayer of aliens/UFOs, even if we can now assume that extraterrestrial life would not travel in vehicles like in ET or CE3K, they still are better than anything else we can come up with now! No one seems to get the wonder and awesomeness they should have and it should feel otherworldly. Parts of Prometheus and Alien:Covenenant got it right but it felt more like they were going for an epic scale and intimidation.

Not sure I can really tell the difference between HD and non-HD.

And next week I get to see the re-release of E.T. Beyond excited for that.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
c378cc4aceda164f25025a8560dd8237--kingsman-the-secret-service-secret-service-movie.jpg

Second time seeing this one. (Wife hadn't seen it.) I liked it more the first time. I know it's supposed to be hokey, but I feel like at times they used that as an excuse to let straight up bad stuff slip by. ("It's a self-aware comic book movie! Who cares if the writing is cheesy?! Who cares if the effects look like ****?!)

This is solidly behind Guardians and Deadpool.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
51-09RRl5RL.jpg

Meh. All the dryness of a typical Wes Anderson flick without any of the humor. Gotta appreciate the craft, though.

Once see The Darjeeling Limited, I'm done with the Wes Anderson catalog.

Last edited:

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These two yesterday:

vita-poster.jpg

Grand, though if I had to pick, I prefer 8½.

MPW-47641

Don't believe I'd seen this one since its cinema run in 1984. Well worth a rewatch.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
QuizShowPoster.jpg

This is absolutely fantastic. Has the vibe of the great movies of the 1970s. Just a straight-forward, well executed movie in every right.

Too bad 1994 was stacked with great movies. Forrest Gump, Pulp Fiction, and The Shawshank Redemption were among the other Best Picture nominees.

It's definitely held up better than Unforgiven (which I watched a couple of weeks ago): that's for sure.

If you're looking for something on Netflix, I highly recommend it.

Trad-heads will love the costuming.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member