• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you drinking right now?

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Call me a philistine, but I prefer Laphroaig PX Cask to Lagavulin 16yo.

Of course, they're both nice.

erictheobscure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Drinking a surprisingly cheap glass of Heidsieck champagne at Oriel inside termina 3 of LHR. Went to the Bar Americain at the Savoy last night. The cocktails weren't perfect (their current variation on an aviation seemed to me to be inferior to an actual aviation). But it's worth it to sit in a near parody of civility. Especially when your friend pays for all the drinks with her hubby's credit card.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

what do you think?

I have trouble scoring light rums beyond "good" or "bad." It was certainly "good." Did a Hemingway daiquiri and it held up well. I've been drinking more rhum agricoles this summer so there's a bit of an adjustment.

MrGimpy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Its National Scotch Day, so having a Black Grouse as it seems a bit too warm for a single malt.

No one told me it was National Scotch Day. I'm sure it's just a marketing ploy, but I don't need much convincing to drink scotch so I've just poured a Dalwhinnie 15.

tropics

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
christ. it was national tequila day only a few days ago. we'll be a mess by the end of the week.

jays978

Reaction score
Manhattan
- 1.5 Bulleit rye (Rittenhouse after a long day)
- 0.5 Noilly Prat (Carpano Antica if I'm feeling lavish)
- Bitter Truth

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of my favorite cocktails is the Negroni, for the endless number of variants that can be created by switching any of the three ingredients. I've been drinking a version I ordered at a Philadelphia speakeasy a few weeks ago: equal parts rhum agricole blanc, Gran Classico bitter, and Cocchi Rosa; tiki bitters. Serve in a rocks glass over a big cube of ice.

Another one of my favorite cocktails is the Sidecar. I've summerized it by using Clear Creek Pear Brandy as the spirit. After some experimentation, I've decided that lime works better than lemon as the citrus (as with most sours made with clear spirits). Sweetener is Combier, which I prefer to Cointreau due to its crispness. Playing around with substituting some Green Chartreuse in place of some Combier.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aviation right now.

As a sidenote, are most commercial crème de violettes artificially colored? I made my own from actual dried violets, and it's a very reddish shade of purple, and the drink turns a very pale pink. I've never gotten the famous blue. Were the flowers I made my liqueur from defective, or are the commercial ones just colored with a bunch of blue dye?

Regardless, the crème de violette tastes right and the Aviation tastes wonderful, so it's irrelevant, but I am curious. Dye does seem like the obvious answer.

Yeah, the only naturally colored one I can find is Tempus Fugits' 'Liquore de Violettes' but it does not work very well in an Aviation to my taste; almost too floral, and the color is a very faint rosy violet. The R&W isn't too terrible; the Bitter Truth looks like a vat of dye, and doesn't taste all that good in any event.

Flor de Cana 4

Yeah, Flor de Cana 4 is my second favorite white rum for mixing, after El Dorado 3 -- the demara sugar rums seem to have more character as a white rum than anything other than an agricole.

One of my favorite cocktails is the Negroni, for the endless number of variants that can be created by switching any of the three ingredients. I've been drinking a version I ordered at a Philadelphia speakeasy a few weeks ago: equal parts rhum agricole blanc, Gran Classico bitter, and Cocchi Rosa; tiki bitters. Serve in a rocks glass over a big cube of ice.

That sounds like a Sara Justice cocktail; must be the Franklin - did you sit upstairs or down? The Franklin has really changed in the last six months; it relaunched and now does bottle service and has only a one-page cocktail menu that articulates a limited vision of cocktails; not that the particular vision is bad, but merely that it is like a band whose music you can always pick out for its constant similarity to itself. The Franklin used to have a lovely almost ten-page menu that was divided into a wide range of cocktails that presented some real options in terms of style and era. Really disappointed.

Sometime, try 1.0oz rum (Appleton V/X, Plantation 6 or the like); 0.5 oz big rum (something with a lot of esters and big banana or vanilla flavors -- like Zaya); 1.0 M&R sweet vermouth, 0.75 Campari, and a barspoon Fernet. Stirred over ice with an orange peel to garnish. I think you will enjoy it.

~ H

turkoftheplains

Reaction score

I was wondering about that too.

Anyway. Martinez and a Rusty Nail for me.

Realize I'm replying to a month-plus old post, but how do you like your Martinezes?

I've noticed they vary widely-- I've settled on either old tom or Holland gin and 2:1:1/4.

I also think Carpano Antica is superior to Cocchi Torino in this application.

Last edited:

jays978

Reaction score

Which one of the The Bitter Truth bitters?

The original!

I neglected to mention the compulsory orange oil spritz and rim, although among this group of refined gentlemen & women, I thought it an unnecessary mention. ;)

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member