• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What causes shoulder dimples?

CrimsonSox

Reaction score
What causes downward dimples on the top of a suit shoulder? How can they be fixed?

These are different from divots, which are on the side of the sleevehead. Here's an example of dimples (the suit is worn by Yukio Akamine, who's one of the foremost sartorial experts in Japan). You can see the downward dimple or indentation on the top of the shoulder:

Although he's sitting down, dimples on the top of the shoulder can appear when someone is standing up.

Last edited:

BigRob

Reaction score
Isn't the fabric on the top of a suit supposed to rest flush against your shoulders (trapezius muscles)? It might be that he is becoming gaunt in his old age and no longer fills out his suit.

CrimsonSox

Reaction score
I think the look that's most pleasing for many people is a smooth shoulder, without distracting bumps or dimples. Here's a picture of Akamine at the same age with a smooth shoulder:

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
1. don't sit down
2. don't raise your arm, not even shrug
3. don't have weird shoulder where bones are popping out

More seriously, I don't know. Though I would imagine you can only keep this form happening when you're standing.

CrimsonSox

Reaction score
I have a suit that has a dimple in one of the shoulders, even when I'm standing up with my arms relaxed. There's no dimple on my other jackets. It's a nice suit though, which is why I'd like to fix it, assuming that it's possible.

Last edited:

Dempsy444

Reaction score
Good question for Despos or JeffryD. I agree, it makes the suit look much worse. A couple of my suits suffer from this and it drives me nuts.

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have such a dimple on a Canali suit. In this case the dimple extends from a point where the arm has not been sewn perfectly "flat" into the armhole of the suit. Hence it is a manufacturing issue, which probably could be fixed by a tailor.

However, shoulder dimples can also be the result of ill-fitting coats. One often sees them on one side of the suit only, which is probably the unavoidable result of men with shoulder asymmetries wearing OTR suits.

CrimsonSox

Reaction score
Any luck finding what causes shoulder dimples, like in Yukio Akamine's suit in the original post? The dimples are on top of the shoulder, as opposed to divots, which are on the side of the sleevehead. Nearly 500 views on this thread, so it seems like a common problem.

Dempsy444

Reaction score
Don't really know but a couple of members had a few theories in this thread below. Over at the LL Despos, Shattuck and Logsdail all weighed in with a good analysis of why dimples occurred on one of my suits but unfortunately the LL seems to have deleted that discussion. It was very technical and I can't recall too clearly the explanations.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/219939/what-makes-the-shoulder-area-indent

Last edited:

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Forward shoulders.

When seated, the shoulders can hunch forward and can cause the shoulder to twist, as is the case in the first photo posted. When standing naturally, if the twist occurs on one or both sides, it is because your shoulders are pitched more forward than was accounted for when making the pattern- this can occasionally be fixed by a tailor but it's not cheap. You will usually feel pressure on the shoulder point as well.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Forward shoulders.

When seated, the shoulders can hunch forward and can cause the shoulder to twist, as is the case in the first photo posted. When standing naturally, if the twist occurs on one or both sides, it is because your shoulders are pitched more forward than was accounted for when making the pattern- this can occasionally be fixed by a tailor but it's not cheap. You will usually feel pressure on the shoulder point as well.

The word in bold here is important. This issue is very difficult to correct. Requires proper diagnosis, highly skilled hands and is limited by the lack of outlets on the shoulder that might be available when making or on a finished custom garment but not on RTW.. Also depends on how severe the cause is. Can also be attributed to square shoulders, thick shoulders, prominent bones on your shoulders. Have even seen this caused by a jacket that was too tight under the arms and back due to prominent shoulder blades and it was creating a pull on the shoulder line.

Dempsy444

Reaction score
Thank you. These are incredibly clear and succinct answers. Heck, I even understood them, I think; One question I still have is how do you make sure the shoulder line lays clean throughout standing and sitting given that the shoulders can pitch forward so much when seated? It seems like standing and sitting, therefore, can present two very different shoulder shapes and I wonder how a shoulder line can remain consistent through both positions?

Alex

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads