• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Does Styleforum do for a living? How does this affect the way you dress?

MakingChanges

Reaction score
My first post to the forum. I oversee operations for a design college (IT, Facilities Management, Security, and Government Affairs). I usually am meeting with a variety of people so wear a suit and tie 4-5 days a week with an occasional SC thrown in there.

Trying to slowly rebuild my wardrobe with higher quality pieces.

Jordan

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a teacher in a large government senior high-school. There's no actual dress code for academic staff, except for no shorts, no flip-flops or slippers. Some teachers do dress quite reasonably and appropriately with tailored trousers and dress shirts, no suits or ties though. Sometimes I'll dress up a bit for school, other times I'm quite casual with jeans and polo shirts.

I've found that some of the brands and other things discussed on MC tend to be specific to the USA, and are unavailable or just not relevant here.

Last edited:

Needsmoreshoes

Reaction score
Oh jeez, Ortho...haha. I start with Ortho for my first month of residency in July. I love powertools and hammers just as much as the other guy, but a month is enough
biggrin.gif

I went to med school at a school with a really old school surgery program and the surgeons wore suits and ties far more often than the internists. The school of thought was that if you weren't in the OR you had to be dressed up. There was a legend going around that the Chief of Surgery ran down a resident in a grocery store parking lot b/c he was still in his scrubs. I've heard that some hospitals in the UK have short sleeved white coats and have banned ties. Any truth to that?

With as much time as you'll be spending on your feet, you'll really appreciate a nice pair of shoes. And the nurses will notice that you've stepped it up from the Danskos.
Yup, unfortunately we now operate via a "Bare below the elbows" rule and no ties at all although some older consultants tuck them into their shirts. Apparently it's for infection control but I've got my doubts that it's a genuinely useful measure. Also no lab coats, short sleeved or otherwise for the same reason; I read a fun study where a doctor took cultures from other doctor's ties and coats to find any infection risks and none at all were found so we could dress as we please for health reasons but it's unfortunately the guys upstairs that decide this for us.

You may be interested in this: Read another cool study about patient perceptions where patients with doctors who dress formally but not 'inaccessibly formally' were seen to have more faith in the abilities of their doctor/surgeon; when they dressed well (e.g. a shirt and sportcoat) rather than very formally (a full suit and white coat).

Last edited:

satorstyle

Reaction score
I own an IT company. I tend to wear slacks and and a sport coat most of the time, unless I'm drumming up new business.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm a mack daddy-pimp.
I dress in suits duirng the week.....

SamSpade

Reaction score
Let me basically sum up the existential situation of the typical SF-er:

A status anxious, middle class bourgeois homeboy, of average to slightly above average $$ means, let's say upper quintile of the income distribution (i.e. just enough to feel close enough that some simple signifiers of upper class lifestyle are within reach.) :slayer:

Recommended reading: C. Wright Mills - "White collar", V. Packard - "The Status Seekers".

Frankie22

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Let me basically sum up the existential situation of the typical SF-er:
A status anxious, middle class bourgeois homeboy, of average to slightly above average $$ means, let's say upper quintile of the income distribution (i.e. just enough to feel close enough that some simple signifiers of upper class lifestyle are within reach.)
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Recommended reading: C. Wright Mills - "White collar", V. Packard - "The Status Seekers".
And to sum up the other half, disgustingly wealthy, yet out of touch with reality as they have never worked for a thing in their lives.

And, then, of course, you have the hey broz lemme know what dress pants I should choose, pls. Thx.

DrAvant

Reaction score
Yup, unfortunately we now operate via a "Bare below the elbows" rule and no ties at all although some older consultants tuck them into their shirts. Apparently it's for infection control but I've got my doubts that it's a genuinely useful measure. Also no lab coats, short sleeved or otherwise for the same reason; I read a fun study where a doctor took cultures from other doctor's ties and coats to find any infection risks and none at all were found so we could dress as we please for health reasons but it's unfortunately the guys upstairs that decide this for us.

You may be interested in this: Read another cool study about patient perceptions where patients with doctors who dress formally but not 'inaccessibly formally' were seen to have more faith in the abilities of their doctor/surgeon; when they dressed well (e.g. a shirt and sportcoat) rather than very formally (a full suit and white coat).
I hadn't heard of that study about the physician dress but had a feeling that might be correct. I do think the white coat hyptertension is a real thing and toning it down a bit for patient, while remaining professional is a good thing. As for the ties, I thought they had done studies that showed the ties did grow various bacteria. I guess there's always conflicting studies out there, though I share your sentiment that the MBA's in the upstairs office need to butt-out sometimes.

In the clinic I'm rarely in a suit, usually rocking some chinos or odd trousers and white OCBD with bow or military tie tuck.

antipode

Reaction score
I'm a university researcher in Australia (no one wears suits...). No one ever sees me. I don't see anyone. And since I'm now in an unheated and not cooled office, so I try to keep warm/cool. Mostly go for a neat and tidy look. Comfortable, not too overdressed.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
financial services
suits most days, business casual on rare occasion, jeans only in august when everybody and their mother is in the hamptons (but not me :( )

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I work in planning and economic development for local governments. However, I work on the back end of projects, handling mostly marketing and research, and rarely met with the public. I usually wear trousers or chinos and a button up shirt to the office. In the fall, winter, and spring I'll add a sport coat. In the summer I'll go down to a polo shirt if it's going to be a hot one. I can get away with some pretty casual clothing in this office and nobody would say a word.

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

im an internet critic
...your post from another thread is one of my favorites....

Originally Posted by Trompe le Monde View Post
My job is so ******* unbelievable. I'll try to sum it up by first telling you about the folks I work with:

First, there is this supermodel wanna-be chick. Yeah, okay, she is pretty hot, but damn is she completely useless. The girl is constantly fixing her hair or putting on makeup. She is extremely self-centered and has never once considered the needs or wants of anyone but herself. She is as dumb as a box of rocks, and I still find it surprising that she has enough brain power to continue to breathe.

The next chick is completely the opposite. She might even be one of the smartest people on the planet. Her career opportunities are endless, and yet she is here with us. She is a zero on a scale of 1 to 10. I'm not sure she even showers, much less shaves her "womanly" parts. I think she might be a lesbian, because every time we drive by the hardware store, she moans like a cat in heat.

But the jewel of the crowd has got to be the ******* stoner. And this guy is more than just your average pothead. In fact, he is baked before he comes to work, during work, and I'm sure after work. He probably hasn't been sober anytime in the last ten years, and he's only 22. He dresses like a beatnik throwback from the 1960's, and to make things worse, he brings his big ******* dog to work. Every ******* day I have to look at this huge Great Dane walk around half-stoned from the second-hand smoke. Hell, sometimes I even think it's trying to talk with its constant bellowing. Also, both of them are constantly hungry, requiring multiple stops to McDonalds and Burger King, every single ******* day.

Anyway, I drive these fucktards around in my van and we solve mysteries and ****.

Last edited:

dirkweems

Reaction score
Homer Simpson works for me and Mr. Burns is my boss. When you work with elegant physics and sublime 800 ton components precision machined to a millimeter, you can't show up for work in any old clothes that don't fit.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
_scottyo