• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you drinking right now?

fairlynerdy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Started with White Birch Hop Session Ale. Recommended. Then Red Hook Summerhook. Serviceable. Moved onto Glenburgie 15. Never had it before. Nice, malty + menthol. Onto Lagavulin 16...mmm. Been a long week, and this is a needed, pleasant end to it.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any suggestions on cocktail bars in Munich, Brussels, or London?

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Opening a bottle of Alesmith's Wee Heavy Scotch Ale now. Cellared for another 1.5 years.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For how long should one cellar beer? Are there guidelines? I haven't some abbey style ales at12 put that have a few years on them, as well as a five year old Barley wine.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It really depends on the type of beer. Some benefit, some don't. Especially if there's aromatics in the beer, like vanilla or cocoa, those notes can die relatively quickly, afaik. I'd suggest heading over to the beer thread. hc etc are far more knowledgeable.

If you have several bottles of the same beer stashed away, it can be fun to have one every 6 months/a year or so to notice the progress. Abbey style ales and barley wine sound good for cellaring. Five years might be a good time to open it though?!

I haven't bought beers specifically for cellaring purposes [edit: not true, I've bought a dozen bottles of Schneider Weisse's Mein Aventinus Barrique last year on sale specifically for cellaring], but I've bought quite a few US craft beers 1.5 years ago, of which many are still in my cellar. Only wild ales and "dark" beers though. Not sure how long wild ales survive. Maybe I should drink them rather sooner than later...

Last edited:

Resistant

Reaction score

For how long should one cellar beer? Are there guidelines? I haven't some abbey style ales at12 put that have a few years on them, as well as a five year old Barley wine.

You are doing just fine. Those are at the max peak limit to cellar beer. Perfectly timed for Thanksgiving.

It can be a hit and miss process. It's best to know the beer going-in because in three years the age may kill what you enjoyed to begin with. You can have a fresh bottle on hand then add fresh beer to the aged and perk it up a tad if it failed to age well

Resistant

Reaction score
Typical guidelines.

Minimum 9% better staying above 10%.
Brewer skill is displayed here as some just don't hold up (mad elf by troegs good American ale to age)
3-5 years max steady wine cellar climate
Bottle conditioned ale preferably for me
Belgians stouts heavy ales strong ale sours hold up
Expect some flattening almost nitro carbonated
Subtle flavors dissipate with time
bold flavors mellow
fruits bitter or sweeten

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Camera pointing down into the jar gave an odd perspective but rind of five oranges, two vanilla pods, and a palmful of toasted French oak chips:

It's home on the shelf for the next month:

Thinking about setting up a batch of it too. Have you added the toasted chips last time? Wild Turkey 101 should be fine, right?

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Thinking about setting up a batch of it too. Have you added the toasted chips last time? Wild Turkey 101 should be fine, right?

I've not added the toasted chips to the orange/vanilla infusion but I started using them to get more life out of my small oak barrels I had been aging mixed cocktails in. Those barrels are only good for a few batches before all the good stuff gets leached out of the wood so I bought a bag of charred French oak chips on Amazon for something cheap. Really worked in the used up barrels so figured I'd try with this.

FWIW, I used Buffalo Trace for this batch.

bradp

Reaction score
cognac with bitters, simple, a dash of luxardo and a dash of absinthe. really smooth mouthfeel.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bundaberg ginger brew & JW black. The ginger beer is a bit sweet, added a dash of cider vinegar (no lemons/limes), and some real ginger. Anyway, ginger beer + blended Scotch is pretty damn delicious!

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annmil44