• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you drinking right now?

turkoftheplains

Reaction score
Quote:
Agreed. I'm sure I'm treading old ground here, but a Martini must meet the following criteria: -Gin (London Dry, Plymouth, or New American) -Dry vermouth (from a fresh bottle) -ratio between 1:1 and 6:1. (2:1 - 3:1 is optimal.) -+/- orange bitters (this is traditional) -absolutely no other liquid ingredients– you wouldn't dump cherry syrup in your Manhattan, after all, even from the Luxardo cherry jar. -Be stirred. (Bond is right about knit ties and wrong about this.) Acceptable garnishes: -lemon twist -lemon peel expressed then discarded -cocktail onion (homemade pickled pearl onions, most of the store-bought ones are lousy)– call this a Gibson if you want, though the original Gibson probably didn't have an onion -pimento-stuffed olive Martini drinkers (and cold Vodka drinkers who fancy themselves Martini drinkers) tend to believe there is room for personal idiosyncrasies beyond the options listed above, and seem to think that the more of these they have, the more "personality" they are showing. I suspect these are the people who add 10 minutes to your morning coffee with their asinine special orders. The Martini is not and will never be "your" drink, and you should be grateful God is lending it to you.

Last edited:

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Martini is not and will never be "your" drink, and you should be grateful God is lending it to you.

According to your criterias, there are already hundreds of variations possible, so I suppose there is quite of a bit of personal preference involved.

turkoftheplains

Reaction score
Quote:
Within those guidelines, sure, there's an entire universe of different (and good) Martinis. My comment was aimed at crimes against the Martini justified as "personalization."

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I posted this somewhere recently:

I used to be a martini "purist," which by the way, turkoftheplains ain't one. Here's a definitive guide to martini service by the man himself:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

As I said in an earlier post a "vodka martini" actually means something. Sure, there's technically not such thing, but order a "Kicker" or "Kangaroo Kicker" and you'll get blank stares (that's the real name for a "vodka martini"). Hell, as I said in a prior post, talking about a "martini glass" is actually bullshit as that bad boy is a cocktail glass.

I too chuckle at someone that pours vodka and olive juice into a shaker and calls it a "martini" but it's a real thing these days. I'll also say I have a recipe of my own for martinis that includes .25 of olive brine. Three oz of my chosen gin or vodka, 1 oz of my picked vermouth, and .25 of olive brine and a dash of orange bitters. Yes, turkoftheplains, if it doesn't have orange bitters it's not a martini!

What I'm drinking right now: a nice portion of the cask aged manhattans I put down at Thanksgiving with a splash of Luxardo liqueur, my homemade chocolate bitters, and an orange rind.

Last edited:

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
sipping on a rather large glass of Taylor Fladgate 20yr Port. Too sweet in the opening, nice woody dry fruity finish.

turkoftheplains

Reaction score
Quote: I agree wholeheartedly on the orange bitters and regret the +/-. I also agree that a Martini is whatever the hell Jamie Boudreau says it is. I have also played with the Martini– olive brine (or similar flavors) can be incorporated in a handful of interesting ways. The spirit in which this is done is completely different from ordering a "Martini" made by shaking vodka and olive brine with exactly seven ice cubes in a flower vase and setting it next to a bottle of vermouth facing the equator. I don't drink many Martinis these days. Brown, bitter, and stirred is more usual for me. Your barreled Manhattans sound good. What I'm drinking right now: Oogie, neat. It's cold here.

Last edited:

turkoftheplains

Reaction score
Quote:
Speaking of homemade bitters, I just filtered, sweetened, and diluted my first attempt at homemade garam masala bitters. Cardamom is too dominant. I'm calling them chai bitters now. I'll use less cardamom next time, or add it later.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Quote:
Speaking of homemade bitters, I just filtered, sweetened, and diluted my first attempt at homemade garam masala bitters. Cardamom is too dominant. I'm calling them chai bitters now. I'll use less cardamom next time, or add it later.
Yeah, playing with the timing of the ingredients for steeping can really make a difference.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally found a cocktail my wife will drink--an Aviation. Which I happen to enjoy as well. So, we bought some Creme de Violette and are drinking a couple right now.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Laphroaig 18. Thanks boss. I really miss having a non-scotch-drinking boss who gave me very decent 18yo scotch for Christmas, after finding out that I liked Lagavulin and asking around for something 'along that line' that I might like.

~ H

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads