• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you drinking right now?

denning

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My understanding of the louche from absinthe is that it is the natural oils in the liqueur that separate out once the right proportion of water is added. Similarly, it may be the oils from the orange Peel that cause this as well. I have aged rye with vanilla bean several times with no cloudiness, but I find orange peel can make it a little hazy.

denning

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Phew, at least I don't have to pull my foot out my mouth this time.

On another note, I made a Cure for Pain. One of my favourite cocktails, so complex, which isn't surprising given that it is a complex recipe.

Courtesy Death & Co.:
¼ oz Rye Whiskey (~100 proof)
¾ oz Bourbon
¾ oz Sweet Vermouth
½ oz Tawny Port
½ oz White Crème de Cacao
1 splash Campari

I don't have Crème de Cacao, but I do have a bottle of Mozart Dry (a distilled chocolate spirit, not chocolate flavoured). But there is no sweetness, so I add a smidge of rich simple to get the same effect as Crème de Cacao (https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/12551/mozart-dry-chocolate-spirit).

Any other recipes I could use the Mozart Dry for?

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Unlike me with my stoopid theories. ;) I've just always assumed it were some ingredients in anise that caused the louche effect. Oils make much more sense though.

On topic: Gin & Tonic, Negroni, and now some 2004 Bierzo Pagos de Posada. Longer detox phase beginning later this week. ;)

Last edited:

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
82 was such a good year and sadly all of mine are gone. :(

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

82 was such a good year and sadly all of mine are gone. :(

Agreed, very good. Mine are too ... gone that is ... that was the last bottle.

Last edited:

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chateau Respide-Medeville 2010. Still young, but delicious.

Piob, would you remove the orange/vanilla if you were to store the bourbon longer? I guess it's fine to keep it in there for another few months?

This has resolved itself. There's no bourbon left now. :slayer:

Edit: To anyone else: do try it out. Barely any investment and the result is glorious.

Last edited:

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

On another note, I made a Cure for Pain. One of my favourite cocktails, so complex, which isn't surprising given that it is a complex recipe.

Courtesy Death & Co.:
¼ oz Rye Whiskey (~100 proof)
¾ oz Bourbon
¾ oz Sweet Vermouth
½ oz Tawny Port
½ oz White Crème de Cacao
1 splash Campari

I don't have Crème de Cacao, but I do have a bottle of Mozart Dry (a distilled chocolate spirit, not chocolate flavoured). But there is no sweetness, so I add a smidge of rich simple to get the same effect as Crème de Cacao (https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/12551/mozart-dry-chocolate-spirit).

Any other recipes I could use the Mozart Dry for?

The Cure for Pain, also one of my great favorites!

I would also suggest the 20th Century, quite an old Gin and Lemon juice based cocktail that usually takes a hint a creme de cacao -- my recipe uses Tempus Fugits, and it suffers from the ugly color, so your Mozart would make a much more visually appealing drink.

My recipe is not handy, but this looks right: http://imbibemagazine.com/recipe-twentieth-century/

I based the Art Deco cocktail off of the 20th Century. There are also versions that use a Reposado instead of gin, and that can work well also.

~ H

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The Cure for Pain, also one of my great favorites!

I would also suggest the 20th Century, quite an old Gin and Lemon juice based cocktail that usually takes a hint a creme de cacao -- my recipe uses Tempus Fugits, and it suffers from the ugly color, so your Mozart would make a much more visually appealing drink.

My recipe is not handy, but this looks right: http://imbibemagazine.com/recipe-twentieth-century/

I based the Art Deco cocktail off of the 20th Century. There are also versions that use a Reposado instead of gin, and that can work well also.

~ H

I only remember Cure for Pain cuz your review made me order one at Death and Co

Last edited:

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A very cold schooner of Four Pines summer ale.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
But Italian beer is good. Just don't drink Peroni. Baladin is pretty awesome. Up and coming region for craft beer

Last edited:

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
50/50 Amaro Nardini and Cocchi Americano, on ice.

They play nice together. Good stuff.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads