• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

what is your favorite dress shirt?

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Your thread topic is perfectly legitimate, only slight snag is that this topic has surfaced many times in previous years. Most forum members here wont rediscuss something already covered in depth. Introduce yourself on existing threads, hang around for a few months. Before starting a new thread, use the search facility to find out if the topic has been covered recently (i.e. last year or so).

Bowtiedlad93

Reaction score
Well mine has to be the signature and travelers collection from Jos A Banks. the quality is top notch with out the top notch prices, when you can catch them on sale anyway. It is very low matenence and easily washable no need to send them to be cleaned. the hold upover the day keeing free from wrinkles and and over time as well. I have several shirt 5 years and older that are still in fine shape.

andykoctopus

Reaction score
I dig the traveler stuff from them. The tailored fit works best. I like how they hold up well, don't wrinkle and have a good variety of colors and patterns to choose from.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
I dont care how many times this has been discussed. its one of my favorite topics. ;)

I was thinking this yesterday....Kiton shirts are hands down the best ive owned. I havent worn a shirt with a better collar or fabric. Buy one. you wont be disappointed.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I dig the traveler stuff from them. The tailored fit works best. I like how they hold up well, don't wrinkle and have a good variety of colors and patterns to choose from.
I have three that are over ten years old: 1. An Oxford subtle chalk stripe from T&A 2. A blue and white multi- stripe from Drakes. 3. A Pink Oxford with a semi cutaway collar from Hawes and Curtis (old ownership) A new Finamore stripe and several H&Ks are in contention.

Last edited:

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll chime in as well.

I bought 3 Travelers about a month ago when JAB ran a buy one, get two free sale. The shirts feel nice but below the quality of my Brooks Brothers no-iron slim fits. I've only just worn and washed them so I'm on my way to the laundry room to see if they need ironing after hanging to dry for a day. The BB's feel and look great right out of the dryer and that's tough to beat, even at a higher price.

Though I have Tyrwhitt, Pink and a couple of others (no Kiton or Brioni...yet) the Brooksie SF/NI is my current favorite.

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The most beautiful dress shirt I ever had was from Hilditch & Key in London. They don't do much wrong.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

The most beautiful dress shirt I ever had was from Hilditch & Key in London. They don't do much wrong.
decent shirts.....just cut way too big.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
decent shirts.....just cut way too big.

This was at a time when I was just buying things that I could get 2nd hand, that were approximately the right size. I wasn't so worried about cut and fit (heresy, I know). I had a quick look at their website to see what they sell theses days, and they don't seem to make shirts with 14.5" collars (at least this option is not listed on the shirts I looked at) and they also don't seem to do the modern tailored fits that I would prefer these days, only slim fit at best. So I guess they are pretty 'traditional' and I probably wouldn't find much joy with them any more.

Last edited:

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

I dont care how many times this has been discussed. its one of my favorite topics. ;)

I was thinking this yesterday....Kiton shirts are hands down the best ive owned. I havent worn a shirt with a better collar or fabric. Buy one. you wont be disappointed.

Derek you ever tried Jay Kos? It's been years since I've owned a Kiton shirt (only had 2 and I grew out of both in college) but the couple Jay Kos shirts I have now remind me a lot of them in the collar and material. I will assume the construction is not nearly as nice but wondering if you had an opinion.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

Derek you ever tried Jay Kos? It's been years since I've owned a Kiton shirt (only had 2 and I grew out of both in college) but the couple Jay Kos shirts I have now remind me a lot of them in the collar and material. I will assume the construction is not nearly as nice but wondering if you had an opinion.

Ive never tried jay kos....would be interested in trying them. Kiton shirts are just incredible. whole nuther ball game in terms of shirting...was a HUGE step up from the ermenegildo zegna and turnbull & asser shirts i usually wear.

construction on kitons are unbelieveable, but the part that im willing to pay for is the collar. Id be thrilled to death if i could find a shirt with a collar similar to kiton but with less handwork and subsequently cheaper.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

Ive never tried jay kos....would be interested in trying them. Kiton shirts are just incredible. whole nuther ball game in terms of shirting...was a HUGE step up from the ermenegildo zegna and turnbull & asser shirts i usually wear.

construction on kitons are unbelieveable, but the part that im willing to pay for is the collar. Id be thrilled to death if i could find a shirt with a collar similar to kiton but with less handwork and subsequently cheaper.

Well again it has been a while since I wore a Kiton and the only thing that's kept me from going back is the price point. I find one way or another I ride my shirts hard and end up going through them pretty quickly so I stick to stuff I don't have a breakdown about giving/throwing away.

Again I don't think the Kos are necessarily comparable to Kiton but I found some similarities, especially in the structure, stance and resilience of the spread collars (from my limited experience). Plus I snagged mine (25% silk and 75% cotton) for like $80 off the Bay (they are around $450 retail IIRC). For $80 I think they are good kick around shirts.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

Well again it has been a while since I wore a Kiton and the only thing that's kept me from going back is the price point. I find one way or another I ride my shirts hard and end up going through them pretty quickly so I stick to stuff I don't have a breakdown about giving/throwing away.

Again I don't think the Kos are necessarily comparable to Kiton but I found some similarities, especially in the structure, stance and resilience of the spread collars (from my limited experience). Plus I snagged mine (25% silk and 75% cotton) for like $80 off the Bay (they are around $450 retail IIRC). For $80 I think they are good kick around shirts.

thats what she said.

thanks for the info...ill check out some kos shirting soon. see...this is why i like these threads. always learn something new to check out. :slayer:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads