• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you think of the AE MacNeil in cordovan? ...

cmeisenzahl

Reaction score
Do they use Horween as their shell cordovan source?

Are you happy with them? Any other thoughts? Seriously considering a pair. Thanks!!! ;-)

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, they use Horween shell for all their cordovan shoes.

Very classic American shoe, if a bit old-fashioned and "gunboat-y" looking.

I tried on a pair in my normal size, but they were a very poor fit--lots of heel slippage. Otherwise I would possess them now.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's a nicely made clunky shell shoe. I like it but I've always been partial to Alden, otherwise I'd probably own it.

QTime

Reaction score
It is a great pair of shoes. Had one pair in #8 shelll and it was a really great shoe. Unfortunately it was too wide for me (EEE) but I had to try them (the price was hot..)

In my opinion I´d prefer the Macneil over the Alden #8. The color is really rich and the quality of that shoe was incredible. If I´am getting a longwing in #8 shell it would be from AE !

Regards,
Simon

adfan

Reaction score
I have both the Alden Long Wing and the AE MacNeil. Before setting your heart set on the AE - here are my thoughts regarding these two shoes - (I personally like the Aldens) :

-yes, the AE is made with Horween Shell leather

-Alden heel support is better. The AE - slips to much in the heel

-the shape of the shoe - looking down at the top of the shoe - the Aldens look more streamlined and not as stocky as the AE

-the Alden sole is more comfortable than the AE. Sure, they are both double leather soled, but the Aldens are more comfortable.

-the Alden - for whatever reason - seem to have a better shine / polish better than the AE.

-Final test - my very trendy wife - really likes the Aldens

Hope this helps, but like everything in fashion - get what you like and what is comfortable to you...

Best regards

chenc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by adfan
I have both the Alden Long Wing and the AE MacNeil. Before setting your heart set on the AE - here are my thoughts regarding these two shoes - (I personally like the Aldens) :

-yes, the AE is made with Horween Shell leather

-Alden heel support is better. The AE - slips to much in the heel

-the shape of the shoe - looking down at the top of the shoe - the Aldens look more streamlined and not as stocky as the AE

-the Alden sole is more comfortable than the AE. Sure, they are both double leather soled, but the Aldens are more comfortable.

-the Alden - for whatever reason - seem to have a better shine / polish better than the AE.

-Final test - my very trendy wife - really likes the Aldens

Hope this helps, but like everything in fashion - get what you like and what is comfortable to you...

Best regards

I have a pair of AE McNeil in burgandy shell, and I love them. When I was shopping for long wings I also looked at the Alden version. I noticed that it has yellow lining like that of Dr. Martens. I haven't seen the Alden in person; can someone comment on how noticeable the yellow color is on the #8?

I thought the McNeils are the more elegant of the two (Alden and AE) - the Barrie last on Alden long wings cannot be described as elegant IMO.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chenc
- the Barrie last on Alden long wings cannot be described as elegant IMO.
Although I have several pairs of Aldens on the Barrie last, I agree with you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads