• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What kind of tie should my boss wear

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Different knots for different ties.  Good, thick Italian ties: four-in-hand.  Thin, narrow English ties: Victoria.  On the off chance that the spirit moves me: half-Windsor.
so, without thinking I have been right. all of my ties are thick and bottle shaped and I use 4 in hand.

leroy

Reaction score
Like Manton, I would rather base on the type of ties for different knots. But I was trained with the Windsor since young and have a tendency to use it in priority for ties that have less hand in fabric.

Those with nice hand like the seven-folds would really present a nice knot and a dimple with a FIH. But it never works for me on those thinner ties.

The other choice for me is the Pratt knot. I choose this over the half-windsor is mainly due to the preference for Pratt's finishing on the knots. A very personal choice.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Short, plump, and travels all the time for work. Not a big surprise about the relationship thing. As for the question at hand, there are different lengths of ties, and I could envision Hermes (which are huge among Asian businessmen) having some ties in shorter lengths to accomodate the generally shorter statures of their customers. He probably needs a medium/thin tie, and probably should use a Shelby or halfwindsor, since the Hermes ties tend to be rather thin. A four in hand would look a little unbalanced on a stout neck, especially if he pulls his knots really tight, as a lot of men are wont to do.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Short, plump, and travels all the time for work.  Not a big surprise about the relationship thing.  As for the question at hand, there are different lengths of ties, and I could envision Hermes (which are huge among Asian businessmen) having some ties in shorter lengths to accomodate the generally shorter statures of their customers.  He probably needs a medium/thin tie, and probably should use a Shelby or halfwindsor, since the Hermes ties tend to be rather thin.  A four in hand would look a little unbalanced on a stout neck, especially if he pulls his knots really tight, as a lot of men are wont to do.
He's a good person, but deep down, I think he is very shy with women he might be even mildly interested in.  The trips are a good excuse.  Next time the conversation comes around to ties, I will have memorized your post so I can deliver it very naturally.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's a good person, but deep down, I think he is very shy with women he might be even mildly interested in. The trips are a good excuse.
Being in academics, I know loads of guys like this. One of my best friends (he will be one of my groomsmen) is virtually impossible to set up with anyone because not only is he fairly taciturn conversationalist in any case, but around women, you'd swear he was doing one of those street performer statue acts. It's too bad, because he is a great guy - honest, trustworthy, a terrific friend who'll have your back at any time - and not too bad looking a guy to boot. Hey, I just hijacked this thread
biggrin.gif

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LA Guy, in the fall i purchased some hermes ties in japan and they are the same length as my hermes ties from europe ......

you'd think the opposite because other designers design their clothes differently for the asian market (shorter sleeve lengths i found for example) just as there is a difference between cuts in a suit, for example, sold in europe (thinner, pants cut to accommodate a flatter rear) as opposed to the usa (bigger with larger rear area)

acole

Reaction score
One of my best friends (he will be one of my groomsmen) is virtually impossible to set up with anyone because not only is he fairly taciturn conversationalist in any case, but around women, you'd swear he was doing one of those street performer statue acts. Â It's too bad, because he is a great guy - honest, trustworthy, a terrific friend who'll have your back at any time - and not too bad looking a guy to boot.
LAGuy, Evil Thread Hijacker...it's about time anyway; I can't take much more of Manton trashing my Windsor knot. Â
sarcasm.gif
Free advice on your "statue" friend: Â It sounds like he's petrified of women and thinks way too far ahead when he meets one he likes. Trying to "set up" someone like this or drag him to clubs etc. is just torture. Â He should find some group activity based on a genuine interest or hobby that he enjoys for its own sake. Â Totally removes the pressure of expectation, and even shy people get a lot more talkative when they're doing something they're passionate about. Â In the course of all this, it's possible he'll become distracted enough to forget that women aren't human and actually attempt a normal conversation.Â
smile.gif
 And if it doesn't work out, it still won't have been a total waste of time. Or, your friend could just wear a Prince Albert knot and carry a stick to fend off all the Venusian robot-women who'll be hurling themselves at him...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads