• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you drinking right now?

Resistant

Reaction score
My Super Bowl pic
629DAC36-06CD-49FA-8268-8DFB8E6414BA.jpeg

tropics

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The 15 has always been my favorite and it was once again on this batch. The 20 is a very close second though. The 10 and 12 years ones are fine bourbons, but they're not even remotely worth the hype; I prefer high-rye bourbons though, so YMMV.

what kind of $$ are we talking for those 4 glasses, out of curiosity?

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like an interesting establishment.

It's a dive bar around the corner from a friend's place in Salt Lake City. It's funny, it's hard finding Pappy or the BTAC collection anywhere else at all and even when you do find it you have to be willing to part with your firstborn to get a glass, but probably due to all the Mormons and lack of drinking, I found almost the whole line up at 3 different bars that night. I had the William Larue Weller and the George T. Stagg earlier in the night also.

what kind of $$ are we talking for those 4 glasses, out of curiosity?

The 10 year was $18, the 20 was $45. The others were somewhere in between those.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The 10 year was $18, the 20 was $45. The others were somewhere in between those.

That's pretty damn good. I've seen them for over $100 an ounce for the 15.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's pretty damn good. I've seen them for over $100 an ounce for the 15.

Yup. It's been a few years since I've last had Pappy due to the craze surrounding it. I couldn't pass up the opportunity to try them again for what passes for a reasonable amount these days.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The county Buffalo Trace Antique Collection lottery went down today.

Managed to score a bottle of William Larue Weller. :drool: One of my grail bottles, never managed to get one before.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats! That Weller is easily my favorite of the BTAC collection. There's not a whole lot of options out there for barrel proof wheated bourbons and that one is exceptional.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So in an effort to avoid paying over-inflated prices driven by mania and modern society's culture of "brag about my swag", I have moved on to trying releases of smaller batch whiskey by new distilleries. I know these guys cannot compete on the "aged" whiskey stage, so I don't taste these whiskies from that perspective. I taste them more for what they are; new whiskies made by people who just enjoy what they are doing and like taking risks. I'd say about 50% of them succeed but when they do, they can make a truly enjoyable whiskey. One of my favorites at the moment is Bluebird out of Phoenixville, PA. They have a small tasting room in Center City here in Philadelphia, and they are making some really enjoyable spirits at affordable prices. Anyone have any recommendations along these lines?

Article 26

Reaction score
So in an effort to avoid paying over-inflated prices driven by mania and modern society's culture of "brag about my swag", I have moved on to trying releases of smaller batch whiskey by new distilleries. I know these guys cannot compete on the "aged" whiskey stage, so I don't taste these whiskies from that perspective. I taste them more for what they are; new whiskies made by people who just enjoy what they are doing and like taking risks. I'd say about 50% of them succeed but when they do, they can make a truly enjoyable whiskey. One of my favorites at the moment is Bluebird out of Phoenixville, PA. They have a small tasting room in Center City here in Philadelphia, and they are making some really enjoyable spirits at affordable prices. Anyone have any recommendations along these lines?

I can’t comment on American distilleries, however, I enjoy small batch freshies as well. In Perth, whipper snapper - maker of upshot - is a current favourite. Indeed, i’m On the waiting list for the quarter-cask release.
(They do a pretty mean moonshine as well).

Whisky should never be about the show-pony, nothing should.

Resistant

Reaction score
thats new to me. I expect most states have small distilleries coming up. I try them when I can and will look form more. Off my head

NY. Taconic
NH. Tamworth
RI. Sons of Liberty
MA. Putnam
TX. Balcones
Wa. Westland
Irl. West Cork Distillery

I do find some of these younger distilleries to be rather expensive but also creating whisky that is totally exceptional compared to over aged whisky. In fact I have not been a fan of hugely over aged whisky ever. So those 50 and 60 year malts must be an enormous let down at 50,000$. When a solid 2bills buys something much better

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads